Compression Test Failure

Mike A

9 hours ago, Mike A said:

Dealer said to use additives in all gas to keep carbon away.  He recommended BG 44K or Star Tron ...

It is not realistic to expect thousands of consumers of a modern vehicle to have to use additives.

I suspect something else going on - don't pretend to know what that may be. But an efficient engine with proper spark and fueling should not break itself.

Some triple owners have gone 200,000, and 300,000 miles (@olddawg still on the original clutch per pg 6 of high mile thread - so he isn't wringing it's neck constantly). 

Edited by Lone Wolf
1980 Yamaha 850 Triple (sold). Too many bikes to list, FJ-09 is next on my list

• 2 weeks later...

My dealer called yesterday to tell me that Yamaha is paying for complete head rebuild and whatever else is needed to correct my broken Tracer.  At this point the excess carbon is the stated reason.  Once mechanics are repaired, see if the tune up reveals anything???  Thanks for all of the input, I too have a hard time believing bad gas is the culprit.  Parts are ordered, I'm told a couple of weeks to be completed.  Will post then.

• Thumbsup 6
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Glad it's being covered, but I have to ask, were you riding the bike like grandma and not getting the revs up into the power band?  For reference, max HP is developed at 10,000 rpm and max torque at 8500.  If you're only using half that all the time, could be a contributor..... don't be afraid to wind this thing up under load........

A little true story, FJR project bike I was given to work on.... the owner shifted the bike at 3500 rpm all the time and ran Yamaha RingFree in it all the time (BTW, it has a significant amount of oil in it).  Never got it much over 5000 rpm, where it starts to develop it's power, with peak HP at 7000.  Basically, it carboned up really bad on the intake valves and had problems with starting when hot.  Compression in a couple of cylinders was very low, no wonder.  Just saying if you don't wind it up once in a while into the power band, you're not doing yourself any favours.

Edited by RaYzerman
  • Thumbsup 2

I bought a ‘13 FJR once, with 20,000 miles on it previously owned by a gentleman who rode it gently and at lower rpm. It ran much better after a spirited 1,000 miles or so exploring the upper reaches of the tach, as is my custom. Yamahas and other Japanese sport bikes are so well engineered that you could probably keep them in the upper half of the rpm range most of the time, and still last just as long (maybe longer,) than babying it. Of course, with bikes like the Tracer, and FJR, you still have to be cognizant of those pesky speed limits. 😗  

It never seemed to make much sense, to buy a bike with 100+ HP, if you are never going to ride it where it makes more than half of that power. If you enjoy riding sedately, which is great, maybe a bike of lower output may be a good choice.

• Thumbsup 2

8 hours ago, duckie said:

Something to remember is this is a fuel injected engine. And they run pretty lean in stock form.  I just dont think riding style was the main reason for the build up. 

^This.

I believe that may be why Yamaha is picking up the tab. 

Edited by miweber929
  • Thumbsup 1

• 3 weeks later...

Dealer called me to come pick up my Tracer Wednesday.  My bill $61, for new plugs and air filter.  Yamaha paid for head rebuild, labor, and whatever few parts needed.  The service manager, my advisor and the mechanic had already left for the day.  When service advisor called, he again told me the culprit was thought to be bad gas and once head work was completed, bike assembled, and tuned, it ran perfectly. Ten mile ride home was perfect.  Enjoyed Thanksgiving.  Got the bike out today for a 50 mile test and all was perfect again.  Took it past 10K a few times, it's screaming again!  I am still baffled that bad gas did all of this!  I am also baffled that Yamaha warranty paid for the repairs!  Need some good weather for some longer rides.  Thanks to Yamaha and my Dealer

• Thumbsup 5
  • Like 2

Meanwhile over on the FJR forum, a gent with an FJR 2022 with 27k miles.  Just returned from a 7000 mile trip and bike would not start, compression low, dealer removed the cylinder head and said there is carbon  holding the valves open.  They say caused by bad fuel and Yamaha is not covering the repair.  The story is not yet complete, bike is being fixed and owner is protesting with Yamaha.  None of us are buying the bad fuel story......

In your case, I'd like to know what they did to repair your engine.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, RaYzerman said:

Meanwhile over on the FJR forum, a gent with an FJR 2022 with 27k miles.  Just returned from a 7000 mile trip and bike would not start, compression low, dealer removed the cylinder head and said there is carbon  holding the valves open.  They say caused by bad fuel and Yamaha is not covering the repair.  The story is not yet complete, bike is being fixed and owner is protesting with Yamaha.  None of us are buying the bad fuel story......

In your case, I'd like to know what they did to repair your engine.

Interesting......

A riding friend of mine purchased a 2014 Super Tenere new and in 2015 or 2016 had the same issue as you experienced. Yamaha told him he was not running the bike hard enough. My friend does not abuse his ride, but he certainly doesn't putt around. Yamaha did cover the repairs under warranty but would not in the future if issue occurred again.

He traded the bike on a KTM after the Tenere was repaired, which is another story.

My repair went as dealer told me initially.  Head tear down, removed carbon everywhere.  All valves were good.  I'm sure they ground and seated valves.  Mostly labor I'm sure.  Tuned, etc. My $61 invoice shows warranty for head gasket, 8 bolts/washers (head bolts?), exhaust gasket, Yamaha oil, coolant.  As I said earlier, most of the gas I use is ethanol free, premium, primarily from one location.....that will change.  I believe my dealer was instrumental to say the least.  This is my 11th Yamaha vehicle, 8 were new.