Riding boot sole repair suggestions sought.

dazzler24

• Supporting Member

After a ride today I noticed that my faithful and comfortable Alpinestars S-MX1's have started to part company with their soles!

I started to gently pull at them and it's apparent that the original glue that was used has lost its integrity and they were coming away easily so I removed the soles completely.

I'd like to try and resurrect them for a few more hundreds of Kms if possible as they're in reasonable nick otherwise.

Suggestions for a good quality waterproof boot glue is being sought from those that have been there, done that please.

20230815_163942.thumb.jpg.6fff8aae85badc4cb12e3b509b3fe0ce.jpg

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member

Try 'Shoe Goo', it creates a waterproof seal if needed. If all else fails I recommend you upgrade to the Klim Outlander GTX. Pricey but well worth it. Light, wide fit and truly waterproof.

https://www.klim.com/Outlander-GTX-Boot-3926-001?quantity=1&color=82&page=1&cur=USD

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Ride365 said:

Time for new boots. :)

Agreed.

But... not to gainsay the wisdom of the crowd, but I've had issues with Shoe Goo letting go prematurely, I thought, especially in situations like this where it was required to flex. Maybe it was just me.

I'd stick (heh) with an actual contact cement intended for use in footwear.

It's labeled, oddly enough, "shoe cement" in various brands. The brand you'll see most often is "barge cement".

And before you proceed, get in there with rough-ish grit sandpaper and do what you can to remove the remnants of the old failed glue. Apply according to the directions on the can, and devise a way to clamp the ENTIRE sole firmly.

Honestly, If there's a cobbler shoppe anywhere around, I'd just let the pros handle it.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member

Shoe forms to stretch boots and shoes. And then you can clamp it to a board.

I presumed too much not to mention cleaning the old adhesive off.

If you don't want to be able to rebond or replace the sole, a low-modulus (flexible) epoxy will never fail if done properly. 

I've checked into locally to boot people who really know what they're doing

The big advantage they have is they have is a big sanding belt to take down the old shoe to match an entirely new sole.

I think I have one wide enough. But i'd have to put my inline 15a  potentiometer on it because it spins too fast.

Vibram makes a couple of perfect soles for my TCX Gtx Italian touring boots which are in otherwise great shape.

Forget the warranty though either way. 

• Supporting Member

Another vote for Shoe Goo, I have repaired a few pair of riding boots and the Shoe Goo repair has lasted for several years, I have never had it come undone or had to re-apply. 

• Thumbsup 3

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member

I've got a lot of faith in my neighbourhood shoe repair shop.  They're great.  They barely speak English, but it doesn't matter because they always immediately understand what I'm after.  They're busy nearly all the time, a good indication of a thriving business.  They haven't let me down yet.  When a pair of shoes / boots can be in excess of $200, a $30 (or whatever) fix that helps them last a few more years is well worth it to me.

It just so happens my own Alpinestars SMX-3's have lost a zipper pull - should be an easy fix for them.  I still have the Velcro fob so I'm sure they can get them back to near perfect.  The zip tie I have on there now kinda works but isn't the best...

• Thumbsup 2

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

• Supporting Member

Thanks guys for all of your sage advice (as usual).  New shoes are always nice as a few of you have suggested and it may still come to that but I hate throwing out what otherwise are perfectly good boots - not to mention the fact that they are around AU$250 to replace like for like.  @Heli ATP- I do like the look of those Gortex Klim Outlanders mind you ....

@bwringer & @knyte - There is in fact a local cobbler and I will ask for a quote as they are the experts in this game after all and with all of the right boot tools and proper clamps etc so .... might be the way to go.  That barge cement isn't cheap here!  It was around AU$100 for a quart and I couldn't see a smaller quantity to buy but thanks for the suggestion.

The shoo goo is available here and cheap enough to waste if it all goes pear-shaped - i.e. if the cobbler option is too extravagant in $$s.

@piotrek- of all the posts - it's the beak you remember.  😜🤣 Ha!  That tickled my ribs.

Again, thanks all for the tips and tricks.  I'll re-post when the outcome is known - FWIW.

• Thumbsup 2
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Supporting Member

And just to close the story....

After considering going to the farrier for repairs I saw a tube of Shoe Goo for AU$14 in a local store and decided that as the SMX-1's were ~8 years old I'd go cheap and have a crack at it myself.

While I won't be seeking employment in the shoe repair game (don't think they'd have me) I think I've done a reasonable job of repair.  I also won't be doing any catwalk modeling in them but it would take close scrutiny to notice that repairs have been done and who looks at your boots anyway!  They should serve me for a couple more years (or longer!?)

That Shoe Goo stuff sure does hang on!  So far, I've left them sit for two days before taking all of the clamps, weights and tape off them but will give it a couple more days to 'set/cure' completely before the ultimate test but I'm confident that they won't be separating any time soon.

Cheers all.

• Thumbsup 4
  • Thanks 1