Clutch weirdness

When I shift, especially down shift, I can feel it through the clutch lever. It’s like a click. Is this normal? I’ve never had a quick shifter and am wondering if this is a characteristic. The clutch seems to be adjusted correctly. I did buy the bike used. Thanks. 

10 hours ago, CPD419 said:

When I shift, especially down shift, I can feel it through the clutch lever. It’s like a click. Is this normal? I’ve never had a quick shifter and am wondering if this is a characteristic. The clutch seems to be adjusted correctly. I did buy the bike used. Thanks. 

My BMW has an autoblipper (as opposed to my 2020 Tracer 900GT) and when I do a clutchless downshift (or upshift) I do not feel it through the clutch lever. That bike has a hydraulic clutch. Other bikes I have ridden with auto blippers and hydraulic clutches work similarly to my BMW. My Tracer is the first bike I have ridden (as far as I can recall) that has a quickshifter and a cable clutch and I do not believe that clutchless shifts up transmits anything to the clutch lever, but then I am not feeling for it either, i.e. when I an quickshifting up my fingers are not on the clutch.

One of the "reasons" I have found people like to use to justify a cable clutch (or excuse a lack of a hydraulic clutch) is for more "feel". I have not had the need for that feeling ...

• Thumbsup 1

Regards, Grumpy Goat | 2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT & 2016 BMW R1200RS

If you have a 21 or up, you don't use the clutch for shifting up/down with a quick shifter........that's what a quick shifter does. ;) Be sure on the up shift that you aren't letting up on the throttle, but on downshifts you close the throttle.

Edited by Ride365

No it is with normal shifting sometimes up and most of the time down that I feel the click. When I use the quick shifter I’m not touching the lever. It’s mostly on a clutch downshift. 

2 hours ago, CPD419 said:

No it is with normal shifting sometimes up and most of the time down that I feel the click. When I use the quick shifter I’m not touching the lever. It’s mostly on a clutch downshift. 

I experience the same click on my '22 T9GT.

Clutch is adjusted properly so never gave it a thought.

• Thumbsup 1

29 minutes ago, Ziggy105 said:

I experience the same click on my '22 T9GT.

Clutch is adjusted properly so never gave it a thought.

Thanks for the response. I just didn’t want to be hurting anything since I bought it used. 

3 hours ago, CPD419 said:

Thanks for making that clarification. Since I don't have an autoblipper on my Tracer I cannot comment from personal experience on that bike, but I suspect that it is normal and part of the "feel" that you get with a cable actuated clutch.

Regards, Grumpy Goat | 2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT & 2016 BMW R1200RS

10 hours ago, Ride365 said:

If you have a 21 or up, you don't use the clutch for shifting up/down with a quick shifter........that's what a quick shifter does. ;) Be sure on the up shift that you aren't letting up on the throttle, but on downshifts you close the throttle.

Hey 356, Noticed you said 21 or up, I'm looking at a 2019 Tracer GT. Current bike is 2015 FJ09, So for the 2019, is it clutchless up only. Also, when riding conservatively like in traffic, I often shift at low RPM,s. I have never rode a bike with quick shift. So I guess I'm trying to ask, when ridding conservatively, can I use the clutch and when I do, I can expect it to shift like my 2015? And would that hurt anything? Thanks David 

1970 DT-250 / 1972 250MX / 1973 360MX / 1974 250MX & 1974 CZ 400 Red Frame & SC 500 / 1978 YZ 250 / 1979  YZ250 / (2) 1980 YZ 250 / 1986 YZ 490 / 1989 YZ250 WR / 1994 YZ 250 / (2) 2002 YZ 426 / 2007 YZ 450 / 2007 DR 650, 2015 FJ 09 / 2020 YZ 250

I guess I’m a little paranoid about it because I generally don’t like to buy used bikes. I got a good deal on it from a friend so wasn’t real concerned. A lot of new technology I wanted but not used to at the same time. The quick shifter is the tits by the way. 

1 hour ago, foxtrot722 said:

Hey 356, Noticed you said 21 or up, I'm looking at a 2019 Tracer GT. Current bike is 2015 FJ09, So for the 2019, is it clutchless up only. Also, when riding conservatively like in traffic, I often shift at low RPM,s. I have never rode a bike with quick shift. So I guess I'm trying to ask, when ridding conservatively, can I use the clutch and when I do, I can expect it to shift like my 2015? And would that hurt anything? Thanks David 

Yes to all that. 
I wouldn’t shift at too low of an rpm however, remember the CP3 like the revs!

-Skip

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
57 minutes ago, CPD419 said:

Yea I don’t. 

The happy spot in this motor is around 5k rpm.  If you run the revs too low it starts to feel labored, sluggish and vibey.

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

On 6/29/2023 at 10:03 PM, betoney said:

The happy spot in this motor is around 5k rpm.  If you run the revs too low it starts to feel labored, sluggish and vibey.

Yup that sweet sweet smooth triple is a revving beast........let er rip!!!!!

• Like 1