Best Tent for motorcycle trip

Almost any backpacking tent will do. They pack small and are light enough you won't have to worry about it. Various outdoorsy clearance sites will have deals ( http://www.sierratradingpost.com/tents~d~228/ ), or check out an REI Garage Sale near you for a really cheap tent. Just make sure you confirm it has all the parts before buying it at the garage sale! They'll let you build it right there.

If you have weather to watch out for, like rain or cold, you might need something more specific. My knockoff cheapo two person backpacking tent has lasted for over five years, spanning dozens of campouts, without splitting a seam. Well worth the ~$75, especially compared to the $200-300 you can spend if you walk into REI and pay full retail price.

EDIT: Just googled the Redverz, this thing does indeed look very badass!  https://redverz.com/motorcycle-tents/atacama-green/

• Premium Member
Which ever tent you get make sure you buy the seam sealer. Set Up tent and apply sealer to seams and let dry well. Stuff smells so make sure you do way in advance of your trip. Camping stores has the stuff.
A Motorcyclist's Church is the open road....

That Redverz tent does look awesome, but $599.00 is bit pricey for me.. I guess it's not bad if you go camping a lot though.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• Premium Member
I don't get it. Why are we putting the bikes that we just rode all day in the rain in a tent?

Both of my bikes are in the garage for long term parking. I understand the use of covers for long term protection when you have no other way to protect them.

While on a long trip (2-3 weeks) I will clean (wipe down) my bike when I can and feel up to it, every couple days is what it works out to.

I use a nelson-rig half cover which cost $30 or so....

20160425_185542_zpswtuaaqc0.jpg

Each to their own and whatever works for you is fine with me... I just don't understand it...

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

Caveat: my camping is usually at a rally destination, so I'm often setting up for 3-5 nights. I rarely tent camp just overnight.

For years I used a 2 person tent, and finally got tired of the lack of space. I found a cheap Coleman 4 person at Costco for $60 and it's been going strong for 7 or 8 years now. I don't know who decides what makes a tent a '2 person' or '4 person', but I do know you'd better be pretty friendly with someone if you're going to overnight in a 2 person tent with them...

I like the room of a 4 person tent, so I can get all my gear inside, and still have room to move around. I can even set my camp chair inside if it's crappy out. You can also get dressed without having to do a contortionist impression, and you're not constantly knocking your head against the tent. And you can get nice tents in this size for not a whole lot of $$.  Mine's seen tons of rain, freezing temps at 10k feet altitude, and 100+ deg summers.  Never had a complaint.

Some things I've found I really want: cross-flow ventillation (hugely important in summer), some sort of vestibule or covered entry to leave wet gear outside, but under cover. Also keeps the inside from getting wet when raining.

I don't worry too much about size or weight, but I don't have a pillion when tent camping on the bike, so I've got plenty of room. Bike loaded up with the above tent, folding chair and stuff for a 4 state run week long run including a BMW rally:

DSC_9376_zps3ksx5h0d.jpg

The tent is the light gray bag, chair is the black bag, and the green bag is my sleeping pad.  Folding cooler under the red duffel.

I really like the Redverz, but doubt I'll ever buy one at the price. And they don't have good ventillation, IMHO.

For the bike, I have a small Nelson-Rigg cover. Keeps the weather of the tankbag, and eyes off the farkles when parked overnight... ;)

Edit:  found a pic of my cheapo tent from 2009... with my folding chair (walmart cheapo) and folding rally cooler:

DSCN0031_zpsj3zb2ef8.jpg

Some general advice, rather than a specific tent.

Backpacking tents tend to be light in construction as weight is the major factor when you have to carry it. In contrast, your bike can easily cope with an extra kilo to get a more robust tent. Also, when I hike I tend to spend very little time in a tent so I don't mind a low headroom, again, to lighten the weight I have to carry. But I have a higher headroom tent for the bike.

A final factor I found important was a big porch to leave wet jackets and boots in.

So, if you already have a backpacking tent, then take it as it will cope just fine. But, if you're looking for a new tent for 2 people to use on your bike, buy one for 3 people, with a good sized porch and headroom.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

I don't get it. Why are we putting the bikes that we just rode all day in the rain in a tent? 
Both of my bikes are in the garage for long term parking. I understand the use of covers for long term protection when you have no other way to protect them.

While on a long trip (2-3 weeks) I will clean (wipe down) my bike when I can and feel up to it, every couple days is what it works out to.

I use a nelson-rig half cover which cost $30 or so....

20160425_185542_zpswtuaaqc0.jpg

Each to their own and whatever works for you is fine with me... I just don't understand it...

Cause I dont want no Grizzly riding away on my bike while I'm sleepin!

I'd love to do this, or more pertinently, have the weather to do it.

8_A018765_2_A64_40_FF_AA61_288_A9_D027_CD8_4779_000006.jpg

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

Archived