What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

• Premium Member
Mounted the new ProTaper EVO Adventure High handlebars, Billet shorty black adjustable levers, Oxford Adventure heated grips and removed my stock handguards. Replacing them with Barkbusters Storm handguards for better coverage. I changed to the new ProTapers to help alleviate some pain in my shoulder. As most of you remember I was hit from the right-rear back in May of 2015 on my 33 day old FJ-09 by a big SUV. Suffering 3 broken bones in my left foot, 2 broken bones in my left ankle, a shet-ton of road rash, 2 finger knuckles and a wrist ground to the bone, and worst of all my right shoulder had dislocated tearing my rotator cuff, destroying my long head bicep tendon and destroying 25% of the cartilage in my shoulder joint. After surgeries 10 months ago I have been left with a fused left foot and a frozen right shoulder with limited and painful movement. But hell that won't stop me from riding!!! I mostly ride my Ural sidecar rig. The bars are low and swept back. perfect for my arm. My Roadliner 1900 is imposable for me to ride. can't raise my are high enough to control the bike. my other bike have lower, narrow, swept back bars so I can ride them to. Now My FJ-09 has been giving me fits. The bar was forward enough to have to make me reach and raise my are to its very limit. But worst off is that I have no rotation in the joint. So I am unable to relax my arm and let it hang naturally and/or comfortably. So the ProTaper EVO Adventure bars raise up, pull back, and offer more sweep to the controls enough to make life a little more bearable. Not perfect, but doable. I had to reroute my clutch cable. and on my throttle cables I just rotated the cable entrances to below the front brake lever, and of course readjusted the electric lines a little. My biggest problem has been able to ride more than an hour. I'm hoping the new bars will extend that.
Wow. That sucks. Just a bit of advice on your shoulder. In my 30's I had a dislocation with a rotator cuff tear. While I was back to work as a FF/PM in about 12 weeks, it was 18 months or so before all of the discomfort was gone. Be patient. You were a mess it takes a long time for your body to recover from this.....
Good luck.  FD.

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

• Premium Member
Mounted the new ProTaper EVO Adventure High handlebars, Billet shorty black adjustable levers, Oxford Adventure heated grips and removed my stock handguards. Replacing them with Barkbusters Storm handguards for better coverage. I changed to the new ProTapers to help alleviate some pain in my shoulder. As most of you remember I was hit from the right-rear back in May of 2015 on my 33 day old FJ-09 by a big SUV. Suffering 3 broken bones in my left foot, 2 broken bones in my left ankle, a shet-ton of road rash, 2 finger knuckles and a wrist ground to the bone, and worst of all my right shoulder had dislocated tearing my rotator cuff, destroying my long head bicep tendon and destroying 25% of the cartilage in my shoulder joint. After surgeries 10 months ago I have been left with a fused left foot and a frozen right shoulder with limited and painful movement. But hell that won't stop me from riding!!! I mostly ride my Ural sidecar rig. The bars are low and swept back. perfect for my arm. My Roadliner 1900 is imposable for me to ride. can't raise my are high enough to control the bike. my other bike have lower, narrow, swept back bars so I can ride them to. Now My FJ-09 has been giving me fits. The bar was forward enough to have to make me reach and raise my are to its very limit. But worst off is that I have no rotation in the joint. So I am unable to relax my arm and let it hang naturally and/or comfortably. So the ProTaper EVO Adventure bars raise up, pull back, and offer more sweep to the controls enough to make life a little more bearable. Not perfect, but doable. I had to reroute my clutch cable. and on my throttle cables I just rotated the cable entrances to below the front brake lever, and of course readjusted the electric lines a little. My biggest problem has been able to ride more than an hour. I'm hoping the new bars will extend that.

Man! Get well soon! From one Ural rider to another it must still be painful to drive the hack since it requires upper body strength? I have a 2010 Gear Up as well as. 1976 Yamaha XS650C, and as if this past fall the FJ09. If you get a chance, check out SovietSteeds.com Lots of great Ural stuff there. Cheers!
A Motorcyclist's Church is the open road....

• Premium Member
I have the SW Motech foot enlarger on my FZ-07.
I have the Adventuretech foot enlarger on my FJ-09.http://www.adventuretech.biz/yamaha-side-stand-foot.html

The motech foot has a very rough bottom and catches the floor easily. Moving your bike even slightly forward causes the kickstand to be pushed back. I came close to dropping the bike when this happened the first time. Now I am paranoid.
The adventuretech foot allows the foot to slide and behave just like a plain kickstand foot. Oh and it is almost $30 cheaper.

Just put on the Kouba 2" mirror extenders. Wow they make a HUGE difference! I can see everything directly behind me so easily now. I highly recommend this as one of the first upgrades. Very cool customer service too, nice people.  

Here's the link to them for those looking.

http://www.koubalink.com/
I agree! They make a big difference. Norm and Lanna are good people!

Today's farkle adventure included installing my $24 eBay shorty levers. I love em' since I usually brake and shift with two fingers anyways. I was relatively surprised how heavy and well built they were for being such an inexpensive product. Plus they look great on the bike. Install took about 20 minutes, and I had never done this modification on a bike before. I watched a very helpful how-to video here:

This guy has a ton of how-to vids uploaded for the FZ, which translate over quite well to the FJ. Score!

sz8AeDf.jpgZp8TJcg.jpgidwkjEY.jpg

Today's farkle adventure included installing my $24 eBay shorty levers. I love em' since I usually brake and shift with two fingers anyways. I was relatively surprised how heavy and well built they were for being such an inexpensive product. Plus they look great on the bike. Install took about 20 minutes, and I had never done this modification on a bike before.

The only issue I've had with the Chinese levers is the poor anodizing process they use. I've ordered from a few different companies, with the same result. In as little as a couple months the colours start fading fast. Black becomes bronze, and red turns to pink.

I just sent my new uninstalled Chinese levers to my anodizer with some other bits from my bike to be stripped and get a two stage (UV resistant), bright dip black anodizing. They turned out great. I have a second set that I had done at the same time that I'll be selling on the forum soon.

Mark.

'16 FJ09 - Mivv Carbon Oval full exhaust¦MCCruise TBW/FJR switch cruise control¦Corbin seat¦GPR steering damper¦Givi D2122S windscreen¦MT-09 Adventure footpegs¦Motodynamic taillight/flushmount signals/fender eliminator¦OEM heated grips¦Shorty levers¦T-Rex sliders¦SW Motech Blaze bags¦KTM handguards¦Vibranators¦Grip Puppies¦CF fender extender¦Pyramid rear hugger extender

Brand new 2016 FJ09 - zero mileage

Before:

t3jpvq4.jpg

After:

hR12CTQ.jpg

I've been stripping the bike down over the last several days, and started some installs.  Exhaust is removed, as well as the suspension.  Mivv full system going in soon, and the front suspension was disassembled, 'de-golded', and is on it's way to Forks by Matt for some customization.  

So far I've installed:

- Factory heated grips
- Grip Puppies (gonna love these things!)
- Custom Vibranator installation (machined to work with KTM handguards)
- FJR clutch side switchblock (for factory-like plug n'play throttle-by-wire Mccruise cruise control system)
- Eastern Beaver three (switched) circuit fuse panel (for Corbin seat heater, electrified tank bag, ?)
- Custom Black anodized rear foot pegs
- Custom Black anodized euro MT-09 Adventure rider foot pegs (similar to Super Tenere)
- Yamaha rear carrier
- Shad mounting plate (customized to bolt directly to plate-less Yamaha rear carrier)
- Shad 48L topcase (with backrest)
- T-Rex frame sliders (customized/machined gen2 FZ1 units from my old bike to fit the FJ09)
- Corbin seat (with customized harness to connect to Eastern Beaver accessory fuse panel)
- Motodynamic integrated tail light (removed stock fender and signals)
- Motodynamic front flush turn signals
- Givi D2122S windscreen
- "De-pinstriped" side graphics (ugly red pinstripes had to go!)
- Custom UV resistant, two step, bright dipped black re-anodized Ride-it CNC levers (have an extra set to sell)

I'll start a build thread soon and detail most of the work.  Been too busy...

Mark.

'16 FJ09 - Mivv Carbon Oval full exhaust¦MCCruise TBW/FJR switch cruise control¦Corbin seat¦GPR steering damper¦Givi D2122S windscreen¦MT-09 Adventure footpegs¦Motodynamic taillight/flushmount signals/fender eliminator¦OEM heated grips¦Shorty levers¦T-Rex sliders¦SW Motech Blaze bags¦KTM handguards¦Vibranators¦Grip Puppies¦CF fender extender¦Pyramid rear hugger extender

hR12CTQ.jpg

...that was hard to look at :o . Will need to see when all done to unsee what I had seen here.
It'll look even more naked when I take the tank off.  I'm waiting until my girlfriend leaves for a short trip in a couple days to remove it.  I'm assuming there will be some fuel spillage, and it will take a day or so until the fumes aren't noticeable.  Surprisingly my girlfriend is still ok with it in our dining room. I was expecting resistance by now, but it's kinda like art at this point - new out of the crate and in various stages of dress/undress. I've stared and pawed at this bike for hours. Another plus; I can give it loving glances whenever I walk by. I haven't sat on it and made 'vroom vroom' noises in a few days, since I don't trust my weight on the front stem stand, so yeah, that sucks... :( It'll be a couple more weeks before it's on the road, but in the meantime I'm having a great time tearing it down and rebuilding it to my preferences and taste.

Mark.

• Premium Member
- Factory heated grips
- FJR clutch side switchblock (for factory-like plug n'play throttle-by-wire Mccruise cruise control system)
- Eastern Beaver three (switched) circuit fuse panel (for Corbin seat heater, electrified tank bag, ?)
- Custom Black anodized euro MT-09 Adventure rider foot pegs (similar to Super Tenere)
- Yamaha rear carrier
- Shad mounting plate (customized to bolt directly to plate-less Yamaha rear carrier)
- T-Rex frame sliders (customized/machined gen2 FZ1 units from my old bike to fit the FJ09)
- Corbin seat (with customized harness to connect to Eastern Beaver accessory fuse panel)
- Givi D2122S windscreen
- Custom UV resistant, two step, bright dipped black re-anodized Ride-it CNC levers (have an extra set to sell)

That's a impressive list!  And to do all that with 0 miles - wow!  Just reassemble and leave it in your dining room as beautiful moto-art!  :D

Seriously though - since money appears to be no object on this , one of the best things you could do is pull the ECU when you get the tank off and ship it to 2WD.  It make the triple perfect to match the rest of your bike. 

• Premium Member
Just put on the Kouba 2" mirror extenders. Wow they make a HUGE difference! I can see everything directly behind me so easily now. I highly recommend this as one of the first upgrades. Very cool customer service too, nice people.  

Here's the link to them for those looking.

http://www.koubalink.com/
I agree! They make a big difference. Norm and Lanna are good people!
Yep, I went with the Koubalink 2" extenders too. Black Anodized $30 includes shipping!
Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

• Premium Member
Brand new 2016 FJ09 - zero mileage I've been stripping the bike down over the last several days, and started some installs.  Exhaust is removed, as well as the suspension.  Mivv full system going in soon, and the front suspension was disassembled, 'de-golded', and is on it's way to Forks by Matt for some customization.  

So far I've installed:

- Factory heated grips
- Yamaha rear carrier
- Givi D2122S windscreen

I'll start a build thread soon and detail most of the work.  Been too busy...

Mark.

Just a suggestion, unless you are stuck in the snow until middle of spring, why not ride it like it is so you will know how much you improved it? I actually love the gold and especially the red stripes with the black, but am curious what the fully murdered F-Jay will look like. YMMV. I assume you like all black?
Nice mods, but I don't think you will need the steering damper after the suspension mods unless you track it. That is the only place where mine needs it after my suspension mods, going down the front straight at big willow, speed shifting at 120mph. Slight wobble, but controllable if you lean forward and shift smooth.

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

I have the SW Motech foot enlarger on my FZ-07. I have the Adventuretech foot enlarger on my FJ-09.http://www.adventuretech.biz/yamaha-side-stand-foot.html

The motech foot has a very rough bottom and catches the floor easily. Moving your bike even slightly forward causes the kickstand to be pushed back. I came close to dropping the bike when this happened the first time. Now I am paranoid.
The adventuretech foot allows the foot to slide and behave just like a plain kickstand foot. Oh and it is almost $30 cheaper.
How thick are the feet under the side stand?  In upgrading the suspension I have raised my bike and it leans over farther on the side stand.  It would be nice to gain some stand length.  The Adventuretech site only has photos from the top.
2008 Street Triple G
2015 FJ-09

I was all set to buy one of these sidestand foot enlargers, as it seems like a no-brainer type of upgrade, and then I realized, I almost never use the sidestand.

I wonder how many FJ-09 riders use the centerstand, almost exclusively?  It pops up on the centerstand with ease, and it seems to be the safer, more convenient option to me.