Best bags

Been trying to do a little research on what type of bags I should put on my fj. Does anyone have any input on which bags have a lot of room and are nice looking? And also do I need any other brackets for them other than the one that comes on it?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member
I went with the Shad 36s, as they hold a full-face helmet and employ the streamlined 3P mounting system that looks better when the bags are off the bike.
Really high quality products and cheaper than the factory bags (about $1K CDN, all in, if memory serves). Better looking, too, IMO.

FJ09_SHAD_CASES.gif

• Premium Member
Honestly, I really like the OE saddlebags. Waterproof. The latch on the right one is a little wonky (lots of people have said this), but it does seem to ultimately do the job. Easy on/easy off. The brackets disappear when the bags aren't installed. And it might be in my head, but I thought it handled a little better with the big, heavy cross brace bracket installed.

The only problem is that it can't fit a full face helmet. It certainly fits everything else. You could get the FJR bags for about the same price if you needed to fit a full face helmet.

• Premium Member
The Shads bags are on my wish list, they can hold a full size helmet, and provide a 3rd cylinder in case you purchase a top case down the road. Look good too.....

• Premium Member
7a179d67b18092f8d2bb02b4be1a0119.jpg
I bought my FJ used, only 1755 miles, with color matching FJR bags. I put a lot of miles on an FJR so know the bags. They are great and IMHO look really good. One of my other bikes is a Super Tenere with top loading Trax bags... I really like the top loading bags on the road better. So your question was part of each... color matching FJR bag = looks best on the FJ... function best don't care black on the Super Tenere work best.
Hope that helps. ??

Brick
2015 Yamaha FJ-09 "Red Molly"
2014 Yamaha Super Tenere' ES
1999 Suzuki SV650

• Premium Member
lots of info here about bags http://fj-09.org/thread/888/pannier-options-uk-market

my Kappa K40 thread http://fj-09.org/thread/1400/kappa-k40n-side-cases - bloody wide so only used for trips where stuff other than clothing is needed or souvenirs brought back

small side cases, big topbox http://fj-09.org/post/25953 - I have the E21 as well, I use them with a topbox for shorter trips
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

7a179d67b18092f8d2bb02b4be1a0119.jpg I bought my FJ used, only 1755 miles, with color matching FJR bags. I put a lot of miles on an FJR so know the bags. They are great and IMHO look really good. One of my other bikes is a Super Tenere with top loading Trax bags... I really like the top loading bags on the road better. So your question was part of each... color matching FJR bag = looks best on the FJ... function best don't care black on the Super Tenere work best.
Hope that helps. ??

Wow I'm liking the fjr bags

I went with the Shad 36s, as they hold a full-face helmet and employ the streamlined 3P mounting system that looks better when the bags are off the bike. Really high quality products and cheaper than the factory bags (about $1K CDN, all in, if memory serves). Better looking, too, IMO.

FJ09_SHAD_CASES.gif

I'll check those out thanks.

• Premium Member
It has the top bracket for bags. Does it need a bottom one to?
If you mean the Shad, no need for a bottom bracket. It bolts on in three places, two just below the rear seat (bolted to the frame), and one near the passenger footpegs. 

Follow suit with Clint and Brick, I cast my vote for the FJR bags.  Easiest to install, since the FJ comes with 1/2 the mounting system and it only cost $80-90 to complete the system.  The system has been used for 15 years and works, especially when using the inner bags.  You can also pick up used FJR bags in the range of $250-500, which is about 1/4 to 1/2 the cost new and less than any other system.  Need to join an FJR forum to get uptodate 4sale info.

Picked these 07 FJR bags up for $150 but had to paint them.  First I painted them the blue color of my FJR.  The paint cost around $60, but allowed me to be creative.  Then I [/url]vinyl wrapped in carbon fiber with red wrap.  Then I got rid of the carbon wrap and painted to match the fender but left the red.  Then added pin stripping to cover the shrinkage of the wrap which exposed the blue.  Then a deer wiped them out.  Got dark grey metalic ones next.  The red ones were off a friends FJR.

JD3hlK7.jpg

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

I use the Givi E41 Keyless Bags. My favorite feature is having the built in combo lock to fold out the top portion of the bag, for quick, easy, on the go access. They also open up clam-shell style. I ordered them from Italy, and even after shipping, they came out to about half the price as buying new here in the states. I also have the bag liners which are very nice and convenient. They fit my full face helmet. They're sometimes more than I really need as far as space goes, and I do wish I had gotten something a tad smaller. But they come in handy when on a multi day camping trip. This is where I bought them from: https://www.motorama.it/en/givi-couple-suitcases-P1930.htm
 j2NLjgi.jpg
WcgNrIX.jpg

Guest autobiker
I've got used FJR bags painted to match my bike. They cost slightly less than a new pair of SH36 bags and look better IMHO. The mounts are as unobtrusive as they can get.

67c3e21889976b63334bcc9d38c6458c.jpg

Archived