Slippery 12vdc socket

I noticed recently that the usb adapter for the 12vdc socket on my 2019 Tracer 900 GT keeps slipping out while riding. It doesn’t come all the way out, just far enough to break the connection and stop powering my GoPro and Phone. It’s dry inside the socket and the side and end connectors on the usb adapter seem pretty firm (i.e., the springs are sufficiently strong). 

Any thoughts on how to secure it?

Thx,

Ivan

• Supporting Member

I think some people have replaced it with a dual USB outlet.  Out of frustration, I just stopped using the power port because of the same reason as you and wired my tank bag directly to the battery.  Now I can just charge a couple of gadgets in there instead.  My GPS mount is also wired directly to the battery.

• Thumbsup 1

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, Ivan C said:

I noticed recently that the usb adapter for the 12vdc socket on my 2019 Tracer 900 GT keeps slipping out while riding. It doesn’t come all the way out, just far enough to break the connection and stop powering my GoPro and Phone. It’s dry inside the socket and the side and end connectors on the usb adapter seem pretty firm (i.e., the springs are sufficiently strong). 

Any thoughts on how to secure it?

Thx,

Ivan

Same thing happened on my 2015, I replaced it and there was no improvement.  Do yourself a favor, remove the wind screen and remove the 12v socket and throw it away and wire in a marine grade USB outlet in its place.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member

If you don't need 12V in there, then I suggest replacing the socket with a USB pod. Lots to choose from on Amazon. Just check the OD for best fit.

If you think you will need 12V, then you can replace the socket with a Powerlet type (plugs will snap in place), and then use a Powerlet USB adapter.

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

• Supporting Member
2 minutes ago, knyte said:

I think some people have replaced it with a dual USB outlet.  Out of frustration, I just stopped using the power port because of the same reason as you and wired my tank bag directly to the battery.  Now I can just charge a couple of gadgets in there instead.  My GPS mount is also wired directly to the battery.

There are several unused 12v power plugs behind the screen, all of them switched on with the ignition.  It makes adding accessories much simpler than wiring anything back to the battery. 

I used the accessory plugs to wire in a GPS, USB outlet, running lights and a volt meter.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Easy fix……I use an old credit card and cut a 1/4” wide strip off of it.   Take it and the USB plug, gps plug, etc. and push them both into the female socket….tight fit that won’t come out.  I’ve used this method for years and the pics below show my Super Tenere factory port with a Garmin gps plug.

IMG_2312.thumb.jpeg.08a4699b221a699ffda13d01fdb53fd0.jpegIMG_2313.thumb.jpeg.bdca9153c9639339e887267c6b80edfc.jpeg

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, betoney said:

It makes adding accessories much simpler

It wasn't as slick as the rubber band fix, I'll give you that, lol.  I only need power for two things, and ended up with three ports.  But honestly it wasn't difficult at all.  The worst part is fiddling with all the o-ring terminals when it's battery swap time.  I'm just too lazy to improve it for the time being...

• Like 1

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

11 hours ago, littlebruv said:

I used a power socket for a KTM and fitted it into the spare mount on the right hand side

I assume that's the BMW/Hella/Powerlet type socket?

Did you run wires up from the battery, or use something that was available under the fairing?

20 hours ago, OldBikers said:

Some USB adapters fit snug and some don't.  I have about 6 of them til I found one the stay put. 

Yup, the dual USB adapter I got from Amazon a few years back is very snug and has never popped out. Another trick is to cut a few small strips of good quality electrical tape "3M" and put down into the socket.......very snug fix.

I've used strips of electrical tape, wrapped around the adapter above the side terminals, to increase friction.

You need to cut a length of tape to the width required, maybe 1/4" depending, then experiment to figure out how many layers give you the right level of friction without getting stuck.

10 minutes of arts and crafts and you should end up with a solution.

I also have a couple of adapters that just seem to stay in on their own with no issues. I couldn't tell you why.

One has a volt meter display which is a good indication that it's plugged in. I've spent enough time on bikes with sketchy electrics that I like to have a voltmeter on board.