Struck on my FJ-09 by a SUV

sean0262

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sean,
It's been a long slow haul dude, and still some rough road ahead. But you're a tough sumbitch, and clearly you're going to make it. Keep your eyes on that goal, and celebrate the progress you've made once in a while. A lot of us are thinking about you and your strength.

Wow, sorry to hear they missed some injury up front. It's never fun to recover from some fool's lack of attention to a very important task.

Driving. Most folks are oblivious to the responsibility at hand while operating any motor vehicle. Especially it seems truck and SUV drivers. Minivans and anything driven by teens.

I've often thought it would be nice to have a flashing laser strobe light that you could "aim" with your helmet, that's controlled by a switch on your handlebars. Like the light high beams, but "aimed" at the driver of the vehicle you want to make sure is aware you are there.

So, in normal riding, you see a vehicle at a stop sign, about to pull out into your path. You "aim" the light, and hit the strobe laser, and it is just short of blindness inducing to the vehicle aimed at. Same thing can be used on vehicles about to make a left turn. Or any other version of a hazard to motorcycle riders.

Sure, it would be annoying to the drivers, but it hurts them in no real way, and protects riders. A nice "HUD" projected to aim would be cool, and you could use the same HUD for speed and warning lights, or GPS details etc.

I sure hope you heal up and enjoy riding again. Your attitude is a fine example for all of us. :)

phucking dick. Hope you heal up well. And I sure hope the next tracer you get doesnt end up this way. Good luck with the surgerys and well done on the bash hat. Nice to hear this saved you from much more trouble

Good luck and hope to see you report a better ride soon

I received my GIVI Outback Trekker side case brackets yesterday. Funny knowing I still have no FJ since I was struck on mine back on May 27th. And even if I did I still can't ride because of my injuries. So my thoughts are I will continue purchasing parts and accessories to make a great sport/adventure touring FJ. Then next riding season I will take one hell of a road trip.
Good to hear my friend

• Premium Member
Your ability to keep your spirits up inspires me. You've got a great story here. Hopefully the lawyers can sue the sh*t out of the other guy and compensate you for pain, surgeries, loss of quality of life, and of course, loss of income.

Thanks guys, Yes I try and stay positive as much as I can. Some days I'm really down when I think about losing my job when my FMLA was up and having a lock right shoulder, a fused foot, a pinned ankle and now 3 vertebrae fused together. And then the thought of another shoulder looming as soon as my neck is fully healed. But then I'm alive! and that's something all in it's own. Thank goodness I was wearing a helmet. For if not for it, I would surely be dead. And like huck said. Every time I grab one of my lids to go ride. I look at me smashed one. Just so I never forget how many fuctards are out there waiting to run us riders down.
Your right on the Ural marty, Doc sees me on the 15th for my post surgery visit. He told me to say of the bike and out of any cars until he sees me. Then if every thing looks right. He'll give me the go ahead to ride and drive. So I'll take baby steps and ride the Ural for a while. Hey marty you haven't tried my Steering damper kit yet.... What's up with that my Ural/Fj brother?
As for my FJ, I've had plenty of time setting her up for the open road. By far the "Cruizin" cruise control has been one of my best upgrades.

Sean, Be as positive as you reasonably can, many of us know a bit about the "down" times and and empathize with you. But better times will come, and as long as you're on this side of the dirt and can feel that sunshine once in a while, you can look forward to them.
Keep reminding us about the sense of wearing gear like helmets, and about the folks who can change our lives instantly if we aren't constantly alert.
I will take the liberty to say that "we" look forward to continuing reports of your steps toward better health, even though some steps will be tougher than others.
Onward and upward.

• 1 year later...
Well my friends it's been almost 2-1/2 years since I was run over on my FJ-09. This is how my life has gone since. I've had a total of 6 surgeries. I will be having one more this month to remove a few surgical screws then that should be it.

The accident was bad. But the after effects have changed my life forever. Physically, mentally and personally. I had waited 2 yes for a settlement by the time I had received it. However I made the mistake of paying off my wife's (of 14 yrs) personal debt, as I had no debt. I was souly looking out for the interest of the family. However a few months later we sent my Stepdaughter off to college, and no more than a week later I recieved divorce papers. Having no knowledge of any marital problems what so ever. I was informed that since she was a 21 yr old single mom living with her parents when I met her. She now wants to live the life she lost out on. What does a man? Just ride away on his FJ of course! I managed to sell off a few of my other motorcycles and I had set back enough settlement money, that I was able to buy little home on 2 acres in Southern Indiana for my daughter (16 yrs old) and I out in the country. Southern Indiana has some of the best hilly and winding roads to ride on. My daughter has become my riding buddy. Never missing the chance to go. We have been planning a cross country FJ-09 trip that will take us from Indiana to Moab, Grand Canyon, White sands, NM and Roswell then East along I-40 to Chattanooga, TN and North home to Indiana until the next road trip. My daughter loves the FJ-09. But feels it's to tall for her. So she hoping Yamaha releases the FJ-07 here in the states. If not then I'm going to get her a Honda CB500X.
So through all the pain and suffering not all has been lost.

@sean0262 sorry for all your troubles these last few years. Easier said from this perspective, but if your wife left just like that... you're better off without her. Having said that, I couldn't imagine my feelings if I were in that position. Keep staying positive and keep riding.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• Premium Member
Whoa!! Stay strong Sean! My daughter used to love riding with me. That was long before the FJ-09 aka Red Molly.
It’s so cool that she enjoys riding with you! ?

Brick
2015 Yamaha FJ-09 "Red Molly"
2014 Yamaha Super Tenere' ES
1999 Suzuki SV650

That's tough man sorry to hear it. But at least you are out riding again and with your daughter none the less. The t7 is rumored for 2019 and might be something to look for. Is she riding solo or 2-up? I have an fj and it wasn't great for me two up, way to tall. I now have an older fjr and it has become our go-to bike. I now have the fj09 up for sale. The fjr is perfect for what I was looking for and if it is two up riding would be good. Solo the only thing I can think comparable that would be shorter and comfortable enough for longer distance would be a triumph triple. If you don't need distance but power honestly there are a lot of great makers in the category all tons of fun. The new z900, the gsxs1000, fz09 and fz07. I haven't ridden the triumph triple but hear good things.

duhs10, I have full custody of my 16 yr old daughter from my first marriage. Really had custody of my 3 children from that first marriage. But the 2 older children are grown up and out of the house. So what my newly ex-ed wife was saying is she no longer wants to raise my daughter as I raised her daughter. Kind of a dirty doubled standard. I have no worries because karma will get back at her one day.

Archived