S1000XR

trench

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member
Have no fear. Get it flashed and enjoy your bike :) 
The only way they could tell is if Yamaha rode it and realized it's now amazing, or if they cut open and extracted the programming instructions.  No dealer is going to know this.  And also, if they found out, they cannot void warranty on the whole bike.  For example, your cam chain tensioner fails, they cannot void that because you flashed the ECU.  Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.

You can also flash back to stock.

Also if the default Mode setting is left on "Std" instead of changing it to "A" there's nothing visually to set their minds to wondering...

I really should never have to refresh the computer and void my warranty to get a bike to run properly. However, I am so dissatisfied with the stock fueling.

Blame CARB and the e p freaking A.
The leaner these machines need to be to hit emissions targets - the more sensitive the fueling becomes.

-Skip

You can pick on my riding if you like, but have owned several and ridden dozens of bikes, the fueling on this bike is snatchy at low throttle inputs compared to other bikes. After dozens of years of riding I don't feel its a safety issue but Id be leery to let less experienced rider ride my bike. The XR is out of my league too, high cost and expensive maintenance, but bot would I love an R spec FJ like triumph does.
2001 Honda Saber - sold
2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold
2005 Yamaha FZ6 - sold
2007 Yamaha Vstar 1300 - sold
2008 Kawasaki Versys - sold
2009 Yamaha FZ6 - sold
2010 Yamaha Raider - sold
2012 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 - sold
2014 Yamaha FJR - sold
2015 Yamaha FJ-09 - lemon back to dealer
2016 Yamaha FJ -09

I hear ya!  The fueling on this bike, with the stock ECU settings, is snatchy.  Anybody who disagrees doesn't know what a smooth throttle response feels like.  When I first dared to post those thoughts months ago, people said "hey, you must not know how to work a throttle smoothly." Now, pretty much everybody agrees.  Is it better than the old FZ-09?  Sure, I guess, but I never rode one.  If you want to know what a smooth throttle response feels like, have the ECU reflashed with Nels like I did.  Then you'll know what we're talking about. 

I own an FJ-09 and have done an extensive test ride on the XR. Ive never ever been a BMW guy before, but for half the price we get half the bike. The XR has fantastic brakes, ours suck. The XR has great suspension, we don't. The XR has a lot more power and super smooth fuel delivery. My FJ is the worst fueled bike I've owned yet. The XR has way more electronic gizmos, which are optional. The XR has way more sophisticated TC and Cornering ABS, our system is very rudimentary. The XR stock seat is wayyyyy more comfortable. The only thing the FJ has better is a lower price and thats why I bought one. I would also like to say the FJ has better reliability, but for me, mine has been in the shop longer than out of it and still is not fixed, so even thats not true. I know many folks will want to come to defense of the FJ, I only ask you test ride an XR first. Its free to do so.
Maybe you should have purchased the BMW.  Sounds like you never liked the FJ in the first place.  Why did you buy it?  I disagree about the brakes - I think they are excellent and I have used them in a high speed panic stop.  I agree the XR has a lot more gizmo's and you pay for them.  The BMW is NOT worth the $7k difference between the bikes - not by a long shot. 

• Premium Member
I have to agree with Rodan , I see nothing wrong with the stock fueling
Same here.
Compared to a nice carbureted bike the very low RPM fueling is a bit herky-jerky coming off-throttle.  This makes a big difference when riding over choppy roads where it's hard to keep the throttle really steady. 
Having said that, a lot of FI bikes do this.  My old Daytona was much worse in this respect, and few people complained about poor fueling on that bike.  (Then again, not many people were as crazy as I was as to what kinds of roads they took it on. :-)  )  It didn't take me long to learn to ride around that on the Daytona, and in STD mode on the FJ I rarely notice.   Moreover, if you're on a road where it is making a big difference, switching to B mode completely cures it.  So, while it's not perfect, it's hard to call it a real-world problem.

I would like to get it remapped so it's smooth everywhere but if you asked me if it really needed it I'd have to say "no".  Really, the only thing it needs out of the box is a windscreen that's not so noisy, at least IMO.

2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

• Premium Member
Have no fear. Get it flashed and enjoy your bike :) 
The only way they could tell is if Yamaha rode it and realized it's now amazing, or if they cut open and extracted the programming instructions.  No dealer is going to know this.  And also, if they found out, they cannot void warranty on the whole bike.  For example, your cam chain tensioner fails, they cannot void that because you flashed the ECU.  Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.

You can also flash back to stock.

Also if the default Mode setting is left on "Std" instead of changing it to "A" there's nothing visually to set their minds to wondering...
Electronic gizmos like the ECU have to be tested by the manufacturer for quality assurance.  This is particularly the case for automotive control units where lives are on the line if they don't work correctly.  They do this by connecting them to a machine that feeds them test inputs and compares the outputs to expected values.  So, if Yamaha really wanted to know if it had been tampered with, they need only do this; the ECU would be reported as out-of-spec quickly, no disassembly required. 
(My brother used to write software for such testing machines.)

It's hard to imagine a case where they would be motivated to do it, but they could.  In some (many?) US states it wouldn't really matter; while it would void the warranty on the ECU, unless it can be shown that a warranty claim resulted from the modified ECU then it would be illegal to deny the claim just on that alone.  Your valves burned up due to too-lean fueling?  Yea.  Almost anything else?  No.  But since most ECU modifications are to fix over-lean conditions in the first place....

2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

I own an FJ-09 and have done an extensive test ride on the XR. Ive never ever been a BMW guy before, but for half the price we get half the bike. The XR has fantastic brakes, ours suck. The XR has great suspension, we don't. The XR has a lot more power and super smooth fuel delivery. My FJ is the worst fueled bike I've owned yet. The XR has way more electronic gizmos, which are optional. The XR has way more sophisticated TC and Cornering ABS, our system is very rudimentary. The XR stock seat is wayyyyy more comfortable. The only thing the FJ has better is a lower price and thats why I bought one. I would also like to say the FJ has better reliability, but for me, mine has been in the shop longer than out of it and still is not fixed, so even thats not true. I know many folks will want to come to defense of the FJ, I only ask you test ride an XR first. Its free to do so.
I have an XR with 3000 miles on it and had an FJ-09 for 2400 miles. The FJ has a great engine even though the fueling is still not right. Yamaha makes great engines but they continue to struggle with the fueling. It bugs the crap out of me that they can't get the fueling right and there is no reason for it. The rest of the FJ package is clearly built to a budget. Overall, it is a very competent bike and most owners will be happy with it but I was looking for a better all around bike. I would have had to change the suspension and the seat and it should at least have had cruise as an option.  
The XR is, quite simply, exceptional! I have test ridden over 2 dozen bikes in the last 2 years and the XR is in a league by itself. The engine is a gem putting 150hp to the wheel and the handling is as good as it gets. Top notch suspension and top notch brakes. Nothing else is even close. The cruise and integrated GPS is icing on the cake. It is the bike I have been waiting for and the one I was hoping Yamaha would build. The new R1 is an example of what Yamaha can do when they decide to build an top shelf bike. I just wish Yamaha would build a bike to compete with the XR. 

I have had a lot of Yamaha's but this is my first BMW. It costs twice as much but for me, it is worth every penny. I sold the FJ but the XR will very likely be around for a very long time. 

Many FJ owners are quite happy but if given the chance take an XR for a test ride just for the heck of it. What can it hurt?

I bought it because the flaws I now know weren't apparent to me at purchase. The XR s still out of my league and since Yamaha can't get mine to start correctly my dealer will be taking it back from me towards a '16 FJ or something else. I really don't want a more expensive bike. I am waiting to see what changes there will be for the '16. We should know shortly. I love the weight point of this bike the most. 550lbs for a Versys is more than I prefer. Anyone road a Versys 1000, I haven't.
2001 Honda Saber - sold
2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold
2005 Yamaha FZ6 - sold
2007 Yamaha Vstar 1300 - sold
2008 Kawasaki Versys - sold
2009 Yamaha FZ6 - sold
2010 Yamaha Raider - sold
2012 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 - sold
2014 Yamaha FJR - sold
2015 Yamaha FJ-09 - lemon back to dealer
2016 Yamaha FJ -09

Archived