Seat reshape, 2020 GT

I just spent the last 45 minute searching to see if I could find any info on reshaping the stock seat ... and didn't find anything.

I'm wondering if there is enough foam in the seat to do a "seat slope mod" without raising the front of the seat.  I'm inseam challenged and thought I might remove foam from the rear of the seat to lower it and reduce the slope.

Anyone gone this route?

There is never enough time or money to do it right the first time.

21 minutes ago, Heavy said:

I just spent the last 45 minute searching to see if I could find any info on reshaping the stock seat ... and didn't find anything.

I'm wondering if there is enough foam in the seat to do a "seat slope mod" without raising the front of the seat.  I'm inseam challenged and thought I might remove foam from the rear of the seat to lower it and reduce the slope.

Anyone gone this route?

Takt it to an upholstery shop. Lots of the work on bike seats. Try someone who makes seats/cushions for wheel chair bound clients.

• Thumbsup 2

57 minutes ago, Heavy said:

I'm wondering if there is enough foam in the seat to do a "seat slope mod" without raising the front of the seat.

I took my seat to a custom seat shop and watched removal of a lot of the OEM foam ('22 T9GT), but he also added the improved foam and shaped it to my butt. So yea you can probably do the removal but highly advise bringing it to someone experienced in this area.

IMG_8548.thumb.jpg.357a9580bbc2bd5dfcc8a8082d43c48e.jpg

• Thumbsup 4

I'd be happy to get the seat a little lower, if possible.  Think the Seat Concepts goes the other way, a bit.

Removing foam from the back of the seat should help with the height and the slope.

She's a two-fer, if there's enough foam for me to scoop some out.

Still haven't really got a definitive response yet.  I may just have to jump in and see for myself. 

I put one on my 2013 Wee Strom but sold the bike before riding it much. You use your pan and the kit includes new foam and cover. The new foam made the seat a little taller and the nose was a little wider, as SC stated on it's web site at the time. The cover was made of material that reduced the forward slide. I was going to shave the foam but my bike buyer was very eager so I let it go. Can't say how I would rate it. SC had good ratings thohgh.

I say go for it Heavy, you can be the guinea pig.  It won't be hard to find a replacement stock seat if it goes bad, I know I have one collecting dust in my garage.  Along with a Corbin that I don't use.

• Supporting Member
On 6/5/2023 at 2:07 PM, robzilla said:

I took my seat to a custom seat shop and watched removal of a lot of the OEM foam ('22 T9GT), but he also added the improved foam and shaped it to my butt. So yea you can probably do the removal but highly advise bringing it to someone experienced in this area.

IMG_8548.thumb.jpg.357a9580bbc2bd5dfcc8a8082d43c48e.jpg

How do you like your seat from Rich's?  I have had mine for almost 6 years and put 65k miles on it and couldn't be happier.  Conversely, I bought a Corbin for my VFR last year and don't like it AT ALL, it is unbelievably hard and uncomfortable.  Lesson learned, I will never settle for anything less than a ride-in custom built seat on any other bike I buy in the future.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

54 minutes ago, betoney said:

How do you like your seat from Rich's?  I have had mine for almost 6 years and put 65k miles on it and couldn't be happier.  Conversely, I bought a Corbin for my VFR last year and don't like it AT ALL, it is unbelievably hard and uncomfortable.  Lesson learned, I will never settle for anything less than a ride-in custom built seat on any other bike I buy in the future.

Loving my Rich's custom seat! I'm able to put in some long ride/saddle time without getting so-called "monkey butt" or any seat discomfort. Just from the last 2 weekends here from Western WA to Leavenworth & Wenatchee aka three pass blasts (combo of either Stevens, Blewett, and Snoqualmie; or Cayuse, Chinook, White or Snoqualmie) it's been fantastic. Over 1500 miles in the last two weeks so that says a lot about the seat. Now I added a new problem, the OEM tires are now needing replacement. :) Just hit 7200 miles on the Tracer I bought new back in August!

Yes it was kind of pricey but luckily Rich is local to us (his website for those who do not know => https://www.richscustomseats.com ) For the newer Tracer's, its kind of hard to get other good seats without paying big shipping then waiting for days or weeks, plus adding time to test out the ride. I've already tried the seat slope thing but for me it wasn't enough and I needed that extra comfort.

So yea, I agree if you have the time and $, definitely invest in a good seat like Rich's! Luckily my C14 also has a good custom seat and its NOT Corbin.

saddleferrywaiting.thumb.jpg.7cfd89164a43e295f2c309cc2fa742b1.jpg

Chinook.thumb.jpg.737ac84dc9eb3eb530738f37c2a7fc60.jpg

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Jfundo said:

I say go for it Heavy, you can be the guinea pig.  It won't be hard to find a replacement stock seat if it goes bad, I know I have one collecting dust in my garage.  Along with a Corbin that I don't use.

Challenge accepted!    😉

cgain.jpg

Edited by Heavy
  • Thumbsup 1
  • Haha 1

• Supporting Member

FWIW, I love my Seat Concepts, especially now that it's broken down a bit.

https://www.tracer900.net/topic/4812-fitted-new-seat-concepts-touring-seat/?do=findComment&comment=130011

I had a Corbin on a DL1000 and it was very comfortable...albeit more slippery than the Seat Concepts.

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

I have an appointment with Rich's this month.  I was going to go the Corbin route as I have one on my FZ1 and it was fantastic. My brother had a custom one done on his BMW about 10 years ago from Rich's and says it is the same as when he got it done.

• Thumbsup 3

On 6/8/2023 at 6:25 PM, betoney said:

I have a Bagster DeLuxe saddle and its amazing, better than a Sargent or Corbin from my firsthand experience. Custom saddles are great for most, but they are a bit too wide and bulky for my personal tastes. :)

• Thumbsup 1