Yoshimura Y- Series Exhaust for the FJ-09

2whltuner

Ok, sounds good. Ordered the Yoshimura Y-Series! It is on the way :) I will get my torque wrench ready and look for the values. I have a rear stand I bought and used with my Honda CB500F, I will see if it works with the FJ. I have a friend or two who can lend me a helping hand.

I will be installing the exhaust with less than 2000 km (1250 miles)...Should I use new gaskets?
2017 FJ-09 - Yoshimura Y-series Exhaust / MRA Sport Screen / Evotech Rad Guard & Fork Sliders / Custom LED Rear Tail Light / Lowering Links / Mirror Extenders / Low Seat / Tail Tidy / Shogun Swingarm Sliders - Touring mods > Madstad 20" screen (on standby) / SHAD SH36 Hard Cases / SW-Motech Rear Alu-rack - Mods not yet installed > Fender Extender - Mods on the way > MT09 Adventure Pegs / Sargent seats / Knuckle Guard leds / Speedtech Photon Flush Mount LED signals / SW Motech Frame Sliders

Ok, thanks.
2017 FJ-09 - Yoshimura Y-series Exhaust / MRA Sport Screen / Evotech Rad Guard & Fork Sliders / Custom LED Rear Tail Light / Lowering Links / Mirror Extenders / Low Seat / Tail Tidy / Shogun Swingarm Sliders - Touring mods > Madstad 20" screen (on standby) / SHAD SH36 Hard Cases / SW-Motech Rear Alu-rack - Mods not yet installed > Fender Extender - Mods on the way > MT09 Adventure Pegs / Sargent seats / Knuckle Guard leds / Speedtech Photon Flush Mount LED signals / SW Motech Frame Sliders

• 2 weeks later...
The Yoshimura exhaust is at the Post Office waiting patiently for me smiley.png If I have at least one friend, a torque wrench and a wide open garage, how much time should it take to remove the oem and install the Yosh?

P.S. I asked a few of you owners some questions in messages. I guess I could have asked here.

Fair enough. So 14 LBS/FT or 20 NM is good for the exhaust header bolts?

Should I use new gaskets?
always. They are crush washers and by definition are single-use only. You don't replace them because of mileage (or lack) but because when you install it indents the mating surface and you're not going to exactly match up the new exhaust to the previous indentations. 
It's a trifling amount ($13?) so having shelled out $6-800 for an exhaust it's just beyond silly not to do the job completely and correctly. If you want to save money, skip the next 3 Starbucks coffees and you're back to break-even.

Yes, the manual calls for replacement and can't fault anybody for following that policy. Replaced mine because they needed replacing. But have also inspected and reused. Will continue to use my judgment on certain items a mfg might declare single use. Will also ignore the shift points in the manual, the chain slack spec, and some of the wild and whacky errata found in manuals over these many years :)

My contribution to the Yoshimura exhaust thread. Figured I have asked enough questions, it's time to contribute something. Yeah, I know it's not the lastest news, but it's experience just the same. Here is the beast being slid into my trunk. it arrived here in Pickering, a burb of Toronto, all the way from BC via Canada Post in less than a week. Gotta hand it to Canada Post, they ain't no slouch. I love picking up a Yoshimura exhaust from the Shoppers Drug Mart Post Office...lol.

Yosh_in_trunk-fj09forum.jpg

Crazy_spray_foamed_Yosh-fj09_forum.jpg

Yosh_awaiting_install-fj09forum.jpg

My best weight of 3 tries with a bathroom scale reports 12.6 LBS. Going to pick up three exhaust manifold gaskets on my way home from work today and set aside the few tools I need including torque wrench, then clear space in the garage. Hopefully with a friend this should be short work. I don't have any mineral spirits so I may just wipe it down with a cloth damp with iosopropyl alcohol before throwing it on the bike and starting it up. I will try to take a video of the exhaust in action after install.

spray the current studs/nuts with penetrating oil and leave overnight. It's not uncommon for them to corrode and end up coming out of teh engine block instead of the nuts coming off.

I will give a spray if I can find some. My FJ is less than 1600 km in and barely 7 months old stored in my garage over winter.

spray the current studs/nuts with penetrating oil and leave overnight. It's not uncommon for them to corrode and end up coming out of teh engine block instead of the nuts coming off.
I will give a spray if I can find some. My FJ is less than 1600 km in and barely 7 months old stored in my garage over winter.
I think this is good advice, but wasn't required for my install (Akropovic)... some advice I have is, dont over torque the nuts onto the stud.. they will bend.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA