Is this safe to use to lube my chain?

shadowhawk

Just did my first oil change at 600 miles and now I need to lube my chain.  All I have at the moment is a can of Du Pont Teflon Silicone spray.  Is that stuff safe to use on the O-ring style chain?  I have been riding a shaft drive forever so chain maintenance is kind of new to me.  Also what are the do's and don'ts of chain maintenance for the FJ-09?  I don't want to go and do something stupid and ruin a good chain or something because I didn't know any better.

Read the back of the can if it mentions anything about "avoid rubber or plastic" I would not use it. Furthermore, I would spend the few bucks to get a lube designed for sealed chains.

I use Motul cleaner and lube and it's like $10 a can. There are cheaper brands, but that's just the one I've gotten used to using. You will find 1,000,000 different opinions on that..

Technically the interior of the chain is already lubed for life, hence why they're called sealed chains, but if you use cleaners and lubes that deteriorate the seals (o-rings, x-rings, etc.) you will drastically shorten the life of the chain.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

O Ring chains only need something to keep rust from forming and keep o ring material soft. I only use stuff that says OK for O ring chains on the bottle. No telling if there are other chemicals in your spray that may eat away at the O rings.

I never clean my chain. 80w90 hypoid gear oil works a treat and unlike the 'tacky' spray lubes (PJ1 etc.) does not retain dirt, doesn't collect under the sprocket cover into a gritty tar lump of sheer filth, and it wipes right off the wheel with a paper towel.

• Premium Member
+1 on the 80w gear oil recommendation. It does the job, it's cheap, and it doesn't collect dirt and crap. If you want your chain to look like a three year old who just ate an ice cream cone while playing in a sandbox, by all means keep using the spray on lubes.

I never clean my chain. 80w90 hypoid gear oil works a treat and unlike the 'tacky' spray lubes (PJ1 etc.) does not retain dirt, doesn't collect under the sprocket cover into a gritty tar lump of sheer filth, and it wipes right off the wheel with a paper towel.
How do you apply that onto the chain.  Get some on a rag and run the chain through it or just drip it on the chain while spinning the back tire?

you can get one of these applicator bottles with a metal needle (get one that's decent diameter so it'll flow, not the ones for little droplets for oiling sewing machines and the like) and put the tip between the plates and squeeze as you spin. You can approximate it with a sufficiently pointed nozzle and a modest hole. Give it 5 to settle in, spin the wheel from time to time. Then take a 'blue' paper towel and wipe it off. The next ride or two you'll probably get some fling. Pull your paper towel out of your gear bag and give it a swish.

• Premium Member
Bel-Ray super clean chain lube works for me. I have never needed to clean the chain in 6300 miles. It doesn't fling off either, so I have never needed to wipe it off of anything. It has made chain lubing easy and chain cleaning unnecessary.
bel_ray_super_clean_chain_lube_400m_l_detail.jpg

2015 red FJ-09: Cal Sci screen, Sargent seat, ECU flash, slider combo, cruise, Rizoma bars, Matts forks, JRi shock, slipper clutch

• Premium Member
How do you apply that onto the chain.
I just pour a little oil into the cap of the oil bottle and then use a q-tip to swab oil on the inside of the chain. Centrifugal force pulls the oil through the rest of the chain on the next ride.

• Premium Member
How do you apply that onto the chain.  Get some on a rag and run the chain through it or just drip it on the chain while spinning the back tire?

I use one of these to oil the chain after a wash down in paraffin.

6f61f145204c892b0b2da0c513837c3f.jpg
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Archived