S1000XR

trench

I've been reading the hands-on reviews of the BMW S1000XR.  It sounds like an amazing bike that would satisfy all of of us FJ/Tracer owners.  The thing that struck me however was that the description of the riding experience is essentially the same thing we all experience on a bike that costs a fraction of BMW price.  We still have the best bike to value ratio if you want this type of bike.  It really is no contest.  I still can't believe how fun and capable this bike is.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A very interesting review would be a Multistrada, S1000XR, and FJ-09 upgraded with aftermarket parts up to the retail value of the other bikes. The fundamental HP and electronics may be too much of a gap to overcome, but it would be fascinating.

I would love to see the same review. I have a Multistrada and an FJ. Add some top notch suspension, pipe for just a little better sound, flash it and then compare.
In my opinion the FJ would be right there.
Probably within 75% of the power, 85% of the handling and about 60 % of the cost..
Love riding both of mine.
If I could only keep one it would be the Multistrada.
RC

• Premium Member
I am so happy with my bike with the mods I installed (see signature line). I really do not even think of buying a faster bike. Well within my capabilities. I let a friend ride my bike when it was new, and again today. He said it was night and day. He loved the new suspension and fueling, but still had a hard time with the foot pegs and high handlebars. He mostly rides sportbikes, but also has a Wee-Strum he commutes on.
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• Premium Member
I have not ridden the S1000XR. I wanted it but did not want to wait and got the Tracer/FJ. I sat on the BMW recently. Stationary I was surprised how bulky and heavy it felt. The Multistrada feels tall, but I like the feel. I may be tempted. But the Yamaha triple is just the perfect engine for me.

• Premium Member
My best riding buddy got the XR about a week before I got my FJ. We have been on a couple of rides now, and yesterday he was blown away by how fast and smooth I was riding. He is a very good rider, and can leave me in the straights, but I was right with him in the fast twisties, and got by and gapped him in the tight, bumpy, goaty stuff. I am still on stock suspension and fueling too. He has 50 more HP, but also about 40 more lbs. I love the lightness and agility of this thing. I am probably going to get the re flash to clean up a low speed uneven fuel delivery and slightly abrupt mid turn throttle inputs, but I could live with it as is too.
Pistons or pedals, 2 wheels are where it's at...

I own an FJ-09 and have done an extensive test ride on the XR. Ive never ever been a BMW guy before, but for half the price we get half the bike. The XR has fantastic brakes, ours suck. The XR has great suspension, we don't. The XR has a lot more power and super smooth fuel delivery. My FJ is the worst fueled bike I've owned yet. The XR has way more electronic gizmos, which are optional. The XR has way more sophisticated TC and Cornering ABS, our system is very rudimentary. The XR stock seat is wayyyyy more comfortable. The only thing the FJ has better is a lower price and thats why I bought one. I would also like to say the FJ has better reliability, but for me, mine has been in the shop longer than out of it and still is not fixed, so even thats not true. I know many folks will want to come to defense of the FJ, I only ask you test ride an XR first. Its free to do so.
2001 Honda Saber - sold
2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold
2005 Yamaha FZ6 - sold
2007 Yamaha Vstar 1300 - sold
2008 Kawasaki Versys - sold
2009 Yamaha FZ6 - sold
2010 Yamaha Raider - sold
2012 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 - sold
2014 Yamaha FJR - sold
2015 Yamaha FJ-09 - lemon back to dealer
2016 Yamaha FJ -09

• Premium Member
I own an FJ-09 and have done an extensive test ride on the XR. Ive never ever been a BMW guy before, but for half the price we get half the bike. The XR has fantastic brakes, ours suck. The XR has great suspension, we don't. The XR has a lot more power and super smooth fuel delivery. My FJ is the worst fueled bike I've owned yet. The XR has way more electronic gizmos, which are optional. The XR has way more sophisticated TC and Cornering ABS, our system is very rudimentary. The XR stock seat is wayyyyy more comfortable. The only thing the FJ has better is a lower price and thats why I bought one. I would also like to say the FJ has better reliability, but for me, mine has been in the shop longer than out of it and still is not fixed, so even thats not true. I know many folks will want to come to defense of the FJ, I only ask you test ride an XR first. Its free to do so.
I don't blame your sour taste to the FJ-09 due to your problems, but you need to ride mine and you will change your mind guaranteed. Still way cheaper than the XR will all my mods that I always do to all my previous bikes. You are absolutely wrong in saying the XR is twice the bike. Is it nicer, maybe, is it twice as good, no way. YMMV 
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

Have you ridden an XR? To upgrade the brakes and suspension and seat alone would cost thousands and I still be stuck with 45 less hp and poor fueling and far less electronics like cornering abs which I love. But thats why they make so many models. I am a yamaha guy and will likely stay with them. But this is my first one that disappointed me.
2001 Honda Saber - sold
2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold
2005 Yamaha FZ6 - sold
2009 Yamaha FZ6 - sold
2014 Yamaha FJR - sold
2016 Yamaha FJ -09

Have you ridden an XR? To upgrade the brakes and suspension and seat alone would cost thousands and I still be stuck with 45 less hp and poor fueling and far less electronics like cornering abs which I love. But thats why they make so many models. I am a yamaha guy and will likely stay with them. But this is my first one that disappointed me.
I am not trying to argue for either bike, but if you love cornering ABS, why did you buy the FJ-09?

If anyone spends thousands to upgrade the suspension, brakes and seat, they really should spend another $350 for the reflash to get the fueling perfect.

I would probably love the XR, but the FJ-09 hits the sweet spot for me.

FJ-09, 690 Enduro R.
Back Roads. Period.

Looks like a nice machine for sure, but it will cost you extra for everything. I mean BMW makes a lower seat a option ?BMW is slick they have a chip in the ECU to prevent you from over reving the bike during breakin, guess what it cost another $500 to change oil and the chip after 600 miles. So if you wanted a bike with TC it would cost $18,750 plus set up charge and tax , you're looking at a bike over $20,000 with a 61in wheelbase.

I really should never have to refresh the computer and void my warranty to get a bike to run properly. However, I am so dissatisfied with the stock fueling, I will likely get a reflash. Id likely never buy a bmw for the same reason Id never buy a luxury car. 1. I hate the "status" of owning such a nameplate. 2. Even with all my problems with this bike, I think Japanese quality is overall better than the germans. 2015 was the first year for CABS on a KTM and 2016 was the first year for CABS on a BMW. I will wait for it to trickle down, but out of the box the XR is brilliant in every way I can measure. 
2001 Honda Saber - sold
2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold
2005 Yamaha FZ6 - sold
2009 Yamaha FZ6 - sold
2014 Yamaha FJR - sold
2016 Yamaha FJ -09

Have no fear. Get it flashed and enjoy your bike :)

The only way they could tell is if Yamaha rode it and realized it's now amazing, or if they cut open and extracted the programming instructions.  No dealer is going to know this.  And also, if they found out, they cannot void warranty on the whole bike.  For example, your cam chain tensioner fails, they cannot void that because you flashed the ECU.  Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.

You can also flash back to stock.

I have not ridden the S1000XR. I wanted it but did not want to wait and got the Tracer/FJ. I sat on the BMW recently. Stationary I was surprised how bulky and heavy it felt.
I was also very interested in the XR, until BMW published the price.  $3000 premium over the S1000R, I just don't see it.  And $20k by the time it's got the options anyone would want.  In any case, they weren't available so I rode and bought the FJ9.  In the real world, it's about 85% of the XR for 60% of the $$.  Once the XRs showed up, and after sitting on one, I was doubly glad I went with the FJ.  Big and heavy was the feeling I came away with.  I have not ridden the XR, but have ridden the R.  IMHO, considering price, complexity, servicing costs, etc. I'm perfectly happy with my choice.

And, there's nothing wrong with the stock fueling on the FJ. Could it be better? Sure, I would love it if it was as perfect as my last GSXR. But it's way better than my ZX-12 was.  I just don't understand what all the fuss is about. If you're even halfway smooth on the throttle, it's fine.  And I ride mine in A mode unless it's raining.

I really should never have to refresh the computer and void my warranty to get a bike to run properly. However, I am so dissatisfied with the stock fueling, I will likely get a reflash. Id likely never buy a bmw for the same reason Id never buy a luxury car. 1. I hate the "status" of owning such a nameplate. 2. Even with all my problems with this bike, I think Japanese quality is overall better than the germans. 2015 was the first year for CABS on a KTM and 2016 was the first year for CABS on a BMW. I will wait for it to trickle down, but out of the box the XR is brilliant in every way I can measure. 
Yeah, it's been pretty well hashed out that the flash doesn't void the warranty.  I also agree that we shouldn't "have to" flash it.  I say, never say never, to getting a BMW.  If I had the funds available I would do myself a disservice not to at least consider a BMW.  They are very nice bikes.  For me, it was just way outside my budget and the closest dealer or place that works on BMW to me is over 100 miles away.  It's really not surprising a bike twice the price is better in nearly every measurable way.  For me it didn't get more than a glance because of my budget and my riding experience.  If I had the budget for an XR, I probably wouldn't be on this forum.  The FJ-09 really hits a sweet spot for me and my current situation.  If I had a bigger budget and some more riding experience to justify the expense, I'd probably be on an XR.  As it stands though, I am a very, very happy FJ-09 rider, even without the flash.

Archived