What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

Just got my ECU back from 2wheeldynoworks. Fired up the portable heater and pointed it towards the FJ. 20 minutes later it was warm enough to reassemble.  Actually remembered where all the different panels and bolts went even after two weeks of them sitting in my parts bowl. They recommended removing the foam attached to the gas tank to free up a bit more air flow. Has anyone done this and does it have that nice sound by the somewhat less restricted air?

Just got my ECU back from 2wheeldynoworks. Fired up the portable heater and pointed it towards the FJ. 20 minutes later it was warm enough to reassemble.  Actually remembered where all the different panels and bolts went even after two weeks of them sitting in my parts bowl. They recommended removing the foam attached to the gas tank to free up a bit more air flow. Has anyone done this and does it have that nice sound by the somewhat less restricted air?
riverfox:  It would be nice if you LINKED your reference to who recommend removing the foam attached to the gas tank for better air flow.  If you do this, why not write up a How To and post it.  Thanks

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

riverfox:  It would be nice if you LINKED your reference to who recommend removing the foam attached to the gas tank for better air flow.  If you do this, why not write up a How To and post it.  Thanks
It's actually from  2 wheel Dyno Works and it is in his pictorial on removing the  the ECU. Hope this gets you to it. 
Removing Your FJ-09 ECU! | FJ-09 Forums      Sorry not much of a computer guy and couldn't get you a direct link. Just search
ECU removal on this sight and near the end you see it. You just peel it off the underside of the front portion of the tank.

I'm wondering if the power gains are worth pulling the tank again - the foam looks like it keeps out leaves, twigs and small furry animals that may otherwise get sucked in...
2015 Grey FJ09 with a few tweaks, 2007 HD Street Glide - Good Bike + Good Friends = Good Day.

• Premium Member
I'm wondering if the power gains are worth pulling the tank again - the foam looks like it keeps out leaves, twigs and small furry animals that may otherwise get sucked in...
alternatively , makes an ideal home for a family of small rodents 
in spring I have known people complain the bike will not start and then found the airbox is where their hamster decided to move to, spiders found a lovenest or a dormouse is hibernating there. 
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
I'm wondering why Yamaha spent 3p on a piece of foam just to reduce the power output of an engine they spent a fiver on to make more efficient. Maybe that's why they lopped one cylinder off, to save more. Or, hang on, did they add one cylinder - I'm confused.

• Premium Member
Today, I took my, "better half" for her first ride on the FJ09. She loved it! The Corbin seat with the backrest works well for her. She really liked the smoothness and quietness of the engine. She never liked being on the back of my 1976 XS650C Yamaha and she normally prefers riding in my Ural sidecar. So her liking the FJ09 is a big deal for me because it adds the fun of riding this great bike for both of us. Good day indeed...
A Motorcyclist's Church is the open road....

• Premium Member
alternatively , makes an ideal home for a family of small rodents 
in spring I have known people complain the bike will not start and then found the airbox is where their hamster decided to move to, spiders found a lovenest or a dormouse is hibernating there. 
That little piece of foam sucks 3 to 4 horsepower out as proved on the Dyno according to http://fj-09.org/thread/1189/fj-09-flash-ready-updated?page=3 .  Plus it really does sound better. 
Spray for bugs and put out the rat traps - just do the mod when you reflash and won't be disappointed!!!

I'm wondering why Yamaha spent 3p on a piece of foam just to reduce the power output of an engine they spent a fiver on to make more efficient. Maybe that's why they lopped one cylinder off, to save more. Or, hang on, did they add one cylinder - I'm confused.
My guess on the reason for the foam: I'll bet it reduces intake noise (honk).  I'm betting the air filter will require more frequent servicing too. 

• Premium Member
Rode about 200 miles this morning up to Ocala National forest. Jumped on Rt. 314a north to Silver Springs Pwy. Then south on 19 to 441 South and home. Great roads and plenty of places to open her up some. I have around 2500 miles on her. I'm really enjoying the FJ09. I'm getting some," FJ09DF" Or better known as," FJ09 Delay Factor" as in folk are stopping me and asking me about the bike. With my Ural we call it," UDF" or Ural Delay Factor". It's all good...
A Motorcyclist's Church is the open road....