What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

[strong]Fitted a small handlebar-mounted 'bar-bag'.[/strong]
I’ve already fitted a small ~7L rear-mounted top-box for carrying small items such as a mobile phone, camera, etc. when on day-rides, but it has to be removed when I want to install the much larger 28L top-box for longer trips.

I do like to have my camera - in particular - within easy reach for when an on-the-road photo opportunity arises, as it’s not always possible or safe to stop and dismount to rummage about on the bike to find it.

So I bought, marked–down for $15 in the cycle section of a local sports-goods megastore, an even smaller (at about 4L capacity) hard splash-proof case that can be carried as a handlebar-mounted ‘tank bag’ for the camera, phone, etc., when the full-size top-box is installed.

I don’t care for conventional tank-bags, but this suits me very well. It’s right in front of me as I ride, and is a moment’s work to install or remove as needed.

This is the third one of these small ZIXTRO bags I’ve bought and fitted, and I was amazed to find a few still left in the store.
http://i.imgur.com/aiHnDpP.jpg
[em]ps - a small reward for whoever can identify the small object appearing to the lhs of the tank in the bottom left of this pic.[/em]

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Premium Member
[strong]Fitted a small handlebar-mounted 'bar-bag'.[/strong] I’ve already fitted a small ~7L rear-mounted top-box for carrying small items such as a mobile phone, camera, etc. when on day-rides, but it has to be removed when I want to install the much larger 28L top-box for longer trips.

I do like to have my camera - in particular - within easy reach for when an on-the-road photo opportunity arises, as it’s not always possible or safe to stop and dismount to rummage about on the bike to find it.

So I bought, marked–down for $15 in the cycle section of a local sports-goods megastore, an even smaller (at about 4L capacity) hard splash-proof case that can be carried as a handlebar-mounted ‘tank bag’ for the camera, phone, etc., when the full-size top-box is installed.

I don’t care for conventional tank-bags, but this suits me very well. It’s right in front of me as I ride, and is a moment’s work to install or remove as needed.

This is the third one of these small ZIXTRO bags I’ve bought and fitted, and I was amazed to find a few still left in the store.
http://i.imgur.com/aiHnDpP.jpg
[em]ps - a small reward for whoever can identify the small object appearing to the lhs of the tank in the bottom left of this pic.[/em]

A Corgi?

A Corgi?
Close, joe, but no cigar. It's the nose of my beloved Shetland Sheepdog, Honey. Think of a smaller version of Lassie. Small reward on way - check your PMs.

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

[strong]New 43T rear sprocket fitted.
[/strong]
As others here have also reported, I find myself searching for that 7th, or even 8th gear when in cruising mode at reasonable velocities. I know the Tracer’s engine – its finest attribute, I believe – is pretty much bullet-proof, but it does often seem to be revving too hard for my liking. It sounds kind-of stressed though it probably isn’t – but it makes [em]me[/em] a bit less relaxed than I like to be when on longer rides.

The recent loosening of the chain slack has reduced appreciably the whining noise from the bike, so I am a now little more accepting of the remaining mechanical noise at speed, but even so a reduction in rpm was next job on the list.

So today my dealer fitted a new 43T rear sprocket for me, at a cost of $60 for the part and a reasonable $55 for fitting.

It’s hard to be precise about the effect, given the rough tacho graduations, which rather resemble the teeth on a coarse comb used to groom horses, but I think it has reduced top-gear revs by about 300 - 350rpm at 100kph indicated.

Maximum posted speed limits here – often strongly policed with fixed or mobile radar – are usually 100kph or 110kph, so 100kph is a typical highway speed.

The bike certainly sounds and feels as if it’s working a little more easily now – it's highly subjective, I know, and not very scientific, but it’s a bit ‘softer’ and ‘smoother’ perhaps: not a huge difference, but I didn’t expect more.

From a brief ride home, higher-gear roll-on acceleration seems somewhat reduced, and acceleration in the lower gears is perhaps a bit like in B mode. It’s all rather more subdued compared to the frantic – if exhilarating – previous performance, but still acceptable to this no-wheelies/ risk-averse old rider.

If I need more I can easily slip briefly into A mode, and if over time I feel the bike has lost too much ‘edge’, well, the OE sprocket can quickly and easily be re-installed. Time and more kilometres will tell…

So along with recent tweaks to soften and improve the suspension, removal of the annoying and distracting transmission whine, and the excellent new Bagster seat, I’ve managed to nudge the bike a bit more towards the desired touring end of the performance spectrum, so I’m happy.

With at least one and maybe two long-ish ~4400km tours planned for later this year, on both of which there will be long, straight sections of highway calling for sustained moderate- to high-speed cruising (but within the posted limits, of course!) this small and quite cheap improvement may be worthwhile.

• Premium Member
Mmmm... Grip Buddies. For those in Canada, I got these at Motorcycle Innovations. Very comfy. 

...and here's a pic of my rig at a recent Ride-For-Dad prostate cancer charity event. Installed Grip Buddies the next day.

What bar ends are those????

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

• Premium Member
Today I thrashed her up the Dragon at Deal's Gap. :)
2015 Stealth Grey FJ-09 Pilot
Base of Operations: Chesterfield, VA
Farkels? Lots, nothing flashy, but all functional...

• Premium Member
What bar ends are those?????
FZ-09 bar ends ($28 at the dealer for the set). Nice and heavy, and fit perfectly.
Got a picture of the throttle side? :) 
On edit: How about increased vibration??

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

Today I thrashed her up the Dragon at Deal's Gap. :)
Nice!! I'm going to be heading up to that area at the end of June.. Its been about 2 years since I have last been so I'm pretty excited! 

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• Premium Member
Got a picture of the throttle side? :) On edit: How about increased vibration??
...don't notice any change in vibration, but I did notice reduction is steering wobble (slight as it was) since removing the guards. 

Thanks for the picture and the quick reply... :) Just to fact check.....  
FZ-09 bar ends fit when you remove the inserts that are on the FJ for the hand guards??  If that is true, then I can buy some sexy Sato's for an FZ and put them on my FJ....  Right??
As for steering wobble... I have found that my FJ has no wobble in "clean" air ie. the open road without traffic, right up to the speed limiter. However in "dirty" air, ie.  turbulent air from traffic it does wobble.
It is my belief that the turbulent air pushes on the guards unevenly, which leads to the wobble....
So... Be gone you silly hand guards..... :)

• Premium Member
...FZ-09 bar ends fit when you remove the inserts that are on the FJ for the hand guards??  If that is true, then I can buy some sexy Sato's for an FZ and put them on my FJ....  Right??...

Yes, remove everything down to base bar thread...then the FZ-09 ends spin right on. You could potentially get any bar ends meant for the FZ and expect them to fit the FJ... but I can only confirm the ones I put on. Just note that the FZ ends are steel and have some weight to them. There are many bar ends out there that are some kind of lightweight alloy or aluminum, so if you expect any kind of dampening from your ends, they need to have some weight.
Thanks for the help piotrek... :) Here is what I'm going to do....
Sato's website says these are for an FZ-09
LONG-style Bar Ends (YAMAHA-type)
Our LONG-style Stainless Steel Bar Ends are quite heavy,
which may help suppress handle bar vibrations.
yamaha_handlebarend_longstyle_zps1ze4cepw.jpg

• Premium Member
For reference....

SATO RACING Yamaha-type Handle Bar End shown with the stock Yamaha bar end.

Also shown: Compact (22mm) Bar End for Yamaha, which is designed for use with
our 'Type1' Lever Guard, but can also be installed without the Lever Guard. Details

YamahaBarEnd_Stock_vs_Sato_600x400_zps0n330dyp.jpg

• Premium Member
Installed a small tank bag to carry small items on my trip up to Montreal for the Canadian Grand Prix.  
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/cortech-micro-20-tank-bag

11046231-EA53-4D3C-AE45-4F3022B3B1B5_zpsajbgcut3.jpg

Gear to be packed
8883DD4D-77C3-4124-930E-0C5942CD3289_zpsuet7kdcv.jpg

Don't forget a RR and some pictures.....