In the market

Howdy all, soon to be FJ owner hopefully, and after getting a pop up saying I'd looked at 30 some threads, figured I'd ask for advice. I'm living in So Cal and currently commute 500 miles a week for school. I just sold my 2012 Tiger 800, and while I love the triple, I still wasn't in love with that particular bike after nearly 10k miles. I had been looking for an FJ when my cousin talked me into the Tiger. So now I'm back to looking at the FJ. 

There's a couple options in my price range. Option 1 is a 2015 with 10k on the odometer, new rubber, fender eliminator, flush front signals, Higdonion cage, and a SW Motech Trax top box. I believe it's had two owners. Oh, and it is the Red one, which from lurking I understand its top speed is about 1000 mph. 

Option two is 2016 with a Givi top box, and new rear rubber  (says he hit a nail). It's only got 4500 miles on, and is claimed to have been a commuter that is being replaced by a company vehicle. I have a better gut feeling about this one. 

Price is similar for both. What say the experts? Only extras I care about are top box and heated grips, which would need to be added to either. I'm leaning 2016, even if it is silver and the Givi box (not adv style) looks like my Grandmas suitcase. 

ETA: 2016 has a Sargent seat. No experience with those. I'm 6'3", so I wouldn't want it to be lower. 

If you're commuting that many miles you'll probably want a windscreen that is better than stock, so budget for that right away.

Does either bike have service records? How about a Y.E.S. warranty which may be transferable to you?

I'm not sure your budget, but there are still leftover 2015's out there for under $8K new.

The cage one is the one i would choose, nice piece of mind when parked at school and helps keep the engine protected, i would rather live with a busted fairing and a scuffed cage to get me home at least...
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

If you're commuting that many miles you'll probably want a windscreen that is better than stock, so budget for that right away. 
Does either bike have service records? How about a Y.E.S. warranty which may be transferable to you?

I'm not sure your budget, but there are still leftover 2015's out there for under $8K new.

The Tiger windscreen was pretty worthless, and the CB500X I had before that was worse. I just put them at the lowest setting so my head is full in the wind, and no buffeting. It's "fun". 

Not sure on records or warranties. I've just started contacting the owners, so I'll see what I can find out. 

I'd like to stay around 8K for a budget, and there are some dealers showing that price. Everyone I've talked to usually comes back with 2-3k in fees on top, most of which I can talk them out of, but then I've still got to get a top box. 

The cage one is the one i would choose, nice piece of mind when parked at school and helps keep the engine protected, i would rather live with a busted fairing and a scuffed cage to get me home at least...
It does look like a well built piece, and my tendency to be less than gentlemanly with machines of any kind would probably benefit from it. Private sale vehicles with low miles and multiple previous owners make me a little nervous. I'll run a VIN check, but...

Option 2. Until last December I commuted many miles to school and work like you. I finally put a top case and and it was the best decision I ever made. An included Givi topcase is great.

That being said, also price check for brand new '15s that are still available. I picked mine up for the price of a used one.

'15 FJ09

• Premium Member
You'll definitely want a new windshield if wind is an issue. I'm 5'10" and I simply removed mine to avoid buffeting and I'm comfy without it, but I'm also used to nakeds and standards without wind protection.

I find my butt complains a little after about the 200 mile in a single ride mark, but shifting my weight resolves it. That's with a stock seat.

The engine is wonderful! I do like to ride hard and a little sporty and don't do much commuting, so I'll be getting suspension work done soon. If you're commuting and normal road riding, it's great. I don't think the suspension is as terrible as some report, and for normal road use, I find it to be adequate.

I've already put 1600 miles on it this year (1400 in the last month) and that's just weekend rides without commuting. I think it's obvious I love the bike. It's a 2015 in the color that obviously goes to plaid with ease. Just a note, I test drove and almost purchased a Tiger 800 last fall, but the price point on this one was too good to pass up as a leftover model.

Not sure what those 2 bikes are priced at, but I'd lean towards the '16 with less mileage. Sounds like you will rack up some miles in a hurry. If the Sargent seat doesn't work for you, sell it.

As mentioned, check out some prices on the new, non-current FJ's & any current incentives.

Well, got sidetracked and didn't get around to asking about service records today. I'll try and find out tomorrow. I have talked to the owner of the 15 a handful of times. A couple emails about the 16, but he's a bit slower to respond. Hopefully I can go look at both this weekend.

I've started looking at dealer inventories for leftover stock, and there aren't a whole lot of 15s, but there are a lot of 16s for about 8k which is less than the 15s I've found. I might make a couple calls and see if anyone is willing to forgo their their 20 million dealer fees.

I commute roughly 250 miles a week with mine, I currently have about 17,500 on the ODO with no major issues (knock on wood). It's a fantastic commuter, and tons of grunt to ninja your way through the heavy traffic. I will say the shortcomings of the bike are:

1. Windscreen sucks. A 160 mile road trip solidified my decision on that, though I have yet to do anything about it lol8.gif  I keep it in the lowest position to limit buffeting.
2. The suspension is fine for commuting but you can really tell it's not sprung for anybody bigger than 150lbs. I've dialed mine in to about as good as it can go but this beastly 260lb guy finds it's limits rather quick in the canyons. 
3. Speed limiter restricts any wide open flat out runs. Not a problem for commuting but on a big enough track you'll find the 115mph limit real quick, it also reduces power in 4th and above in wide open conditions. 
4. The clutch cable on mine broke after 7000 miles, make sure you keep that cable lubed up pretty good, there is a kink in the line right after it exits the hand lever so try to flatten that kink out as best you can. 
5. You might want to look into a radiator guard. 

Aside from that, it's a great bike. I ride around town mostly in 5th and 6th and it's got so much torque that I just roll on the gas to speed up. Flick it into A mode every now and then and be prepared to smile  :D

I am 6'1" and ~230 The Sargent seat is by far my favorite mod so far. Top case will be nice for commuting. Budget for a windscreen the stock one was miserable for me and I would imagine worse for you. For even money I would buy the 16. If there is $700 or more difference I would buy the 15.

Okay, so I heard back on the 16. Original owner, full service records, and the guy is a motorcycle police officer, which makes me happy, because he's probably a responsible person. I was going to try to look at it today, but educational obligations came flying out of nowhere.

My cousin lives 5 minutes from the guy with the 15. He went and checked it out last night for me. Took two tries to start, chain hadn't seen lube in a while, and he described the shifting as "clunky". Not just from neutral to first, but also from 1-2 and back 2-1, though not as bad. Also remarked on how dirty it was. The guy bought it with 8300 miles and it's a touch over 10k now, and it sounds like he's probably done zero routine maintenance.

Also got PM here from somebody in the area, and we'll chat later.

The difference in price between the 15 and 16 is 300 dollars. I was going to try and keep 300 aside for heated grips, but since it's 80 degrees right now, I think I can put that towards the 16. Hopefully I'll get to actually go see it tomorrow or this weekend.

A "new" 16 comes with a one year factory warranty.
And you get a brand new bike, with nobody else to blame for any issues but Yamaha. (And it would be covered under warranty.)

In my worthless view, if you can get a new "last year" model off the floor at a dealership within 500.00 of the price of used ones? That's money well spent.

There are tons of options for seats, bags, cases and bash bars/protection.

Another good thing about the 16 is it should have the forward oil drain nut, so you don't have to worry about that being broken over some large speed bump.
And the dealer should do the latest flash on the ECU. (Ask for it, they will give it up, it's "free" for them to do it.)

No guarantee on the oil drain bolt location on the '16.   That was a mid-year change.
I purchased a '16 that has it on the bottom, a local dealer has a later-build '16 with it in the front.
Not a deal-breaker for the earlier models, just pick your choice of a low-profile drain bolt and grind off the aluminum boss in front of the drain plug location. I'm going with a Yamaha R1 drain bolt.

Archived