YAMAHA FJ-09, MT-09 TRACER Knuckle guard LED Kit - v2

• Premium Member
Thanks. Sorry for being a complete idiot but what cable did you connect the posi-taps to? All additional tips on installation (especially connecting the wires) not shown in the manual would be most appreciated..!:) 

If you follow the instructions included with the hand guard lights, you will have removed the windshield, its mount and the plastic cover that covers both power outlets. 
Look at the power outlet where the wires come into it from the bottom.  There are two; one light colored and one dark.  These are the wires I tapped.  You'll have to remove some of the electrical tape that is on the wires at that location in order to make room for the posi-taps.

I joined the wires from the two lights together and then connected them to the power outlet wires with posi-taps; light to light and dark to dark.  It's really not difficult.

Sorry that I didn't take pictures, seems it might have been helpful.  I'm out of town now or I'd run out to the garage and take some.

Guest spunrdneck
got mine quickly as well, I am still out on the look of these... you could double sided tape 'em on and only drill one hole for the wire in each piece. maybe fill the holes in the carbon fiber on the light with a dab of silicone. they are pretty bright but push light all over! (up, down and sides from the clear edges) I don't notice at all while riding though!
 11B37BF4-3C83-4BD0-950B-BFD58D9E3E69.jpg194252D7-11DE-4FCE-9846-50AF9D45AB89.jpgE87439AF-CDE5-4327-B2A3-C272342FC7B5.jpg

NOOOOO!!!! paddle.gif

I wonder if I can return mine. I wanted to set them up as turn signals anyways..... if they had included the module shown in the instructions.

Ty

'05 Bandit 1200s ( Blue and White ) Bandit pic

2015 FJ-09 ( RED ) FJ-09 pic

NOOOOO!!!! paddle.gif 
I wonder if I can return mine. I wanted to set them up as turn signals anyways..... if they had included the module shown in the instructions.

Ty

Better wait another month for the switchback version.... ;)

• Premium Member
NOOOOO!!!! paddle.gif 

Ty

I've got mine wired as running lights/turn signals and they won't pass inspection unless they are amber. I'll simply purchase some transparent self adhesive Amber/Orange vinyl. Might even leave the film on there if I like it better. link

$(KGrHqYOKjwE5v--4v4IBOfSFFVuEw~~60_12.JPG
Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

NOOOOO!!!! paddle.gif 

Ty

I've got mine wired as running lights/turn signals and they won't pass inspection unless they are amber. I'll simply purchase some transparent self adhesive Amber/Orange vinyl. Might even leave the film on there if I like it better. link

Ya, I was thinking of some film like that. But i'd rather have it molded in that color in the first place. Oh well, always something new!

So yours came with the turn signal module then?

Ty

• Premium Member

Ya, I was thinking of some film like that. But i'd rather have it molded in that color in the first place. Oh well, always something new!  

Ty

Any chance you can explain or show how you wired these to sync with your turn flashers? Even with the instructions I could not figure how to wire them?

• Premium Member

Ty

Any chance you can explain or show how you wired these to sync with your turn flashers? Even with the instructions I could not figure how to wire them?
I've got an electronics background, so it seemed pretty straight forward to me. There are 3 wires going to the stock front turn signals, ground, turn and running (12v constant). You can tap those directly using the 3 wires from the converter. Output from the converter is two wire, ground and constant (12v). Those two wires go to the LED knuckle guards. The converter will light the LEDs until the turn signals are activated at which time it will switch power on/off/on/off. Once the turn signals are extinguished, the power is constant again. 
fj09-led-m013.jpg
Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

I've got an electronics background, so it seemed pretty straight forward to me. There are 3 wires going to the stock front turn signals, ground, turn and running (12v constant). You can tap those directly using the 3 wires from the converter. Output from the converter is two wire, ground and constant (12v). Those two wires go to the LED knuckle guards. The converter will light the LEDs until the turn signals are activated at which time it will switch power on/off/on/off. Once the turn signals are extinguished, the power is constant again. 
fj09-led-m013.jpg
What you are describing is a circuit that would turn OFF the lights when the bikes signals go on. ( thus being out of synch ) However, in the video the front and rear signals appear to be in synch with the LED lights. That has me baffled as to how that is accomplished. What am I missing? 
[video src=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sgr8fEPDsm8]  

Ty

• Premium Member
fj09-led-m013.jpg
What you are describing is a circuit that would turn OFF the lights when the bikes signals go on. ( thus being out of synch ) However, in the video the front and rear signals appear to be in synch with the LED lights. That has me baffled as to how that is accomplished. What am I missing? 
[video src=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sgr8fEPDsm8]  

Ty

What I described is a circuit that switches the LEDs On/Off/On/Off.

The converter will light the LEDs until the turn signals are activated at which time it will switch power on/off/on/off.

It's all done in the circuitry of the converter.
Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

SHbKzNz.jpg
Took my time lining everything up.

snkRxXO.jpg
Automatic center punch.

tgRMz4A.jpg
I used a 3/16" drill bit.

KvgL64g.jpg
Nuts secure on the back side, install both screws and spacers at the same time, be gentle and tighten them up.

05pCzIn.jpg
Looking good so far.

MVu6xui.jpg
The spare terminal.

C7McpsT.jpg
I stripped back the wires a bit, combined them and installed them in the connector.  

v58y7cc.jpgJob done.