Long Term Review - 2022 T9GT - Motorcyclist Online

Thanks for posting, well maybe!  There you go tempting me again 🙂  I looked at one they had in the demo fleet at the Barber Vintage Festival.  Had too much to do and couldn't get a ride in.  I did mention the limitation on the top case and side cases by Yamaha and the fella agreed with me - it's nuts but that what corporate says.  Dealer in Auburn AL had a couple and wanted to sell them and said he's make me a deal.  Not sure about the dual screen but I could adjust to it.  Hope they follow the lead of others and go to a display which can interface with a smart phone.  

• Thumbsup 1

I will say that I do like the bike despite the fugly side cases, but the dash and the curved seat are deal breakers. I will pass and maybe if I didn't buy my next bike the time they fix the Tracer, I will upgrade. Right now the 2019 I have is good enough. 🙂

• Thumbsup 4

Regards, Grumpy Goat | 2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT & 2016 BMW R1200RS

After buying a 2021 T9GT  in 2021 and taking it a a few long distance rides covering 8K miles I can say in my opinion that i like the seat, dash and windscreen.  All work as designed.  I did have a defect when picking up the bike and with COVID and supply chain it took a while to get the replacement part but I was able to make a work around that worked.

Now about the dash, does anyone remember two analog dials and a bunch of idiot lights on your beloved old bike?  The dash is able to give you all the information you need or want at a glance.  Nothing wrong about that.  The seat, it is firm and wide agreed but after spending 8+ hours in the saddle I felt fine, also I wear Depends under garments to make things worse.  The windscreen does allow a lot of air to hit you but it is adjustable and at 5'10" I find the there is no turbulence at 80+mph compared to my FZ-01 with a Zero Gravity touring screen.  Another thing is the helmet, mine is a Nolan 100-5 which is pretty aerodynamic and fits great so my head isn't bobbing around.

Bottom line is that at 72+YO I felt I needed a bike with all the electronic rider aids to help me ride on.  This bike provides all the aids needed.  OK so I ride in D-Mode 1 or 2 and TCS on 1 and suspension on 2 (Chicago streets are rough) also have cornering ABS on.  Cruise control allows me to rest my arthritic shoulder on long stretches of slab.

Overall this bike is the best bang for I buck that I ever owned or ridden.

BTW I rode a 2019 Tracer 900 in Spain and France and didn't like the dash at all but it was better than the Ducati Monster I rode in the Alps.

• Thumbsup 8

I enjoy my '19 GT and have put 25k miles on it. 

If I was to upgrade I think I would look at the 9 GT and it would be hard to look past the GSX-S1000GT+ at a similar price point. 

Lots of great bikes on the market.  Perhaps even the Guzzi V100 Mandello.

• Thumbsup 3

Reviewer says Yam puts the 2022 Tracer oil change interval at 6k miles.  Oil filter every other, at 12k miles.

My 2021 manual sez 4k miles.

Assuming this is correct, and that Yam has increased the oil change interval on the Tracer, I wonder if it is Ok to increase the interval on the 2021...

• Supporting Member
On 10/26/2022 at 5:47 PM, BarryGT said:

An annual oil change is never bad and a filter change is easy.

I hope I never get to a point of changing the oil ONLY once a year. 😢

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I think the Tracer 900 GT is 4,000 miles and calls for non synthetic oil.  The Tracer 9GT is 6,000 miles but calls for 6,000 miles.  I think that is what is going on but not certain.  LOL I can't keep up with the various YamaLube oils.   I always run full synthetic oils.