PL14612 oil filters, BEWARE

Why don't you just use the factory oil filter? Won't have any problems with it.
I have never understood this either. The oil filter is a critical component of the bike, why cheap out on something that won't fit just to save a few bucks? The filters aren't expensive by far, I paid a whole $11 for my last filter from the dealer. The money savings is in doing the oil change myself using factory oils and a factory filter. 

Why buy a ~$12,000 motorcycle but then pay pocket change for a filter. 

• Premium Member
So far K&N is found cheapest on AMAZON.  I did find the filter listed at Wal-Mart for the same price but they never have it in stock. Work-around....Advance Auto parts will price match Wal-Mart and get you a filter for around $9.00.   Gotta agree with @builderbob, the 17MM makes it really nice and quick!

Check out Calsci. Oil filter info.  ( Mark Lawrence ) a lot of good info on the oil filter subject. I have more than 1 bike and all the info was very helpful. Now I can get adaptors for my Suzuki's and use the same filters on everything.

15J09-05FJR1300-07DL1000-16GSX1000S

• Premium Member
Why don't you just use the factory oil filter? Won't have any problems with it.
There's a lot of info about oil filters online but basically a lot of us have been using the Purolator Pure One filters because they have better quality components than most others, including some OEM filters. The OEM filter wasn't actually made by Yamaha, they sourced it from a supplier (Purolator? Fram? Bosch? Only Yamaha knows). The fact that the Purolator is cheaper than OEM was just icing on the cake.

Plus, in my case the nearest Yamaha dealer is 30 miles away, whereas Purolator filters are sold at 5-10 stores within a mile of my house.

This fit problem is a recent development however. It's unfortunate.

Archived