Wet weather gear? Pants in particular.

dazzler24

• Supporting Member

So, I decided to go for a ride today even though the forecast was mildly sketchy with the chance of a shower or two.

No problems I say to myself, I always carry my wet weather pants and the jacket's rainproof insert both of which I rarely use as I try to avoid wet weather as much as possible.

Today it was time to pull on the pants for the first time in yonks only to find that the rubberising compound that they are lined with had turned into a tacky substance that wanted to stick to everything it touched as I tried to pull them on.  Not happy Jan!

I had them stored on the pillion seat under a stretchy net for quick access and I think the sun has worked its thermal magic on them and they are now rubbish tip fodder.

So, given my brief above as to the amount of time that I seek to wear wet weather gear, what do the experts out there who are regular wet weather gear wearers suggest that won't break the bank and are relatively easy to get on/off while on the side of the road.

Is a onesy worth considering? Pros/cons?

TIA

PS the ride was great otherwise.  Nice and cool with a bit of rain about so once again - not complaining. 😁🏍️

• Premium Member

These rain pants went up at least 10 bucks and I got them one sale for I think 85 for the yellow which don't match my Olympia rain jacket because it's more yellow than hiviz lime green but who the f cares!

https://www.aerostich.com/clothing/rain-gear/rain-gear/aerostich-ultralight-rain-pants.html

• Supporting Member
23 minutes ago, 2and3cylinders said:

These rain pants went up at least 10 bucks and I got them one sale for I think 85 for the yellow which don't match my Olympia rain jacket because it's more yellow than hiviz lime green but who the f cares!

https://www.aerostich.com/clothing/rain-gear/rain-gear/aerostich-ultralight-rain-pants.html

Thanks 2and3.  They do look good and also compact but, there's always a but, for me here in the land down under I'd have to get them direct from Aerostich in the US as they don't have distributors here.  The pants plus shipping would put the cost of those somewhere north of AU$225. That's a lot money for a pair of occasional use rain pants.

Thanks for the input though.

For occasional use, I usually go with Frogg Toggs.

Very waterproof, durable enough, cheap, VERY lightweight and compact. The material feels nice, and the stuff actually breathes so you don't end up with swamp ass. It's stronger than it seems.

The Road Toad is made for motorcycling; a bit thicker stuff, with reflective strips and a heat-resistant area for those unfortunates with exposed exhaust pipes. Unfortunately, it's also sun-absorbing, invisible black. There's nothing more miserable than black gear on a hot day with intermittent rain.

https://www.froggtoggs.com/road-toad-reflective-rider-s-pant

I usually go with one of the lighter options in a lighter color. I had a pair of orange "Classic" pants for many years, and the Pro-Lite line packs down very compact. On the Pro-Lite, I add a little square of tape at the ankle to keep the bottom from flapping. The Classic has elastic at the ankle.

I have no idea whether you can get Frogg Toggs in Australia. Here in the US, you can get the Pro-Lite line in the outdoor/fishing department of any Walmart anywhere, pretty much every outdoorsy/fishing/boating/hiking store stocks a selection, and the Road Toad line is often found in motorcycle shoppes.

https://www.froggtoggs.com/mens/mens-rainsuits/mens-rainsuit-classic?page=1

The jacket is also worth carrying if you're wearing mesh on a hot day and the forecast is a little iffy. Cut the hood off, and you're all set.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, dazzler24 said:

Thanks 2and3.  They do look good and also compact but, there's always a but, for me here in the land down under I'd have to get them direct from Aerostich in the US as they don't have distributors here.  The pants plus shipping would put the cost of those somewhere north of AU$225. That's a lot money for a pair of occasional use rain pants.

Thanks for the input though.

I figured that and offered them as a sample of what's available.  You always buy direct from them regardless of where you live. 

It's a visa versa thing with AU products often here...

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

I've used Frog Togs for decades but they don't other than the pro fold down as compact as the 3 ply nylon laminate from aerostitch which folds down to 1/3 of my frog tog pants.

Considering they're made from recycled milk bottles the frog togs are pricey

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member

I have had a pair of MSR Pak Pants for decades that I keep in my side bags.  They are a slip-on, slip-off over pant rain shell.  Grab a pair if you can find them used as these specific ones are discontinued.  If you shop for off-road motorcycle or hiking gear you might find something similar.

I have been on a few road trips where the weather seemingly went from summer to winter and then back to summer again throughout the day, usually going over high elevation mountain passes.  The over pants have wide leg openings with zipper and an elastic waistband, they easily slip on and off in no time when the weather suddenly changes.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
18 hours ago, bwringer said:

For occasional use, I usually go with Frogg Toggs.

Very waterproof, durable enough, cheap, VERY lightweight and compact. The material feels nice, and the stuff actually breathes so you don't end up with swamp ass. It's stronger than it seems.

The Road Toad is made for motorcycling; a bit thicker stuff, with reflective strips and a heat-resistant area for those unfortunates with exposed exhaust pipes. Unfortunately, it's also sun-absorbing, invisible black. There's nothing more miserable than black gear on a hot day with intermittent rain.

https://www.froggtoggs.com/road-toad-reflective-rider-s-pant

I usually go with one of the lighter options in a lighter color. I had a pair of orange "Classic" pants for many years, and the Pro-Lite line packs down very compact. On the Pro-Lite, I add a little square of tape at the ankle to keep the bottom from flapping. The Classic has elastic at the ankle.

I have no idea whether you can get Frogg Toggs in Australia. Here in the US, you can get the Pro-Lite line in the outdoor/fishing department of any Walmart anywhere, pretty much every outdoorsy/fishing/boating/hiking store stocks a selection, and the Road Toad line is often found in motorcycle shoppes.

https://www.froggtoggs.com/mens/mens-rainsuits/mens-rainsuit-classic?page=1

The jacket is also worth carrying if you're wearing mesh on a hot day and the forecast is a little iffy. Cut the hood off, and you're all set.

Thanks all for your inputs.  I appreciate it.

Frogg Toggs US has a note on their site (shipping info) that they are not shipping internationally ATM .  There are sites here that sell the gear but none in stock - which confirms the previous sentence.

Having said that there is some 'classic' stock available at one outlet.  Colours aren't great but beggars can't be choosers and the price is right.  These have the pants and a jacket with a removable hood - no need to cut off.

Two questions please -

1.  Is the 'classic' line (jacket and pant) compact enough for the intended purpose?

2. Sizing?  My riding jacket is a size 42 (M).  I take a 32" pant and I'm 5'10'' and ~175lbs.  Would a 'L' size be my fit?

Thanks again to all.

• Supporting Member
15 hours ago, Ride365 said:

Gore-Tex gear is your friend, no need for anything over your existing gear ever again. :)

Yes, I hear you but lots of folding green $$$ is required for that option over here.  If I was in an environment where rain was ever present then it would definitely be a consideration.

Thanks.

• Supporting Member
15 hours ago, betoney said:

I have had a pair of MSR Pak Pants for decades that I keep in my side bags.  They are a slip-on, slip-off over pant rain shell.  Grab a pair if you can find them used as these specific ones are discontinued.  If you shop for off-road motorcycle or hiking gear you might find something similar.

I have been on a few road trips where the weather seemingly went from summer to winter and then back to summer again throughout the day, usually going over high elevation mountain passes.  The over pants have wide leg openings with zipper and an elastic waistband, they easily slip on and off in no time when the weather suddenly changes.

Thanks Brian.  I had a quick look for these but they are like the proverbial rocking horse sh$t to find.

Thanks for the input.

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

In my opinion frog togg classic is not packable and takes up too much room

They also in my opinion do not hold up for bike use and do tear and fray relatively essily. So the ultra light version probably will also not hold up, in fact there's a review stating the guy wore it on his bike and it immediately tore in 2 places...

IMO for the money a nylon suit like from Olympia is the best option if their uncoated and breath.

• Thumbsup 1