Dropped my bike... SW-Motech Crash Bars

• Premium Member
Best advice I ever got for safely getting the bike off the center stand is to stand on the left side of the bike, turn the handlebars full-lock to the right with your left hand and pull the bike off the center stand with your right hand on the grab bar. Having the steering full-lock to the right guarantees that when it comes off the center stand, it will tend to want to fall toward you, not away from you. Much easier to catch that way.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have the Puig Pro frame sliders and just after I installed them, I dumped the bike in a parking lot. No damage (except scraping to the frame slider which is what you want). I chose these because from pictures I could see, I compared the two and from what I could tell these stick out further than the SW-Motech ones (there are 2 of the SW-Motech sliders, but the one similar to the Puig) which by my previous statement should be obvious, my point is that I can rest my feet on them on longer rides too along with protecting the motorcycle. 

I have the Puig Pro frame sliders and just after I installed them, I dumped the bike in a parking lot. No damage (except scraping to the frame slider which is what you want). I chose these because from pictures I could see, I compared the two and from what I could tell these stick out further than the SW-Motech ones (there are 2 of the SW-Motech sliders, but the one similar to the Puig) which by my previous statement should be obvious, my point is that I can rest my feet on them on longer rides too along with protecting the motorcycle. 
Which side did you drop the bike on? I'm guessing the left side? And no damage to the stator cover? 

I've never tried rocking off the center stand, I think i would be more apt to drop it while on the bike.  I put it in gear, grab the clutch with my left hand and either my bag mount or the passenger peg mount with my right hand and rock forward.  as soon as it gets over the center stand retracting angle (w/e its called), i release the clutch and let the bike stop itself.  alot of times I have to park on a slight incline so this seems to be the best way for me.

• Premium Member
@estell thanks for the tip about the t-rex combo. This seems quite convenient. How is the coverage for the frame slider? Does it seem like it would do the job if you put the bike down sideways? I wonder if you would be able to post a few pictures?

• Premium Member
I have been using BuilderBobs method for the last week, it is simular to yours, with no problems. I normally start the bike on the center stand in neutral, while running I rock it off the center stand, place it on side stand then get on.

• Premium Member
@estell thanks for the tip about the t-rex combo. This seems quite convenient. How is the coverage for the frame slider? Does it seem like it would do the job if you put the bike down sideways? I wonder if you would be able to post a few pictures?
Here you can see the frame slider and the right-case cover. The left side is similar. The wheel sliders are not shown. eB4ZWEl.jpg
A view from the front.
22MBvsZ.jpg

2015 red FJ-09: Cal Sci screen, Sargent seat, ECU flash, slider combo, cruise, Rizoma bars, Matts forks, JRi shock, slipper clutch

I like the wear and tear look. ( I keep it polished and looking good too) Too bad you want to fix it. I know so many riders that have FJR's over 100K that have similar scratches and nobody worries about them as they become common place. I have more road rash on the bike from just riding. Now at 22K. Not sure about the road rash after the crash though.

Just another note:  The road rash on the crash bars or the sliders looks just as bad.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

• 3 weeks later...
Unbelievable!  So I just got my new bike on Fri, and dropped it on Saturday.  Might be a record huh?  I was riding two up with my GF and was driving super slow down a dead end street, before I realize the rocks gravel and sand, it was too late, I was already in it and couldn't turn out of it. Bike went down.  My girl knew from my "oh shit comment" we were in trouble.  She bailed off the back as I went down with the bike.  I somehow manage to pick it up like it was a toy.  After assessing that we were both ok, I checked out the bike.  The only things noticeable were little scratches on the left hand guard and the same scratches as some of you guys( but a little worse) on the engine crankcase cover.  My question is, I want to replace that cover, is it as easy as unscrewing and removing the old, or is there a bunch of stuff under the cover that I should know about?

Archived