I just realized. I don't hear of many flashing their 2021-22s

Ok…here’s my opinion. Coming from a roadracing background with years of nice sounding modified exhausts I must admit the stock Tracer 9 sounds pretty good - on the pipe. What bothers me is how low it sits. With my lowering link and fork tubes raised (30” inseam🙄) the muffler/cat drags over all speed bumps and even pulling up my driveway gutter, and onto my Handy lift. 
Hoping that an aftermarket pipe would have more clearance and personally I would bond with a little more sound (like Moto2 Triumph engines😆).

Just my 2 cents🙂

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member

I am waiting for Ivan to come out with a flash for the 2021+. I have never had a flash done before but he comes highly recommended from what I have read. It will probably add some performance and throttle upgrades  but I would also like the cruise control to work in all gears and speeds. Right now you can only engage it in 4th gear at 32mph+. I haven't contacted him but I imagine he is having a hard time finding a bike to buy for calibrating and testing. According to his website that is what he does to ensure the flash works as promised. I went to the dealer where I bought mine to have the recall done and there wasn't a single Yamaha on the floor. Honda, Kawi and Suzuki were well represented but Mamma Yama was conspicuously missing. My brother-in-law had to travel 300mi. a couple of months ago to purchase the only 2021 FJR he could find.

12 hours ago, 2NDCHILDHOOD said:

I am waiting for Ivan to come out with a flash for the 2021+. I have never had a flash done before but he comes highly recommended from what I have read. It will probably add some performance and throttle upgrades  but I would also like the cruise control to work in all gears and speeds. Right now you can only engage it in 4th gear at 32mph+. I haven't contacted him but I imagine he is having a hard time finding a bike to buy for calibrating and testing. According to his website that is what he does to ensure the flash works as promised. I went to the dealer where I bought mine to have the recall done and there wasn't a single Yamaha on the floor. Honda, Kawi and Suzuki were well represented but Mamma Yama was conspicuously missing. My brother-in-law had to travel 300mi. a couple of months ago to purchase the only 2021 FJR he could find.

I had hoped that I could get the cruise control to work at all speeds (for some pseudo-gymkhana practise) but in the Woolich racing software it's not an option unfortunately. I think I did read that Ivan's flash does provide this option.

I seem to have a faint memory of someone saying that it might be harder or even impossible to do on the new Tracers. Better security? I could be completely wrong about this but just another possible reason why it's taking so long. 

• 1 month later...
On 4/22/2022 at 2:07 AM, petshark said:

I had hoped that I could get the cruise control to work at all speeds (for some pseudo-gymkhana practise) but in the Woolich racing software it's not an option unfortunately. I think I did read that Ivan's flash does provide this option.

I seem to have a faint memory of someone saying that it might be harder or even impossible to do on the new Tracers. Better security? I could be completely wrong about this but just another possible reason why it's taking so long. 

cruise control works at any speed with Ivan's flash for the 900. His flash will lock out the ECU from any other software or tuner, however. Each to their own; the most frequent compliment I get for my 900 is the sweet sound the Graves exhaust extracts from the triple....

I have had Ivan tune the ECU on a couple of my bikes.  His work is without peer.  The throttle response on the Tracer was much improved with his flash.  

What his flash did for my 2013 Kawasaki was nothing short of black magic.  Picked up a lot of midrange and peak power.  Throttle response could not be any smoother and more responsive.  His flash for this bike is one of the reasons why I decided not to sell it when getting the Tracer.  It is such a joy to ride and feel so connected to the bike every time you twist the throttle. 

An aftermarket exhaust is a good idea if you get your ECU flashed.  A richer fuel mixture could possibly clog your catalytic converter over time.  That, or gut the stock exhaust.

• Thumbsup 1

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

On 4/18/2022 at 2:23 AM, petshark said:

If your signature is still correct: your 2020 definitely benefits from a tune, even without after market exhaust, but this thread is about tuning the new model. So far everyone agrees that it doesn't need a tune. 

Personally I find the stock exhaust beter looking than any after market exhaust. The less I see it, the better. Lucky for me! 8) I would even go further and say that if Acrapovic was a cheap Eastern European brand that all factories fitted by default and the stock exhaust that we have now was built by a racing parts company then most people would think that the OEM is the better looking one. IMO it's more about the mass hype and sexy names than how it looks. I have considered an acra for the sound but it looks like a downgrade to me visually. I have 120 hp at the wheel after the ECU flash so there's no real power gains neither.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, it's all subjective and I can certainly understand people enjoying their exhausts. I'm just happy with the stock one.

The 19-20 Gen2 models do benefit from a tune, but not nearly as much as the FJ's do as the base throttle is much improved over the older bikes.  I suspect it's both less necessary with the Gen3 T9's as the new motor eliminates the "dead spot" around 4000-4500 rpm and fuelling is again improved over the 19-20 models. 

5 hours ago, johnmark101 said:

I have had Ivan tune the ECU on a couple of my bikes.  His work is without peer.  The throttle response on the Tracer was much improved with his flash.  

What his flash did for my 2013 Kawasaki was nothing short of black magic.  Picked up a lot of midrange and peak power.  Throttle response could not be any smoother and more responsive.  His flash for this bike is one of the reasons why I decided not to sell it when getting the Tracer.  It is such a joy to ride and feel so connected to the bike every time you twist the throttle. 

An aftermarket exhaust is a good idea if you get your ECU flashed.  A richer fuel mixture could possibly clog your catalytic converter over time.  That, or gut the stock exhaust.

Older EFI bikes typically gain enormously from a flash, but the gains are much smaller these days.  2013 EFI is very, very far from modern EFI tuning.  

I'll note that when you're getting a flash - and I can't speak for Ivan specifically, but for the tuners I've dealt with - they'll give you a flash appropriate for your intake and exhaust setup.  You cannot (well, should not) use a flash intended for an aftermarket decat exhaust system on one with a stock exhaust and cat, or the reverse.  You need to be getting a flash specific for your setup, it is definitely not a "one size fits all" situation.  Minor changes like exhaust brand don't really matter much, but the presence/absence of a catalytic converter definitely does.

So, if you're not intended to change your exhaust, just get a flash for that purpose and you'll still reap the benefits of the flash without harming your cat/exhaust.  Flash changes these days go well beyond air/fuel mixtures; or at least any flash you should be considering does. 

• Thumbsup 1

29 minutes ago, Larz said:

Ivan's flash for the GT 900 was made using a bike with an Akro full system... 

He only has the one?  That's... Disappointing.  I'm a huge fan of 2WDW for specifically this: They'll hook you up with a flash appropriate for your setup.  I mean, it'll be fine with any full decat exhaust system, as what all the full systems have in common is that they're extremely free-flowing; you're generally buying build quality and cosmetics.

So, if you're running stock exhaust, getting that flash is definitely not a good idea - it's objectively dumb, really, right up there with putting on a decat aftermarket exhaust system and not flashing/tuning the bike for it.  But there's lots of good flashes available for stock setups, and you definitely benefit from them.  At least, for the first and second gen Tracers; I don't know about availability for the new ones yet.

• Thumbsup 2

19 hours ago, Wintersdark said:

I'll note that when you're getting a flash - and I can't speak for Ivan specifically, but for the tuners I've dealt with - they'll give you a flash appropriate for your intake and exhaust setup.  You cannot (well, should not) use a flash intended for an aftermarket decat exhaust system on one with a stock exhaust and cat, or the reverse.  You need to be getting a flash specific for your setup, it is definitely not a "one size fits all" situation.  Minor changes like exhaust brand don't really matter much, but the presence/absence of a catalytic converter definitely does.

So, if you're not intended to change your exhaust, just get a flash for that purpose and you'll still reap the benefits of the flash without harming your cat/exhaust.  Flash changes these days go well beyond air/fuel mixtures; or at least any flash you should be considering does. 

Well.......of course.  Both bikes received full Akrapovic exhausts when reflashed.

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

I passed on Ivan's flash and went with Vcyclenut because Ivan wouldn't do a stock exhaust flash on my 2012 FZ-01.  He kept pushing a full exhaust AIS blocks, etc all for the small sum of $1,900.  Sheesh. Vcyclenut did it for $200 and boy did it run great and still got 42mpg.

On the positive note I have over 6K miles on my 2021 T9 and found that Yamaha has finally figured out how to do the EFI right.