OEM Heated Grips or adapt aftermarket?

ItsTracerTime

So thanks to another thread on this forum, I learned that my '19 non-GT apparently has factory wiring for heated grips, much like it has the wiring for a quickshifter (which is an easy and worthwhile install).

Do the OEM part number grips work any better or worse than an aftermarket set? I know Yamaha wants like $200-something for theirs, and Oxford is about half - is there a solid brand where the grips themselves can be changed but keep the heating elements on the bar?

• Supporting Member
17 hours ago, ItsTracerTime said:

Do the OEM part number grips work any better or worse than an aftermarket set?

I have never tried Oxford but the Tracer grips work VERY well and as a bonus there is no external controller to mount, they are plug and play and everything is controlled through the bikes screen with the oem switchgear.

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I have used multiple vendors for heated grips on multiple bikes, and I have found that the OEM Yamaha grips which came on my 20 GT, heat quicker and more evenly than others mentioned "nice grip system as well". I like that mine can be controlled from the menu screen, and can even adjust the intensity at each level. 

• Thumbsup 3

I've had Oxford on my other bikes, heats well for the price. As others have mentioned, it's probably best to use the OEM if you have the $ since it will save you time installing and no controller to mount with the heat function built into the menu.

• Thumbsup 1

I’ve got the Oxfords and wired through the stock cables. 
work well and controllable through the screen, including adjusting intensity. 
Half the price of Yamaha ones and pretty easy to adapt. 
Yamaha ones are a bit easier to install. 

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

No one else mentioned that the higher price oem kit includes a whole new throttle tube / grip and throttle shell top half that makes for a LOT cleaner wire clutter free install.

I just wish the oem, like Oxford and other AM kits had a slightly larger ID in the left grip to permit adding tape or shrink tubing over the bar to insulate it so heat didn't conduct back into it making the grip that much hotter.

The throttle tube does that on the right.

I run grip buddies over the grips for a larger diameter, I get full heat through them surprisingly well, and they are also closed cell and don't absorb water.

Edited by Ride365

• Supporting Member
4 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

No one else mentioned that the higher price oem kit includes a whole new throttle tube / grip and throttle shell top half that makes for a LOT cleaner wire clutter free install.

I just wish the oem, like Oxford and other AM kits had a slightly larger ID in the left grip to permit adding tape or shrink tubing over the bar to insulate it so heat didn't conduct back into it making the grip that much hotter.

I don't know about the '18-20 model year Tracers, but on my '21GT Yamaha definitely fixed the heating issue of the left grip from factory.

I do remember it being horrible on the '15 in that the handlebar was just a giant heatsink, barely any warmth to my hand. I was quite upset with myself for letting the dealer do that installation rather than just taking a Saturday and knocking it out on my own and insulating that left side properly.

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, Ride365 said:

I run grip buddies over the grips for a larger diameter, I get full heat through them surprisingly well, and they are also closed cell and don't absorb water.

I ran Grip Buddies until my bad hands needed less radius?

Even grinding down my Rental Street Nakeds I couldn't get tape on the left bar and fit the OEM heated grip

7 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

I've used Magic Wrap on the left side of any bike I installed heated grips on.  Helps a lot.  Make sure you apply it from the right to left so the tape overlaps are covered and don't peel up.  Cheap solution that worked for me.

062093860015.jpg

• Thumbsup 3

There is never enough time or money to do it right the first time.

• Supporting Member

I had the Oxfords early on, but switched to Heat Demons when I changed the handlebar. The Heaterz worked well, but I agree with @skipperT... the wiring system is terrible.

I can control the Heat Demons via the dash menu (2015 FJ). Yamaha grips are way expensive, and you're stuck with them. You've got the same issue with the Heaterz... but at a much lower cost.

If you really want to use the Heaterz... find out how @OZVFR got his connected to dash controls. That sounds like a much better option than using Oxford's wiring/controller.

One thing to note... I recall that Oxford's controller will turn off the grips when the bike is turned off (say at a gas station), and you will have to turn them back on when you re-start the bike. Withe the dash control, the bike ECU remembers previous state.

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif