Selling my 2020 Tracer 900GT

So after some time of thought I have made to decision to sell my 2020 Tracer 900GT.  Why you may ask!  2023 has been an interesting year, actually the last year has been interesting.  13 months ago had a couple of episodes of afib which landed me on a blood thinner.  Although I had no more episodes I had an ablation (plus COVID!) with the hopes of getting off the blood thinners.  At the same time was referred to a urologist as my PSA had jumped up.  Well one thing lead to another and I was diagnosed with prostate cancer earlier this year.  Had surgery and it is gone but was a tough time for my wife who lost her father 4 1/2 years ago to prostate cancer.  On top of all that mother-in-law almost died in February due to COVID and her neglecting herself.  Only reason she survive is my wife spent two days spoon feeding her ice chips and ensure!  Just a MIL gets over that I had the cancer diagnosis!  So wife has had a tough year.  On top of all that traffic and drivers are worse and the fear of going down has weighted more heavily in my mind.  

For a year or two have been contemplating what comes when I get too old and the bike gets too heavy.  CanAm Spyder and Vanderhal were my favorite thoughts.  A couple of weeks ago a local dealer had a demo day and I drove/rode both.  Each nice and interesting in their own way but not a real replacement, more of a cruiser type replacement.  I wanted something that handled well and had the open air see all around experience like a motorcycle.  When looking a the Vanderhal and the prices which ranged from $42,000 to $48,000 I had the thought - and it really was a random thought for me - what about a convertible.  Miata and BMW Z4 came to mind.  I'd seen a newer Miata at a track day recently and it was going very nicely and seemed to have descent power.  So on to CarGurus to see what Miatas were available and at what prices.  Last week went and looked at a used one that I never would have picked - wrong color and an automatic but the more I looked into it the better it fit for my purposes.  A fun car for long trips out west with the top down and fun drives locally but also something my wife can drive so if she flies out and meets me we will be able to have fun in the mountains or whoever I happen to go.  It is the base model with the 16" rims but as I thought about that for long trips and uncertain roads they work better as more sidewall and not as easily damaged.  Still capable enough for an occasional track day.  Automatic is a good unit and well tuned to the car and has paddle shifters with a manual mode and a sport mode.

Only after I decided to buy the car did a really find out how much my wife has been worrying about my motorcycle particularly the long trips.  I am keeping my scooter for use at the track and around the neighborhood.

I'm taking the Tracer back more stock and will be selling the Yamaha top case (39L) and rack separately.  Undecided about the Givi fog light mounting bar and lights.  Will probably take the LED turn signals off and sell them.  Also will be selling the virtually new SW Motech tank bag and tank ring.  Will post up an add in a few days.  In the meantime please feel free to PM me if interested.  Will sell the stuff on the less expensive side.  Bike has 28,000 miles on it and is in good condition.

• Thumbsup 5

• Supporting Member

Dang all the rotten luck, @PhotoAl...I'll miss your insights... Unless you decide to linger :)

Glad to hear you have a path forward that works for you.  Thanks for all of your contributions.

• Thumbsup 6

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

• Supporting Member

Sorry to hear on one level, but super happy for you on another.   It’s good to be able to walk away from a career of riding on your own terms, and it sounds like this is the right time for you.  No regrets, and a lot of fun memories still to be made with the new Miata.   

Please do stick around.  It’s a neat community here… 

-Scott 

• Thumbsup 3
  • Like 1

• Supporting Member

There comes a time when decisions in life have to be made and I think we all know 'inside' when those times arrive.

I know I've enjoyed your input and insights within these hallowed corridors and as you're hanging around I'm sure there will be more to come.

All the best going forward for you and yours. 🙂

• Thumbsup 4

I knew several yrs ago I needed to get something lighter than my R1100RT as moving it around the garage became a chore. My WeeStrom and KLR were still good. I got an F800GT like you but it was way too buzzy. Then I decided my house was getting to be more than I wanted to take care of so I sold it and moved to an apartment which neant too many bikes for room I had. My son lives 1000 mi away and an apartment would be easier to walk away from than a house should I have health issues which I know will come sooner or later. So I bought my 2030 tracer 900gt. I thought about the alternatives you mentioned but they just arent me and cost way to much vs worth IMO. I still ride trying to get 2000-3000 mi trips in 2-4x each yr and shorter trips of 2-3 days several times ea yr. 

I gad a 2008 Miata mx5 PRHT, which was a blast, more so than a Vet of yrs ago. Wish I still had it.

We all have to face what age brings us. It comes sooner or later and we have little to no choice. But it comes. I think of all the great rides over my now 66 yrs of riding and some great memories and all the great stories, rally pins, small towns, camping etc. I know you do too Al. Those won't be lost because we decide its time to back off. Most of my friends and family are envious about what I've done riding. I wouldn't change it.

Enjoy this next phase of your life. It will have different adventures even if not what motorcycling gave you!!

• Thumbsup 5

• Supporting Member

Look after your health. A roadster like a Miata looks like a great solution to continue motoring around with some wind in your hair. Enjoying the experience with your wife is a huge bonus. I know a small roadster is in my future at some point.

• Thumbsup 2

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Good luck in your next chapter Al. We’ve all enjoyed your input, insights and humour. I think many of us on here are of “a certain age” and will face the same choices you face. FWIW I think you’ve made the right decision for you and your wife and I hope you both enjoy many years of happy motoring. 

• Thumbsup 1

Thanks all!  Last week I rode it to the bike shop for a presale inspection.  It was a bittersweet ride but a lot of fun.  LOL got it all in, some good acceleration, a couple of good corners and the idiot who moved over on me on the interstate.   Sold it to the bike shop - know them well and have done business with them before.  Asked if they would be interested in the bike sent some photos and they made me a good offer.  I have been in there many times just checking out bikes and hopefully it will go to a good home.

• Thumbsup 1

as noted by another poster, when (not if) the time comes I would enjoy a Miata, but no way I can fit into one. 
I am looking at some older BMW roadsters, for a similar solution.  I would also like a convertible.  Probably 5-6 years away, but still like to read about other riders thought process/solution.  thanks

• Thumbsup 1

Fortunately I fit just fine in the Miata.  I wanted to go to something steadier but still want the out in the wind stream experience as best as possible.  Not the same but still able to look all around and see everything.  Wanted something that was good for long trips with a minimum of fuss.  Early in my thought process was the CanAm Spyder but it seemed more of a cruiser than a sport vehicle.  Every trip I wind up going thru one or two larger cities.  The interstates are crowded and fast paced.  The Tracer can handle that just fine, with good reserve power available even if running "with the flow" at 80MPH.  The CanAm seemed to not have the reserve at those speeds.  

My base requirement was something that would be good for a long trip like I've been doing on my Tracer yet still have the open air out in the elements feeling of a motorcycle.  Knew very little about the Miatas but have seen lots on the track particularly the older ones.  The older ones are way down on power.  After a bit of research figured out there are 4 generations of Miatas (NA, NB, NC and ND).  The ND started with 155HP but went to 181 in 2019 which is not too bad in a 2,400 pound car.  Have seen a ND2 on track that looked stock but was going very nicely.  Other cars I thought about were the BMW Z4 and the Honda S2000.  The BMWs with good HP gets expensive and the S2000s are great but older.  Wound up with the Miata, 2 years old and low mileage so should be an easy car to take on a long trip with less chance of a breakdown.  

• Thumbsup 5
  • Like 1

Think I'd go the extra mile for an S2000 ... if one can still be found for less than a fortune.  pile-of-money-cash-300x245.jpg280px-HondaS2000-007.jpg

Edited by Heavy

There is never enough time or money to do it right the first time.