Recommended Upgrades

Hey guys, I got a new 2015 FJ-09 a few weeks ago and I was curious to know what people think should be upgraded or changed on the bike.  I plan on getting a new custom seat and adding the heated grips, but other than that I'm not sure what I would change.  Any recommendations for any exhausts or any other upgrades would be appreciated.  I'm new to riding so I'm sure I won't upgrade anything for a few months, but I would like to know what I should keep an eye out for in case I find a good deal on something.  Thanks!

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey guys, I got a new 2015 FJ-09 a few weeks ago and I was curious to know what people think should be upgraded or changed on the bike.  I plan on getting a new custom seat and adding the heated grips, but other than that I'm not sure what I would change.  Any recommendations for any exhausts or any other upgrades would be appreciated.  I'm new to riding so I'm sure I won't upgrade anything for a few months, but I would like to know what I should keep an eye out for in case I find a good deal on something.  Thanks!
The most important thing I read in the above was "I'm new to riding...". Spend your money on the best protective riding gear you can find, and a good skills instructional class such as "Stayin' Safe". Always, without fail, wear your riding gear. If it's too hot to wear it, take the car. A couple thousand dollars of riding gear is nothing compared to the medical bills and physical pain from a crash.

You'll know what bike goodies you'll want after many thousands of miles experience. With the exception of a seat, most accessories are just that; accessories.
Keep Asheville weird!

I have purchased middle of the line protective gear I would need for now.  I may end up buying a mesh jacket at some point for warmer days.  I have taken a basic safety course already and intend on at taking a more advanced course in the near future.  I don't need anything to make the bike faster or what not, just looking for things that people would recommend changing in the future. Thank you for the input though!

• Premium Member
What kind of riding will you be doing? If it's just a work commuter or if you'll just be occasionally riding with friends, I'd say just replace the seat. I went with Corbin, and I couldn't be happier.

My rides are typically 200+ miles. If you'll be touring, I recommend the SHAD 36 cases. They are wider than Yamaha's cases, but unless you plan on lane splitting, that won't be an issue. They cost less and carry more. I'm short (5'7") and have alligator arms, so I needed bar risers to sit more upright. I went with 2" Rox anti-vibration risers. They cut the vibration in the bars by at least 80%. Being as short as I am, the stock wind screen works fine for me.

I'm going to agree with bentaero here: ALWAYS wear your gear. This is a lot of bike for a new rider.

The most important thing I read in the above was "I'm new to riding...". Spend your money on the best protective riding gear you can find, and a good skills instructional class such as "Stayin' Safe". Always, without fail, wear your riding gear. If it's too hot to wear it, take the car. A couple thousand dollars of riding gear is nothing compared to the medical bills and physical pain from a crash.

You'll know what bike goodies you'll want after many thousands of miles experience. With the exception of a seat, most accessories are just that; accessories.

idd say:
1- ecu flash to get rid of jerky throttle
2- suspension if u feel like spending

• Premium Member
1 - ECU Flash
2 - Mirror Extenders
3 - New Seat
4 - New windshield
5 - Make sure your oil drain plug isn't the low point on your bike
6 - The rest is up to you.......

1 - ECU Flash 2 - Mirror Extenders
3 - New Seat
4 - New windshield
And if you put some real suspension on the bike, #5 becomes a non-issue, and also cures the high speed death wobble. Truly a win-win-win.
Keep Asheville weird!

• Premium Member
1 - ECU Flash 2 - Mirror Extenders
3 - New Seat
4 - New windshield
...#6 makes it sound like 1-5 are mandatory...  :D
Sorry, nothing is mandatory, and many will argue with my suggestions. These are my opinions only, your mileage may vary.....

I have a long list at http://fj-09.org/post/39116/thread
but I think these are the most important:

Windscreen
Seat
Mirror extenders

A radiator guard would be next after those for me.
ECU flash, suspension and exhaust are low priority for me. (The stock ECU is smooth as silk here, probably because there's no USA emissions compromises)

I have two windscreens, the stock one with a Givi deflector (no buffeting and wind blast on the neck, which is OK), and a Givi touring with an X-creen sport spoiler (quiet and calm).

• Premium Member
I have a long list at http://fj-09.org/post/39116/thread but I think these are the most important:

I have two windscreens, the stock one with a Givi deflector (no buffeting and wind blast on the neck, which is OK), and a Givi touring with an X-creen sport spoiler (quiet and calm).

Pictures????? I'm looking to up my windscreen game.....

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

• Premium Member
I have a long list at http://fj-09.org/post/39116/thread but I think these are the most important:

Pictures????? I'm looking to up my windscreen game.....

Madstad.....DEFINITELY!! Just got back from a 2000 mile trip, 40 to 105 Fahrenheit, through rain part of the way, and it is just solid.  

• Premium Member
Cool! Thanks for the posts. I hadn't even really thought of getting mirror extenders. I've got a few ideas for windscreens and seats, now it's time to convince the wife to let me do it.
It is always easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.....45 years married to the same babe.... 

Archived