S1000XR

trench

• Premium Member
I did all the upgrades possible to my fj.Thosands of dollars.Then I rode the XR it is by far a superior bike in every way.All XRs come fully loaded that come to the states. 19k igot 1k off so 18k.Yes I lost a lot of money when I sold my fj that I had 16k into it but I could not ride my fj after riding an amazing bike that the xr is.So you people on this forum that think your low budget fj is any were near an XR need to test ride one.Take a reality check and realize that the XR may be 18k but it is perfection right out of the box.No need to modify the bike in anyway.Dont be fooled by buying seats,suspension,ecu flash,pipe,ect, the list goes on and on because all the aftermarket parts do improve the fj but it still is no were near the stock XR. this was a costly experiment and people on this forum that for example say a gpr stablizer improves the fj high speed wobbles but fail to tell you it totally ruins the fjs handling and you are stuck with a $575 piece of junk. there is were the problem lies.Throwing good money after good money trying on your own to create a perfect bike cannot compete with bmw r&d they have created the perfect bike price for this is 18k. I sit here reading people saying you can quickshift without a quickshifter is Ludacris.This action damages your transmission over a short period of time, I know this because I used to race dirt bikes and did this all the time. It is not a special exact timing coordination issue. Only bikes with quick shifters are meant to be clutchless shifted without causing damage.
Thanks for your opinion. Enjoy your new ride. I will stick with my F-Jay and be very happy.  
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member
I did all the upgrades possible to my fj.Thosands of dollars.Then I rode the XR it is by far a superior bike in every way.All XRs come fully loaded that come to the states. 19k igot 1k off so 18k.Yes I lost a lot of money when I sold my fj that I had 16k into it but I could not ride my fj after riding an amazing bike that the xr is.So you people on this forum that think your low budget fj is any were near an XR need to test ride one.Take a reality check and realize that the XR may be 18k but it is perfection right out of the box.No need to modify the bike in anyway.Dont be fooled by buying seats,suspension,ecu flash,pipe,ect, the list goes on and on because all the aftermarket parts do improve the fj but it still is no were near the stock XR. this was a costly experiment and people on this forum that for example say a gpr stablizer improves the fj high speed wobbles but fail to tell you it totally ruins the fjs handling and you are stuck with a $575 piece of junk. there is were the problem lies.Throwing good money after good money trying on your own to create a perfect bike cannot compete with bmw r&d they have created the perfect bike price for this is 18k. I sit here reading people saying you can quickshift without a quickshifter is Ludacris.This action damages your transmission over a short period of time, I know this because I used to race dirt bikes and did this all the time. It is not a special exact timing coordination issue. Only bikes with quick shifters are meant to be clutchless shifted without causing damage.
There seems to be some animosity in your post, and maybe that comes from your own financial frustration trying to make the FJ-09 something it was never going to be for you. At twice the price of an FJ-09, the XR SHOULD be near perfect....but it's not. I hope the terrible buzz in the handlebars that every moto-rag mentioned doesn't bother you much. How about the saddle bags? Sucks that an $18k motorcycle doesn't come standard with hard bags. Add another $1055 for those. Of course, you'll still have a chain drive to maintain and for $18K, that's sad. Then there's the elephant in the room whenever you're talking about BMW motorcycles....poor reliability.  But congrats!
Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

• Premium Member
This thread is starting to go south. Close to getting locked.
yes, it seems to be developing into one of those idioms you don't want me to mention :P
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

This action damages your transmission over a short period of time, I know this because I used to race dirt bikes and did this all the time. It is not a special exact timing coordination issue. Only bikes with quick shifters are meant to be clutchless shifted without causing damage.
dirt bikes are made for minimum weight. They aren't made for long term usage and thus parts are smaller and weaker by design. Street bikes also have things like cush drives which are decidedly lacking on dirt bikes though it may be an equivalent trade off since dirt bikes don't hook up the tire like asphalt and thus pass on the shocks to the gear train. 
I clutchless up-shift all the time and 30-80k miles on my bikes they have yet to have a problem. But I'm not ham-fisted about it and almost never do it for down shifts. Just a little bit of clutch lever pressure is enough for those, though.

You can ruin a transmission with a badly adjusted quick-shifter too. That you threw $600 at a steering damper instead of figuring out the real problem is more your fault than anything else. And that it degraded low-speed handling is again your not altering it's setup based on riding pace.

Enjoy your BMW but the reason many own an FJ instead has little to do with it being the 'perfect' bike or not needing a few upgrades.

Looks like a nice machine for sure, but it will cost you extra for everything. I mean BMW makes a lower seat a option ?BMW is slick they have a chip in the ECU to prevent you from over reving the bike during breakin, guess what it cost another $500 to change oil and the chip after 600 miles. So if you wanted a bike with TC it would cost $18,750 plus set up charge and tax , you're looking at a bike over $20,000 with a 61in wheelbase.
You might want to check your facts.  Break in service cost me $250. at the dealer, the standard bike comes with traction control and I hve no idea where you came up with the $18,750 figure.  We are all entitled to our opinions but we are not entitled to our facts.  

true, facts remain immutable.

I have been riding a while now and never seen a bike that inspires so much debate. When I bought my 2007 FZ6 it was undoubtedly the finest model year that bike had ever seen. It was just a great ride. Now I feel sure there will be improvements on this bike over time. Yamaha is pretty good at the incremental improvements. But why all the hate? I ride the bike as much as winter allows and have now cleared the 1K mark in miles. I think it's a fantastic bike that needed some upgrades. Is it perfect? Wow, that's a loaded question. NOTHING is perfect. I have noticed that something I didn't get a whole lot on my last bike is back - stupid grins. I catch myself smiling a lot after opening the throttle. And that's all I really give a crap about.
Plus, I like farkling. Playing with the bike in the garage keeps me busy over winter's long, grey haul. I feel positive there are nicer, faster, higher quality, sexier, better handling, finer tolerance and just plain more awesome bikes out there. I don't own them and probably never will. My life is not such that I can get any bike I want. When I buy one I have it a minimum 2-3 years. After that, if I hate it, I'll get a new one. I expect this bike will be here for 7-9 years. It's fun, exciting and does what I need it too. Chasing the perfect bike is for people who have more money than I do. And more time, cuz I don't think you will ever find it.
2015 Red FJ 09
2013 WR250R - little boy blue - sold
2012 DL650 V Strom - sold
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

• Premium Member
Comparison with other bikes are really only relevant before you buy. Once you've decided what you want enjoy the thing for what it is. I have also been looking at other bikes (happens in January, not enough riding and dreaming too much) and thought of different options; a K1300GT as a dedicated touring bike in addition to the Tracer, a R1200RS as an all-rounder to replace the Tracer, and then yesterday spotted a KTM 1290 SuperAdventure (hugely impressive but big and led me through internet reading about that to the KTM SuperDuke GT). But as I read about all those bikes, and they are all much more expensive than the Tracer, it was interesting to note on the forums how many buyers were disillusioned and had complaints. Maybe if you pay more you expect more, but I think I saw more discontent than on this forum. So much so that I am put off from the KTM - too many reliability issues and seemingly poor service.

So I think I'll keep the Tracer. Maybe upgrade the suspension.

Besides, who'd stick with poor @wessie if I, like another of our touring companions turned up on a 180BHP bike? He does get lost on the best routes in France.

• Premium Member
The odds are @johan, Stu will be turning up on the ER6 again as the KTM will be waiting for a spare part or software upgrade.

There's no such thing as getting lost in France, just routes alternées. A tour of the Flemish Baroque and Gothic architecture of Arras plus the sympathetic circumnavigation of the Romanesque cobbled streets of Autun were cultural highlights of our trip.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
The odds are @johan , Stu will be turning up on the ER6 again as the KTM will be waiting for a spare part or software upgrade.  
There's no such thing as getting lost in France, just routes alternées. A tour of the Flemish Baroque and Gothic architecture of Arras plus the sympathetic circumnavigation of the Romanesque cobbled streets of Autun were cultural highlights of our trip.
Autun was a nice detour. I bet he'll have the same exhaust and it will break again.

• Premium Member
the standard bike comes with traction control and I hve no idea where you came up with the $18,750 figure.  We are all entitled to our opinions but we are not entitled to our facts.
Me either. The cheapest one around my parts is $19,245!!! linky 
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

maybe I'm lucky. I have never had a test ride on any of these bikes. How the saying go.... "ignorance is bliss" :)

I'll admit it, I lust after the Super Duke. It's gorgeous and sexy and powerful. I also know I can't afford the bike, don't want to do the maintenance and don't think it would be all around as useful. Maybe that's where I'm broken. I require functionality across a spectrum of uses.
2015 Red FJ 09
2013 WR250R - little boy blue - sold
2012 DL650 V Strom - sold
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

Archived