GPS Installation

Suu Kyi

Hi, have all the bits and pieces and am currently in the process of connecting the Garmin but I have one final question please. Is there an easy path to route the wire from the connector (once connected) through the back somewhere to the GPS, whether that's installed on the handlebars or higher up above the instruments? Thanks.

Hi, all  installed and working a treat. Soldering the wires from the unit to the plug inserts took the longest as pretty fiddly due to the small size of the plug inserts. Other than that it was fairly straight forward. All the panels and cowling came off fairly easily. Took her for an 80km test run after and it's all working, no smoke coming from anywhere. Pretty pleased with the result. A big thank for all the responses and advice on this forum, couldn't have done it without your help.

GPS Power Supply 3.jpg

GPS Power Supply 2.jpg

GPS Power Supply 1.jpg

GPS Power Supply 4.jpg

Edited by Suu Kyi
Edit Photo
  • Thumbsup 3

I've had two Zumo 390s come off 3 or 4 times. Twice I was able to retrieve quickly with only some minor road rash. Two other times they were run over by vehicles before I could retrieve. Once only the screen was broken when a compact ran over it and I was able to have that replaced. The other time a dually 3/4 ton pickup ran over it and totally smashed it.

3 hours ago, lather said:

I've had two Zumo 390s come off 3 or 4 times. Twice I was able to retrieve quickly with only some minor road rash. Two other times they were run over by vehicles before I could retrieve. Once only the screen was broken when a compact ran over it and I was able to have that replaced. The other time a dually 3/4 ton pickup ran over it and totally smashed it.

OUCH!! Some $$ lost as well :( 

Also is this the same 'lather' from the COG/C14? 

On 2/9/2023 at 12:48 AM, lather said:

Yea, must admit the securing lug doesn't inspire a lot of confidence. That said once located it appears to be quite solid. Have seen a post where someone attached a stick-on tether to the back of the unit and secured the other end somewhere, guess could use a carabiner. Something to consider as they're quite expensive and don't want to lose or damage it. Another option is to use a Tourtech locking mount but they're quite expensive. Any suggestions?

I mentioned previously that my ZUMO 396 has been solid in the cradle, even bouncing around back roads on my little Honda.  I think, as long as you click it into the cradle securely, you're good to go.

small Lookout Sept 9_21.jpg

Edited by Heavy

There is never enough time or money to do it right the first time.

Yes, the cradle for the 3xx series is secure. All of my losses were due to my careless attachment. You have to insure that you get the "click" and the latch is engaged. I have four bikes with cradles on each so I am constantly moving the Zumo around and tend to get careless. After losing lots of $$$ I have finally got into the habit of insureing a secure attachment every time.

Yes I am lather from Cog/C14, the lather that has had two two C14s totaled and one C14 engine blown up. After my last crash and total I am looking to replace with a lighter, easier to handle bike and the Tracer 9 GT is at the top of my list.

GoodbyeC14.jpg

• Thumbsup 1

I switch my Zumo XT between my Tracer 9 GT and C14 and as long as it's clicked in firmly, it has not budged or accidentally un-clicked. I do have a case with a tether attachment for peace of mind but also when I do carry its used as a handle.

Glad to see you're here Lather!!! I still have my 08 C14 and appreciate the raw power/speed of the 1400 but between commutes, short rides, versatility and drop in weight, the T9GT is now my fave!  I do miss the keyless fob, TPMS and electric windshield at times, luckily added an aftermarket TPMS and the windshield is actually decent once set. The T9GT came in perfect timing as I reached over 100K on my C14 last year, so now adding some mileage on this bike!

• Supporting Member
On 2/10/2023 at 1:36 PM, Suu Kyi said:

Yea, must admit the securing lug doesn't inspire a lot of confidence. That said once located it appears to be quite solid. Have seen a post where someone attached a stick-on tether to the back of the unit and secured the other end somewhere, guess could use a carabiner. Something to consider as they're quite expensive and don't want to lose or damage it. Another option is to use a Tourtech locking mount but they're quite expensive. Any suggestions?

FWIW Aung San and if it saves one person losing their expensive XT this is what I do.  Again, FWIW and of course everyone else's mileage may vary - 

On every occasion, I always use both index fingers to apply upward pressure to the locking tab while pushing the device home with my thumbs to (hopefully) ensure that it is locked in solidly - i.e. just don't rely on the spring strength of the tab to seat it fully home.

* Important - On mine, I do feel that the tab has a smidge more of movement left to fully seat home into the locking slot of the XT when doing this.  Is it crucial?  Can't say, but I feel better that it feels fully home and there's no more upward movement of the tab to be had.

Then I give the GPS a good tug in all directions to make sure that it's mounted and it has always felt solid and to date have not lost it. 🤞

Hope this helps but if you want that 100% feeling of security then a lanyard is the way to go.  As always - YMMV.

👍