Sportrider Mag 10000 Mile Long Term Wrap Up

• Premium Member
this was posted some while ago...
yes, my heart is still bleeding for the poor, poor journalist that has to hand back the bike provided by Yamaha for $0
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

In order to get a gig like this, joe, you have to be prepared to sell your soul.

You will have to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous first-class (or at worst, business class) air travel to some exotic places, most often in Europe, such as sunny Spain or Sicily, or occasionally South Africa.

Five-star accommodation will be provided, if you are up to accepting it, along with silver-service wining and dining and - for all I know – dancing girls will be at your command night and day.

Tedious briefings from the manufacturer’s technical and marketing reps will have to be endured before you are handed the keys to the machinery – then off you go.

Trying to separate your true impressions from the hype handed you by the bike’s manufacturer, and filtering out the comments from fellow journos, who will always want to impress their peers with their own brand of knowledge, you will endeavour to draft some appropriate words on the long and tedious flight back home.

This chore will be eased considerably as you will have been supplied with a thick, comprehensive press kit containing many useful words and phrases, as well as heaps of action photographs.

Struggling to contain yourself, you may find it necessary to damn with faint praise some aspects of the machine in order to preserve some semblance of objectivity for your eventual readers. F’rinstance, you might find the bike has insufficient luggage tie-down points, or the speedo is a bit out, or the colour of the key fob offends.

But above all you will be careful not to be too critical no matter what shortcomings you find lest you are barred in future from the lotus eater’s paradise that is a motorcycling (and motoring) journalist’s lot in life.

Cynical, [em]moi?
[/em]

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Premium Member
In order to get a gig like this, joe, you have to be prepared to sell your soul.  
You will have to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous first-class (or at worst, business class) air travel to some exotic places, most often in Europe, such as sunny Spain or Sicily, or occasionally South Africa.

Five-star accommodation will be provided, if you are up to accepting it, along with silver-service wining and dining and - for all I know – dancing girls will be at your command night and day.

Tedious briefings from the manufacturer’s technical and marketing reps will have to be endured before you are handed the keys to the machinery – then off you go.

Trying to separate your true impressions from the hype handed you by the bike’s manufacturer, and filtering out the comments from fellow journos, who will always want to impress their peers with their own brand of knowledge, you will endeavour to draft some appropriate words on the long and tedious flight back home.

This chore will be eased considerably as you will have been supplied with a thick, comprehensive press kit containing many useful words and phrases, as well as heaps of action photographs.

Struggling to contain yourself, you may find it necessary to damn with faint praise some aspects of the machine in order to preserve some semblance of objectivity for your eventual readers. F’rinstance, you might find the bike has insufficient luggage tie-down points, or the speedo is a bit out, or the colour of the key fob offends.

But above all you will be careful not to be too critical no matter what shortcomings you find lest you are barred in future from the lotus eater’s paradise that is a motorcycling (and motoring) journalist’s lot in life.

Cynical, [em]moi?
[/em]

So I have to sell my soul... hmmmm... tempting.

tempting.... but mine is already accounted for  P-)

So I have to sell my soul... hmmmm... tempting.

2015 Red FJ 09
2013 WR250R - little boy blue - sold
2012 DL650 V Strom - sold
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

• Premium Member
I attended a few press intros back in my more enthusiastic days. As a matter of fact, my avatar photo was snapped during the BMW K1200RS North America press intro in 1997. This whole post was spot on.

The only thing I'd add is that your final scribblings will be filtered through an editor who must constantly remind you who truly pays the bills. Hint: it's not the subscribers.

this was posted some while ago...
This particular article was NOT posted some while ago.  I direct your attention to the top of the piece which indicates a date of May 24 2016.

May I direct your attention to @ridebmx's post in the following thread on 5/26/2016 please.

http://fj-09.org/thread/1225/new-review
Its all good though. This article deserves its own thread.

This particular article was NOT posted some while ago.  I direct your attention to the top of the piece which indicates a date of May 24 2016.
May I direct your attention to @ridebmx 's post in the following thread on 5/26/2016 please.

This will seem like nit picking and it probably is but the post you reference was dated May 26 and mine was May 31 - a difference of 5 days.  In my mind that was not "some time ago."  In any case most people probably did not see the May 26 post as it was buried in another thread. 

May I direct your attention to @ridebmx 's post in the following thread on 5/26/2016 please. 
This will seem like nit picking and it probably is but the post you reference was dated May 26 and mine was May 31 - a difference of 5 days.  In my mind that was not "some time ago."  In any case most people probably did not see the May 26 post as it was buried in another thread.
Like I said, it's all good. This article deserves its own thread. Thank you for posting it.

Archived