OEM Heated Grips or adapt aftermarket?

ItsTracerTime

• Supporting Member

I just read that waterproof gloves will no longer be waterproof, if used with heated grips in the rain. Anyone experience this?

It seems this is not an issue for heated gloves as the heat is inside, whereas heated grips provide heat from the outside.

Who has  the scientific explanation for this?

• Supporting Member
31 minutes ago, knyte said:

I saw something recently (might have been Fortnine / F9?) that reasoned this is intentional because your left will need more heat because it'll be on the grip 100% of the time, and therefore exposed to more cold air.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you wrote, but the issue is that the left-hand side of the handlebar has less heat because the heat from the grip gets absorbed by the cold metal of the handlebar; which is why we're recommending users insulate the handlebar with tape before installing a heated grip.

You're saying this is intentional because the left needs more heat?

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member

Nope, I misread something; we're on the same page.  I was attempting (poorly) to add that aftermarket and factory grips etc commonly are warmer on the left side for the same reason - bare metal:

Again, my bad!

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, knyte said:

I saw something recently (might have been Fortnine / F9?) that reasoned this is intentional because your left will need more heat because it'll be on the grip 100% of the time, and therefore exposed to more cold air.

Huh?

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Huh?

Misfire on my part

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

10 hours ago, Heli ATP said:

I just read that waterproof gloves will no longer be waterproof, if used with heated grips in the rain. Anyone experience this?

It seems this is not an issue for heated gloves as the heat is inside, whereas heated grips provide heat from the outside.

I personally have yet to find a waterproof glove, although what I do have is quite good and am bummed no longer made "imagine that". Heated gloves are too bulky for me, I like as much dexterity as possible when I ride. 

I wired up some Heat Demon heaters under my stock grips on my 2019 non-GT. I picked up some OEM turn signal connectors, and wired them according to a diagram in another thread here. Since they are wired in to the factory location, they work with the dash/handlebar controls. No extra buttons anywhere. They get HOT too. I only put them on the high setting when I first start out on a very cold morning. 

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

Home Depot/Lowe's sells small pieces of heat shrink for 8/2 wire, which happens to be a snug 7/8" inner diameter but maybe too thick compared to tape.

I'm still torn on OEM or Oxford, OEM would seemingly have to come from Europe and Oxford would require aftermarket terminals or wiring work to connect

Well, the GT+ tracer9 has them factory fitted. But if they're the same for the other Yamaha current models, I recommended them.

Obviously, if there's cheapest option doing the same the choice I would do was based on practical use; these don't need another plastic controller hanging on the handle bar.

• Supporting Member
On 12/17/2023 at 7:14 PM, Heli ATP said:

The only explanation for this that I could possibly think of: back when Gore-Tex's original patent for ePTFE was still active, that patent prevented other manufacturers from creating their own waterproof ePTFE membrane unless they bought Gore-Tex equipment & materials, paid for the license, and put a Gore-Tex label on the final product. Waterproof gear at the time that wasn't made from ePTFE would have relied on DWR (Durable Water Repellent, like Nikwax) coating that wears off over time. It's possible the heat from motorcycle grips accelerated this wear, that's really the only feasible way you'd lose waterproofing due to heat.

Gore-Tex's patent expired in 1998, and today all waterproof motorcycle gear is waterproofed with an ePTFE membrane manufactured in-house or by a third party, there will be no issues with heated grips.

On 12/18/2023 at 6:12 AM, Ride365 said:

I personally have yet to find a waterproof glove, although what I do have is quite good and am bummed no longer made "imagine that". Heated gloves are too bulky for me, I like as much dexterity as possible when I ride.

Not sure what brands you're buying but any of the big 3 EU brands have solid in-house membranes that haven't failed on me yet over 5+ years since owning: Rev'it, Dainese, and Alpinestars. I also have some gear in other brands that use Hipora as the membrane and that has held up.

For bulky heated gloves/winter gloves there are pairs that don't have insulation in the palm and underside of the fingers so the dexterity is still there and you actually feel your heated grips better; maybe that is worth looking into?

• Thumbsup 2