Replacement of OEM brake lines with braided stainless steel

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member
...I've used slip tongue pliers and a piece of wood (ghetto, I know)... but this is a clever little gadget, albeit a little bulky.
I always use Channel Locks and one of the old pads. A rag of course to prevent scratching the caliper. 
12-28-2017_6-17-35_PM.jpg

Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

• 1 month later...
What is so "bear" about it?
The brake lines run under the gas tank to the ABS sending unit which lies beneath the seat. Removing the brake lines involves squeezing your wrench in to disconnect the lines, then trying to thread the lines which have solid sections out. I finally gave up on threading and just used tin snips to remove the stock lines. Next you thread the new lines back in (not so rough) and tighten the lines to the sending unit (a bit rough). Finally after all this I cycled about 3 bottles of brake fluid through till I could stop seeing bubbles as you are not just filling the lines but also the ABS unit. There may be an easier way but I did not see it.  

When I had finally completed it I head to the shower bitter and covered in brake fluid. Several showers later (and beers) I decided to never do this job again as long as I live. A year later I still have not installed the rear lines.

What is so "bear" about it?
The brake lines run under the gas tank to the ABS sending unit which lies beneath the seat. Removing the brake lines involves squeezing your wrench in to disconnect the lines, then trying to thread the lines which have solid sections out. I finally gave up on threading and just used tin snips to remove the stock lines. Next you thread the new lines back in (not so rough) and tighten the lines to the sending unit (a bit rough). Finally after all this I cycled about 3 bottles of brake fluid through till I could stop seeing bubbles as you are not just filling the lines but also the ABS unit. There may be an easier way but I did not see it.  

When I had finally completed it I head to the shower bitter and covered in brake fluid. Several showers later (and beers) I decided to never do this job again as long as I live. A year later I still have not installed the rear lines.

So I have purchased a copy of the service manual and have studied it like my life depends on it. Were you flying blind on the install or did you also have the manual. It doesn’t seem like it will be that bad to me but maybe I’m missing something.

I have(had) the service manual when I did mine. It does help for knowing torque specs and where to take the lines off. I ended up just cutting the lines off where I couldn’t get them through the tight spots. I just figured I would never ever put them back in ever. I used a shop vac to suck the air out of the new lines and get the new fluid to a point that I wasn’t pumping them forever. Tears are way easier then the front, do those first. Fronts are noticeably better, do one at a time and have a lot of shop towels around. I got a bunch of of the blue shop paper towels and would wrap up the ends and zip a rubber glove on the end just incase

I had a yamaha dealer install the lines. The invoice said $330. I made it part of the purchase price since the stock brake lines were so squishy on my test ride. I now have 4k miles, ride two up a lot, and would never go back to stock brake hoses.

• Supporting Member
I had a yamaha dealer install the lines. The invoice said $330. I made it part of the purchase price since the stock brake lines were so squishy on my test ride. I now have 4k miles, ride two up a lot, and would never go back to stock brake hoses.
I recently talked to the mechanic at the local Yamaha dealer about how hard this job was.  He said he just swapped out the lines on a FZ10 and said it was a B!TCH of a job on that bike, close to 5 hours. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
Those are snazzy! 
And so far, they’ve made quick work of everything I’ve tried them on. From a 3/4 ton truck to my little red mistress (that’s what my wife calls my FJ). 

Let’s go Brandon

• 3 weeks later...
Hey don't know if you did this already but it as a tough job. My hands are not kaege, neither are they small. When you do the job you will realize why this matters. I too just clipped the hard lines when I took them off. 

Routing is a pain but my biggest trouble was tightening the connections. Also bleeding the brakes. That was definitely the most painful be part. 
But it's true, afterwards they feel quite a bit more reactive.
2015 Red FJ 09
2013 WR250R - little boy blue - sold
2012 DL650 V Strom - sold
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

Archived