$2.60 handlebar "Grip Puppies"

I know $20 Grip Puppies foam handlebar grips are nice, but have read they still fail after a while. I have used the $9 no-names and was looking at finding a bulk buy so can have spares on hand to replace every year or two when they get nasty or torn. I came across a one meter piece of foam handle grip for $13 on Amazon. Cut into ten 4" pieces and you get 5 sets of grips. Just passing info along as an alternative.

Foam Tubing for Handle Grip Support, Pipe Insulation, 28mm ID 38mm OD 1m Length Black

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

I had the Grip Puppies on my old FJ-09, not my new Tracer. That being said, I never had any problems with them on the FJ09. They were very comfortable, reduced fatigue when riding long distances, and looked good on the bike. I had mine for 2 years before I upgraded to the tracer, so I can't vouch for long term use, but I did like them very much.

• Premium Member

Due to arthritis in both my hands, despite them being size 11, the small increase in grip diameter due to the GP excentuated my hand pain, so I cut them off without damaging my OEM heated grips.

If they work for you they're pretty good but needed to be cleaned when they get slippery.

Heavy bar end weights and/or filling the bars full and solid with Crosmam Copper BBs significantly reduces vibration if that's an issue for you better than GP IMO.

• Thumbsup 1

On 11/2/2022 at 5:02 PM, Brian said:

I know $20 Grip Puppies foam handlebar grips are nice, but have read they still fail after a while. I have used the $9 no-names and was looking at finding a bulk buy so can have spares on hand to replace every year or two when they get nasty or torn. I came across a one meter piece of foam handle grip for $13 on Amazon. Cut into ten 4" pieces and you get 5 sets of grips. Just passing info along as an alternative.

Foam Tubing for Handle Grip Support, Pipe Insulation, 28mm ID 38mm OD 1m Length Black

Ah, found it...

https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-Tubing-Handle-Support-Insulation/dp/B0951ZLSJL/ref=sr_1_2?crid=2OB00AWE6VJ9M&keywords=Foam+Tubing+for+Handle+Grip+Support%2C+Pipe+Insulation%2C+28mm+ID+38mm+OD+1m+Length+Black&qid=1667514981&sprefix=foam+tubing+for+handle+grip+support%2C+pipe+insulation%2C+28mm+id+38mm+od+1m+length+black%2Caps%2C149&sr=8-2

That looks like it's a lot thicker than Grip Puppies, and the outside is closed cell foam, not that grippy open cell stuff. Hmmm. Let us know how it works out, and if they hold up.

I love Grip Puppies, and I have them on two of my bikes, but I'll agree they are ridiculously overpriced for about 2.37 pennies' worth of foam.

Edited by bwringer

On 11/3/2022 at 9:55 AM, Ride365 said:

These are my go to and all I use now......made to order and supporting a home business. 

https://www.originalbeemerbuddies.com/

Just bought 2 sets of those.  Wanted the thin for both but the local, Canadian, supplier only had original for my Tracer.  I like them, although I prefer the thin, which I got for my CRF250 Rally.  They seem like they'll last better than the foam.

• Thumbsup 1

There is never enough time or money to do it right the first time.

4 hours ago, Heavy said:

Just bought 2 sets of those.  Wanted the thin for both but the local, Canadian, supplier only had original for my Tracer.  I like them, although I prefer the thin, which I got for my CRF250 Rally.  They seem like they'll last better than the foam.

Yeah I do the thin as they are my preference, they are pretty resilient and for sure closed cell and don't suck up water. :) I may order me up a few spares, and I hope somebody buys the business when the current owner retires and such.

• Supporting Member
8 hours ago, Heavy said:

I had these on the bike back in 2016/17 (bought locally at MC Innovations). I liked them at first... but they failed within a year (first summer). The glue backing on the Velcro strip let go after the bike's been sitting in the sun for a couple hours. YMMV.

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

10 hours ago, piotrek said:

I had these on the bike back in 2016/17 (bought locally at MC Innovations). I liked them at first... but they failed within a year (first summer). The glue backing on the Velcro strip let go after the bike's been sitting in the sun for a couple hours. YMMV.

I hope that doesn't happen to mine.  I really dislike the stock grips.

My kids  bought me the original Grip Puppies for $20 for fathers day on amazon.  Your really get what u pay for. 

Although there were a bear to put on - hot water and a bit of soap- after 3000kms theyre perfect and high quality.

Ive seen knockoffs disintegrate in short time.  I found the stock grips on the Tracer 900 far too small in diameter and these have been a huge improvement if you have long fingers.

On 11/5/2022 at 7:08 AM, Heavy said:

I hope that doesn't happen to mine.  I really dislike the stock grips.

I have never experienced that issue with the 2 sets I've owned, also doesn't appear to be a common complaint from numerous forums. :) 

• Thumbsup 1

I had Grip Puppies on my BMW F800GT and they lasted OK.  2 years and 28,000 miles and they were a bit worn but worked OK.  Thought about changing them but changed all the parts of the bike - traded for the Tracer 900 GT 🙂 

When I first got the F800GT had a problem with tingling in my hands but realized was gripping the bars tightly so focus on relaxing and didn't have any more issues.  When I first got the Tracer 900 GT the stock grips seemed small but after 2,400 miles to get home I was fine with them and haven't thought about Grip Puppies on it.

When I installed my Grip Puppies used an air compressor with a very small nozzle (from Harbor Freight) the blow air on the inside of them.  They slid right on with no problems at all. 

On 11/6/2022 at 9:28 AM, Ride365 said:

I have never experienced that issue with the 2 sets I've owned, also doesn't appear to be a common complaint from numerous forums. :) 

I thought about it and figured it must have been a fluke situation.  If the sun did it, imagine the failure rate for people running their grip heaters on high. 😲

• Supporting Member
3 hours ago, Heavy said:

I thought about it and figured it must have been a fluke situation.  If the sun did it, imagine the failure rate for people running their grip heaters on high. 😲

There is probably a different rate of deterioration between heat from the grips and the suns UV rays.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***