No Love

In SoCal many Harley riders are too cool to wave back. On that note:
Yeah, but many will wave if they see you - I think these are the ones who get the "as long as it's knees in the breeze" thing. On the freeways there are now some serious 3 feet or so high separation center walls, so I usually just poke my hand outward instead of downward if I'm in the HOV lane, thinking it's more likely to be seen. But I'm often busy watching traffic and working on that "escape route if that cage does this" thing, and see the other bike too late.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't understand why MC riders wave to each other. Driver's don't. Pedestrians don't say hello to every other walker. It strikes me as kind of odd. Perhaps based in history when there were very few riders. Not that I have any problem with it, mind you...

I've said it before and now I am saying it again: The simple wave, low, two fingered, whatever is DBPO (which means "Done Been Played Out", an expression my group home clients in Oakland used in the '80s). It is time to add some excitement and challenge to every wave! How? Good old left handed, present your choice on the third pump, Rock Scissors Paper! Every rider you pass is a challenger, and you have the chance to win!

• Premium Member
In SoCal many Harley riders are too cool to wave back. On that note: My nephew did not have a motorcycle until 2 years ago. I took a class with him and was stunned how poorly he rode. He acquired a Harley and immediately became a Harley hardass expert. Sportsters were for women only blah blah. Yep, Harley douchenozzle.
They must spray some kind of pixie dust in the air as you walk into the Harley dealerships which weakens the mind to brainwashing...........

I crack up everytime I see a Harley rider with his flame bandana, sunglasses, and mean mugging as he passes going the opposite direction. I've noticed a trend in Michigan, they're mostly middle aged fat white guys, they must be bored of their day jobs. I plan on getting a street bob as a tertiary bike someday and I definitely won't be one of the douchenozzles associated with the brand.
'15 FJ-09 - Candy Red. Mods: Cruizin cruise control, Givi D2122S WS & crash bars. Rivco anti-vibration highway pegs. Yamaha rear rack & softbags. RAM mount X grip at handlebar bolts. Shorty levers. Tail assembly shortened. FZ6 rubber pegs.
'05 Honda CRF450r
'77 Honda CB550f Super Sport

Guest bruinfj09guy
I think the wave is about comraderie amongst riders. We all enjoy the thrill, the wind, the individuality, the "freedom." We are all chancing death and danger to a degree, because we love getting around how we do. And, yes, I think it began when riding was more rare. I remember when I started riding in the mid '90s in a rural area and seeing other riders was rare. I felt compelled to wave, like I wanted to, because I felt excited to see someone else that loved doing what I was doing. Comraderie.

In LA/SoCal traffic I rarely wave, especially on freeways but often in city traffic. The uniqueness of seeing another bike just isn't there and I think there is a consensus and agreement among riders that it just gets silly and inconvenient to be waving all the damn time. Out on the twisties or more rural roads I almost always wave, except when it is not feasible to do so. When other riders or I are working corners I don't think it is expected to wave, and on some of those roads where LEO are regularly present the wave seems to often be either a thumbs up or a helmet tap to indicate either safety or potential legal threats the other rider might encounter.

I rarely get snubbed or snub on the wave, but I think most folks know the difference between getting snubbed and waving just not being concenient. Even the most Easyrider type Harley riders seem to wave. I did get snubbed the other day by about 3 or 4 full dresser harley guys; these folks seemed to be the banker/bus exec type guys that were just too elite and serious about their Harley touring to wave (what an assessment from passing in a second or two, huh :) ). The flame wearers I find are usually cool and wave. I'll wave at anyone and even if it is busy and seems unnecessary I will always make an effort to wave back if feasible.

I almost never wave at a scooter or moped, though. It's not that I'm trying to be a jerk, it's just that those things, like bicycles, aren't motorcycles. Maybe it is a little "elitist," whatever. A scooter rider I just don't feel is one of us. If you want a wave then buy an actual motorcycle. :D I've been waved at by one on occassion, though, and I still wave back when it happens to be polite, while I think to myself "isn't that cute." Lol

• Premium Member
Sometimes people wave. I wave back when I can. Sometimes I wave (I almost always try). Sometimes they wave back. Sometimes they don't. Their reasons are their own. It really isn't that big of a deal to me. I don't take it personal...

Isn't it time for an oil thread.... ;)

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

• Premium Member
I don't wave at every bike I see on the road but I will wave back to any that wave at me, even kids on the side of the road and farmers on tractors.

The only problem I have with cruser bikes is when I come up behind them and they just keep puttin along like their the only one on the road.

Unlike some very inpatient sportbike riders I know, I usually follow them for a while hoping they will get the hint and move over and wave me buy, and once in a while I'll get lucky and they do. But most of them just keep puttin along looking at me in their mirror, weaving all over and having trouble holding their bikes up because their going so slow. And when I finally pass them, usually in a no passing zone, I imagine when they get home their probably saying bad things about the lunatic that passed them today on their cruiser fourms.

BLB

• Premium Member
Being a Ural owner as well as my FJ09 and my 1976 Yamaha XS650C, I can say that the Ural has what Ural owners call,"UDF" or Ural delay factor. It is a magnet for people and gets allot of attention. I always say to perspective buyers interested in Urals, ," If your shy or you don't like attention from strangers, don't buy a Ural." I've parked next to 50,000 dollar Choppers and people will ignor the chopper and flock to my Ural. I've had 98% good encounters from all types of bike owners but then there has been some bad encounters. It just goes with the turf. I've had multiple times where people just feel free to climb on my Ural rig. That pisses me off. I guess they didn't learn that lesson not to touch other people's things without permission in Kindergarden.
A Motorcyclist's Church is the open road....

• Premium Member
Sometimes people wave. I wave back when I can. Sometimes I wave (I almost always try). Sometimes they wave back. Sometimes they don't. Their reasons are their own. It really isn't that big of a deal to me. I don't take it personal... 
Isn't it time for an oil thread.... ;)
I think we need to explore "The Nod" as an acceptable response to The Wave. Solves a lot of problems, and improves your neck/chin tone. 

Being a Ural owner as well as my FJ09 and my 1976 Yamaha XS650C, I can say that the Ural has what Ural owners call,"UDF" or Ural delay factor. It is a magnet for people and gets allot of attention. I always say to perspective buyers interested in Urals, ," If your shy or you don't like attention from strangers, don't buy a Ural." I've parked next to 50,000 dollar Choppers and people will ignor the chopper and flock to my Ural. I've had 98% good encounters from all types of bike owners but then there has been some bad encounters. It just goes with the turf. I've had multiple times where people just feel free to climb on my Ural rig. That pisses me off. I guess they didn't learn that lesson not to touch other people's things without permission in Kindergarden.

I'd never heard of a Ural and just looked it up and boy do I want one. Looks like a blast. Is the right wheel under the sidecar driven as well?
'15 FJ-09 - Candy Red. Mods: Cruizin cruise control, Givi D2122S WS & crash bars. Rivco anti-vibration highway pegs. Yamaha rear rack & softbags. RAM mount X grip at handlebar bolts. Shorty levers. Tail assembly shortened. FZ6 rubber pegs.
'05 Honda CRF450r
'77 Honda CB550f Super Sport

Florida is a helmet optional state. I am a proponent of ATGATT. The only sure "no wave return" are the chopper riders usually ape hangers and always helmetless and adorned in a tank top.

I get tired of waving back at other motorcyclists but I trie to give some sort of acknowledgement when they wave regardless of what they are riding.  Sometimes it's a little awkward as I am usually trying to hustle through the corners and letting go with my left hand during a hard corner isn't ideal.

I'm constantly amazed here in western washington anyway how many hard core harley guys (choppers even) actually initiate a wave, esp if I am on an older bmw (guess kindred low tech twin).

Once in a while someone  old timer even throws the clenched raised fist salute that was more common back on the open road in the 60's when serious bikers were not as common.

So I do wish folks would not wave so much at me, but simply don't have the heart to ignore them.  Depending on the fairing or hand guards sometimes simply raising a couple fingers is enough if I think they can see that.

My biggest issue with other bikers is when the cruiser types all pack together at slow speed on the highway and make me have to go well into three digits just to get around and away from them.  And to be behind them in the corners is too painful to bear. They seemingly take pride in going out of their way to impede traffic flow.

Archived