First Review of my FJ09

Hi All,
Before I bought my FJ09, I had my eye on at least two or three different bikes.
Including Indian, Ducati Diavel X, GS, R1200RT.
In the end though, I took a long hard look at what I was going to use it for 90% of the time, in an ideal world, I'd have em all? Sadly that's not my world.
In the end I paid $9000 otr for my FJ09.
The average cost of the other bikes was around $22000.
I actually love the FJ09, it is comfortable, the engine is amazing, yes there are glitches and things I wish it had/didn't have, that said, do I feel like I'm having $13000 less fun, $13000 less excitement or comfort or speed or scenery or functionality ? An emphatic NO!
It was a sensible decision that I don't regret for a second.
Any Thoughts?

• Premium Member
The FJ09 is a great value. I'd say 2nd. Would be the Versys 650 or 1000. I love my FJ09. I've put allot of accessories on mine. If there is anything I would change it would be to offer cruise control. 2nd. A package version that had all the upgrades. On the wish list also would be a final drive instead of a chain drive.
A Motorcyclist's Church is the open road....

• Supporting Member
@catrike16 - My short list wasn't quite as varied as yours, but ultimately I came to the same realization about what I would actually use a bike for 90% of the time.   In the end it was either the FJ-09 or a Ducati Hyperstrada, and I figured the FJ-09 was 85% of the bike for 60% of the money.  

Well, it turns out that with some strategic upgrades (suspension, tires, ECU) it's a lot more than 85% of the bike... I couldn't be happier with my FJ.

I'm not trying to squash this FJ love fest, but it's not going to be hard to get a lot of positive responses from those on this forum....  

Having said that, I agree!  I love it.

The FJ09 answered my want list perfectly and at a price point I gladly paid.   In fact I talked a buddy into buying the exact same bike.  Now we are "the twins" when we ride in the group.  Unintended consequences suck. 

Carry on!!!  

Cheers
Pat

Good choice on the bike! If you was looking at the diavel and still want to have a power cruiser I would suggest a gen 2 Yamaha vmax! I absolutely love my vmax for playing and messing with other sportbikes out there. I have my fj09 for small touring and commuting back and forth to work. I was surprised on how much fun that bike is as well. Love wheelies on it?

• Supporting Member
Well, it turns out that with some strategic upgrades (suspension, tires, ECU) it's a lot more than 85% of the bike... I couldn't be happier with my FJ.
You nailed it there.  I also HIGHLY recommend the factory heated grips and the MCCruise,  you quickly realize how fantastic they both are when you ride a buddy's bike without them. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
@catrike16 - My short list wasn't quite as varied as yours, but ultimately I came to the same realization about what I would actually use a bike for 90% of the time.   In the end it was either the FJ-09 or a Ducati Hyperstrada, and I figured the FJ-09 was 85% of the bike for 60% of the money.    

The Hyper sure seemed fun when I test-rode it. But it also seemed significantly less well-suited to highway commuting, touring, or carrying a pillion. I guess in the end, all these represented a big enough portion of my riding that they swing the balance.

And oh yeah, then there's maintenance...

MSRP is not as far off as folks make it out to be, esp when you take into consideration that the Hyper comes with bags. (Sort of. Soft bags don't make sense to me given the cities I park in!) And I'm guessing 2015 Hypers can be found at a good discount now, just like 2015 FJ-09s.

• Premium Member
I went to a Yamaha demo days last May (2016) with every intention of buying a XSR900. I love(d) the look of the bike, still do. But then I rode it and the adult in me, who was looking for a commuter bike, realized that the XSR900 would be a "no-go". It's a Sunday afternoon when it's sunny bike, IMHO. But there were other bikes to demo and I demo'd the FJ-09. Seemed weird sitting on it, coming from a Katana 750, but it was comfortable. Then I did the test ride. About mile 15 I fell in love with it. Went into the dealership and saw the 2015 FJ in all it's glorious red. The rest is history.

• Premium Member
I went to a Yamaha demo days last May (2016) with every intention of buying a XSR900. I love(d) the look of the bike, still do. But then I rode it and the adult in me, who was looking for a commuter bike, realized that the XSR900 would be a "no-go". It's a Sunday afternoon when it's sunny bike, IMHO. But there were other bikes to demo and I demo'd the FJ-09. Seemed weird sitting on it, coming from a Katana 750, but it was comfortable. Then I did the test ride. About mile 15 I fell in love with it. Went into the dealership and saw the 2015 FJ in all it's glorious red. The rest is history.
Very nice story, and similar to mine...I test rode the FZ-09 four times in 2015... I was like a groupie following that Yamaha trailer from dealer, to dealer. I then had a cooling off period, read stuff on the FJ over the winter... went to the bike show in the spring of 2016... and pulled then trigger at a very opportune time (awesome price and a desperate dealer)... without ever riding it! All I knew, is that it had a heart and the DNA of the FZ... plus TCS, ABS... and so much more.
The FZ-09 was also one of the bikes I demo'd.  I liked it, but not as much as the FJ.  

Congrats catrike16! 8-) I just picked up a new left over '15 FJ in gray. IMHO the FJ is a lot of value for the money. I test rode the FZ09 in 2014 and it was nice aside from the on-off fueling. However it was not nice enough to replace my '06 FZ1. When the FJ was introduced that was a game changer for me. Still it was hard to let the FZ1 go because I just like them. The FJ is that much more in the ergonomics department with nice street performance for day to day use. Enjoy your new ride!

The FJ09 is a great value. I'd say 2nd. Would be the Versys 650 or 1000. I love my FJ09. I've put allot of accessories on mine. If there is anything I would change it would be to offer cruise control. 2nd. A package version that had all the upgrades. On the wish list also would be a final drive instead of a chain drive.

Chain drive is a form of "final drive".

You mean shaft drive?

• Premium Member
Chain drive is a form of "final drive".

You mean shaft drive?

Yes, shaft drive.
A Motorcyclist's Church is the open road....

Archived