Help- some advice buying a 15 leftover

Hey guys- so it looks like the FJ-09 is the do it all superbike to meet my needs ;) I think the red ones look pretty sharp and, based on experience, are much faster.
There's a dealer with one on the floor he wants to get rid of. The price is $8,799. from what I've gathered here, I would want him to flash the ECM with the new map. How about recommendations on price? I will not be going there for service (a bit too far), so good will is not a factor. I thought that trying to wrangle a wholesale price for bags might be worthwhile. I haven't read enough to figure out if I really want the factory Yamaha bags or if people tend to prefer something else. I tend to be a terrible negotiator.
I would love to get it from my local dealer- but they don't have one in stock. I'm also fine with buying a used bike with added equipment, but the price of a 15 leftover is at or below the used bikes.
Your thoughts?
"Who's the cat who won't cop out, when there's danger all about?" -Isaac Hayes

@boatdetective is that an "out the door" price?

I would definitely try to negotiate some accessories. The Yamaha bags are very good quality, just expensive. So if you can get a deal on them at the time of purchase, that might be the way to go.

If you live in an area where you lane split the "city" bags might be a good choice, but a lot of forum member prefer the FJR bags for the added capacity.

Also, try to get the Yamaha heated grips included with the purchase, they are awesome!

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• Premium Member
$8,200 + tax & lic and the FSM but not set-up here OTD for a new Red 15.

Have Vcyclenut do the flash, get a screen, Sargent Shad SH36 side cases and SH46 top case (and mounts), and ride it like you stole it.

The FZ-10 is very nice but not with 30 mpg and another $4,500!

• Supporting Member
Check Cycletrader.com for prices from several dealers in your state just for a comparison. I went into my local dealer with prices from several other shops and told them that I didn't mind driving to get a better price, and asked if they could come close to the other prices I found. We worked out a deal and they negotiated with another shop to trade inventory to get the color I wanted.
You cant really negotiate tax, title, and licence too much but when they write up the sales sheet, write down YOUR final price at the bottom and tell them to adjust the other numbers to make that figure work.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
Hey guys- so it looks like the FJ-09 is the do it all superbike to meet my needs ;) I think the red ones look pretty sharp and, based on experience, are much faster. There's a dealer with one on the floor he wants to get rid of. The price is $8,799. from what I've gathered here, I would want him to flash the ECM with the new map. How about recommendations on price? I will not be going there for service (a bit too far), so good will is not a factor. I thought that trying to wrangle a wholesale price for bags might be worthwhile. I haven't read enough to figure out if I really want the factory Yamaha bags or if people tend to prefer something else. I tend to be a terrible negotiator.
I would love to get it from my local dealer- but they don't have one in stock. I'm also fine with buying a used bike with added equipment, but the price of a 15 leftover is at or below the used bikes.
Your thoughts?
My 2cents, worth everything you paid for it: 
1) I'd send the ECU to Nels at 2WheelDyno and have them flash it, you can specify what settings you want, rather than taking what Yamaha gives you
2) Skip the Yamaha bags, they won't carry a full size helmet. If you can get them to give you a deal on the Shad's, take those.
3) As for price, I'd search the forum, I seem to remember the 15's selling for low 8K, you probably have a bit of room to negotiate
4) Make sure you know the odometer setting before heading out to pick it up, don't want any surprises
5) Make sure the Oil pan is the new one, where the drain plug is not the low point on the bike - or make him fix it before the sale
6) You will want a new windscreen, but that is a personal decision, and the dealer won't/can't help with that.

Hope this helps, and enjoy the new bike.........

Let us know what you ended up with and the price, for the next person who is buying......

I paid $8k even for a new 2015 in February of last year. You should be able to get a better deal than that on a remaining new 2015 a year later. Mine was $8,392 OTD including tax. Added the heated grips, SHAD side bags, Madstad windshield, larger Tenere pegs, and Higdonion cage. I now have what I feel is a perfect road/light adventure bike for under $10k total.

I have to wonder why brand-new '015 models are still available. Did the dealer over-stock, or have sales stalled for some reason?   Excellent price, though...

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Premium Member
I have to wonder why brand-new '015 models are still available. Did the dealer over-stock, or have sales stalled for some reason?   Excellent price, though...
perhaps it was tied up in a dealer that was not trading for a while, part of an estate or liquidation stock?

If the OP keeps procrastinating over the last few $ then someone else is going to buy it :) 

Anyway, where have you been hiding since last winter (August 2016)?

This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

My local dealer ordered 2 FJ09's in 2015 after the positive reviews when the bike was released.  Until October 2016, he still had both.  Overall, I think bike sales are down, and as much as we love our FJ's they might not be as popular as we believe.  When I see other bikes on the road, the majority are cruisers.

My dealer told me that the Sport Tourers just aren't that popular in this area.  It's all cruisers and Harleys.  They had an FJR ES model on their showroom floor for well over a year.  It just sold last week.  Another dealer has had a Super Tenere ES on their floor also for more than a year.  I plan on test riding that once the weather breaks.  I've owned my FJ since Oct. 2015 and I've only seen one other one on the road since then.  People just don't know what they're missing.  That's fine with me, it keeps the price down.
Brad
Selbyville, DE

I paid $9200 for mine, 1 mile on the clock, that was on the road, all taxes fees etc. It actually wasn't the best offer, I was offered $8900 but I preferred the place I bought from and I liked the sales rep.
I modified the pan myself, flush plug and removed the Fin.

I have no regrets?

Archived