Accessory Outlet Install

I installed the 12V accessory plug while i was @ rotaryryan24's place getting the tail tidy fab done.

Wish i had taken pictures while i was doing it but my phone was on the verge of death from a long ride going in and out of service.

The outlet itself was extremely easy to install once i got access to the mounting location.  Removing the windscreen and other mounting hardware was also very straightforward.

I had issue with getting the windscreen mounting hardware put back on.  My struggle seemed to be with some plastic bushings that the adjustable windscreen plates ride on.  When i disconnected the windscreen this plastic bushing fell off the bike.  I was able to put it back on but when attempting to screw the plate back on the bushing would wriggle its way free and fall back out.

I tried different variations of locked in place and loose and found that having the adjusters somewhat loose allowed for the bolt holes to line up better than when they were completely tight.

• 1 year later...
I know this is an old thread, and thought I've seen another about the accessory outlet, but couldn't find it. I have found that since installing the extra factory outlet, my iphone cannot pull enough current to compensate for gps usage. My battery will slowly drain overtime. This doesn't matter which outlet it is in, which 12v adapter I'm using, or if something is plugged into the other or not. I have tried all combinations, but have not directly pulled the current to see what the numbers are. Luckily before my trip for some reason I thought it would be a good idea to finally install my battery tender lead and adapter and was able to use this to keep my phone charged even while the ignition was off. I had to keep this plugged in to keep the phone charged. It was enough however to keep my sena s20 charged. Very disappointing and completely defeats the whole reason I installed it in the first place.

I know this is an old thread, and thought I've seen another about the accessory outlet, but couldn't find it. I have found that since installing the extra factory outlet, my iphone cannot pull enough current to compensate for gps usage. My battery will slowly drain overtime. This doesn't matter which outlet it is in, which 12v adapter I'm using, or if something is plugged into the other or not. I have tried all combinations, but have not directly pulled the current to see what the numbers are. Luckily before my trip for some reason I thought it would be a good idea to finally install my battery tender lead and adapter and was able to use this to keep my phone charged even while the ignition was off. I had to keep this plugged in to keep the phone charged. It was enough however to keep my sena s20 charged. Very disappointing and completely defeats the whole reason I installed it in the first place.

I wanted to install my second outlet but now I am wondering if anyone else is having this problem?

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

Is it just with phones or will it not charge GPS units either? Kinda defeats the purpose of having the outlet.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

It charges just not enough.  I'm not sure if the power draw on a GPS would be less than a phone or not, probably depends on the size of the screen.  I might pull current readings to see what I get with both plugged in and then see what I get with only one plugged in if I get a chance.  I'm willing to bet they are on the same circuit and wired in parallel and not series, with a maximum current draw of say 1A, therefore meaning with 2 plugged in, you only pull .5A each.  This would be equivalent to a PC USB port (not the high powered ports).  Sure you can charge your phone but it will take longer, and changes are you aren't using GPS while charging a phone through a PC usb port.  

This is just a guess and I don't have a strong understanding of electronics so I could be wrong, but it certainly seems to be the case for me.  

I had the same concern.
Now I use a quick charge 3.0 two port USB outlet and quick charge cable, and my 6 inch phone runs Navigator GPS fine, and the phone charge goes up at the same time.
That's on the LHS outlet, my RHS outlet has a voltmeter.

My phone uses Qualcomm Quick Charge 3.0. 
You can check the charging rate with an app like the one called "Ampere".
I'm not near the bike at the moment otherwise i'd check how many amps on each.

YMMV etc.

I ran into this issue this weekend as well with my iPhone 6s.  I was in Columbus at a Ducati Demo Days and realized my GPS had killed my battery.  So I plugged it into my Powerlet 5V at 2.1A adapter and USB connector and was unable to charge my phone at all.  Phone completely died on me.  

So does anyone have an experience or know if a Quick Charge 3.0 will work with the iPhone?  So do I just need an Quick Charge 3.0 and Quick Charge lightning cable?

• 1 month later...
Another resurrection.

For anyone looking for Quick Charge 3.0 cables and USB outlet, I used these and they perform OK, USB meter readings below.
On ebay: Tronsmart CC2TF 36W Dual USB Car Charger with Quick Charge 3.0 Technology BC546

cable: Remax Micro USB 2.0 Fast Quick Charge 2.4A Data Charging Cable

Quick charge(Yellow end),  [span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span]vs [span]    [/span][span]    [/span][span]    [/span]  standard USB

108_zpsrl9cd483.jpg48_zpsi0jcoqw6.jpg

These will simultaneously charge the 6 inch phone while running a GPS app.
With standard cables the phone would discharge.
YMMV etc.

Archived