S1000XR

trench

Had to go look, that XR looks amazingly like my 2007 FZ6 :)

Except for that absurdly huge exhaust can. What is it with the ever growing, transformerish looking mufflers?

1d9KeY8.jpg
2015 Red FJ 09
2013 WR250R - little boy blue - sold
2012 DL650 V Strom - sold
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Had to go look, that XR looks amazingly like my 2007 FZ6 :) 
Except for that absurdly huge exhaust can. What is it with the ever growing, transformerish looking mufflers?

1d9KeY8.jpg
I do like the looks of our FJ muffler. Clean, out of the way, and no chance of a passenger getting burned. That being said, have you heard how that XR sounds? I've only heard it in videos, but the sound alone is enough to get some adrenaline pumping. Such a sweet sound. The stock FJ sound? Eh...

My friend has the XR with the low factory suspension. In my opinion the low suspension makes the XR an even better bike. I'm not a 4 cylinder guy but it is one of the best bikes I've ever ridden, including my '15 R1. I swore I'd never own a BMW but I liked it so much I ended up at the dealer and saw the new R1200RS. Love at first sight confirmed on first ride. I bought it and the quality is worth every penny. Same is true of the XR. My friend swapped bar ends and that eliminated the vibration issue completely. The FJ is a decent bike but even compared to Yamaha's own R1 the FJ-09 seems budget. That to me has ruined the ownership experience.

My friend has the XR with the low factory suspension. In my opinion the low suspension makes the XR an even better bike. I'm not a 4 cylinder guy but it is one of the best bikes I've ever ridden, including my '15 R1. I swore I'd never own a BMW but I liked it so much I ended up at the dealer and saw the new R1200RS. Love at first sight confirmed on first ride. I bought it and the quality is worth every penny. Same is true of the XR. My friend swapped bar ends and that eliminated the vibration issue completely. The FJ is a decent bike but even compared to Yamaha's own R1 the FJ-09 seems budget. That to me has ruined the ownership experience.

Can't have everything at the same level of BMW or R1 and still keep the price point of the FJ. Gotta compromise somewhere to get half the price. The FJ is a helluva bike for its price point. If you can drop $20k on a bike, of course it's going to be better than a $10k bike. The fact that a $10k bike is even compared to the $20k+ bikes really says something about the FJ. My Chevy Volt isn't as nice as a Tesla P90D. Doesn't mean my ownership experience is ruined. Just means I have reasonable expectations and I buy what I can afford. Good for you that you can afford the BMW. They make great bikes. Just keep your expectations in check when comparing the FJ to bikes twice its price.

You officially recieve the award for most preposterous hyperbole for the day! There are some compromises, but I have had the pleasure of riding my friends BMW's and I think the FJ 09 feels muy bueno. The motor and mechanicals are top notch. The little computer screen is a little blocky but its fun to play with and the plastics are admittedly not the best, but they work.

I have upgraded my suspension to what I feel is superior to anything off the shelf from BMW and I am only $10,500 into the bike. And it is a budget bike compared to the R1. Thats pretty much by definition.

I get that you like the ride and feel of the Beemer, more power to ya. But making a statement like that on an FJ 09 board if pretty much just trolling as far as I can tell.

2015 Red FJ 09
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

• Premium Member
You officially recieve the award for most preposterous hyperbole for the day! There are some compromises, but I have had the pleasure of riding my friends BMW's and I think the FJ 09 feels muy bueno. The motor and mechanicals are top notch. The little computer screen is a little blocky but its fun to play with and the plastics are admittedly not the best, but they work.

I have upgraded my suspension to what I feel is superior to anything off the shelf from BMW and I am only $10,500 into the bike. And it is a budget bike compared to the R1. Thats pretty much by definition.

I get that you like the ride and feel of the Beemer, more power to ya. But making a statement like that on an FJ 09 board if pretty much just trolling as far as I can tell.

The poster's avatar says it all. Mule, donkey or ass. I'll let the reader choose.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member

The poster's avatar says it all. Mule, donkey or ass. I'll let the reader choose.

Apologize to any and all offended. Was only posting my opinion, don't even know what trolling is. Having owned many Yamahas this is the only bike I thought could have been better.

Apologize to any and all offended. Was only posting my opinion, don't even know what trolling is. Having owned many Yamahas this is the only bike I thought could have been better.

I think you opinion is valuable and I do agree the fj09 is more a budget bike. Having said that it still is a great bike for the money but the quality is not up to my standard. I find the fit and finish is below others in this price range. The engine has good get up and go but the nosies it makes can be concerning. The windscreen does nothing but keep a few bugs off, the seat is not comfortable, and the very bad design on the oil pan. With all the negatives its still a good bike to add and change the things you want to change and be under budget then the BMW.
Would I have bought a different bike? No. It fits my needs and is much better riding two up then the zx6r even though I ride the zx6r more.

Before I get completely crucified forget the XR. My gripe with the FJ is vs what Yamaha can do. I owned a '15 R1 for six months and it was perfect in every detail. For $16,500 it was better in every way than a $25,000. Ducati. That is why I am tainted toward the FJ. I like the FJ, I think its a decent bike, I just think Yamaha could have done a little better. Now if you guys want to disagree I have no problem with that. If you want to start name calling and the like well I don't think that's necessary.

donk,your statement here is fair. And you are free to say what you want (within the limits of the forum of course). My issue was that I felt the statement was way over the top. Could Yamaha do better? Sure they can. In today's world a bike around 10k is a budget bike. Corners are cut to make it work.
If I went to a BMW forum and started slamming their bikes, talking about how I bought a different one and how their bikes have a ludicrous amount of maintenance, not to mention the incredible cost of repairs and parts while also bringing up what I feel the shortcomings of their rides might be and focusing on how crappy all this is that it ruined the whole experience for me even though i dont own one ..... well, you think that might get them riled up?
2015 Red FJ 09
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

• Premium Member
Are you guys really comparing the FJ-09 to a $17,000 BMW? Gee, the BMW might just win that. 

Until the final drive, ABS pump or clutch slave cylinder fails on the BMW. Then it's a $20,000 BMW waiting on the next failure. I've owned them....I know.
Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

Are you guys really comparing the FJ-09 to a $17,000 BMW? Gee, the BMW might just win that. 

Until the final drive, ABS pump or clutch slave cylinder fails on the BMW. Then it's a $20,000 BMW waiting on the next failure. I've owned them....I know.

Yeah, the thousands of final drive failures and owners being ignored by BMW never seems to get mentioned in all the bike magazine reviews.

• Premium Member

You got off lightly. 
My R1150GS was a great bike, an early 2000 model. I lost confidence in the brand after the Evo brakes fiasco on later models, then the R1200GS came out with an endless list of problems. Their bikes are great on paper but I can't perceive them as a quality brand and certainly not suitable for a 1 bike does it all situation like mine.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Archived