It’s time to allow lane-filtering in North America

I've been riding since I was 14, I'm now 61.  As far as lane splitting goes I am not a fan.  I believe the way things currently are make it a dangerous practice for several reasons.  One being aggravated car drivers who resent it and could possibly react to someone doing it.  With that said if the laws were changed to allow it I believe it could be a concept that would benefit all.  If car drivers were more aware based on the law allowing it I'd be more apt to do it.  I currently don't feel safe doing it because cagers aren't expecting it.  Personally I would prefer a dedicated "bike lane" for motorcycles only.  This would provide the benefits that are used to promote lane splitting and would remove any road rage factors caused by the practice.
You're never going to get the majority to favor spending tax dollars (and consuming space in congested urban areas) on a special lane only for motorcycles (which make up a relatively small portion of traffic on the road). The advantage of lane splitting/filtering, is that it can be done safely with our current road system. 
If you're worried about aggravated car drivers, I wouldn't say you're not a fan of splitting, but rather you think it would require a large driver education/awareness campaign to make it a safe an effective practice.

Lane splitting is a lesson on it's own on the UK advanced motorcyclist course. To pass the test you're expected to take advantage of opportunities to make "good progress" without breaking the speed limit, and filtering to the front of traffic lights, lane splitting in stationary or slow moving traffic, overtaking when there are changes of speed limit and you can out accelerate cars are all on the good to do list.

I do think it's either done badly here, by muppets who force their way around and piss off drivers, or well by riders who stay aware of the dangers of the manoeuvre. There isn't much in between.

Our roads are so crowded that if it was taken away, riding would lose some of its appeal. I feel sorry for those who ride in states where it's banned.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

I'm not sure I would use all the points in his video, but I'm trying to come around to the idea. Someone needs to make a VLOG showing people how bad they are at driving and using their phones. I think most people think they do it fine, when it reality they're all over the road.

Certainly I'm all for safer roads, and people are paying less and less attention. I think we need more roundabouts too. They're proven to be more efficient, and I LOVE CURVES!

...Someone needs to make a VLOG showing people how bad they are at driving and using their phones...

There are videos all over YouTube showing terrible drivers on phones

...I think we need more roundabouts too. They're proven to be more efficient, and I LOVE CURVES!

100% agree!

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

...Someone needs to make a VLOG showing people how bad they are at driving and using their phones...
There are videos all over YouTube showing terrible drivers on phones  

...I think we need more roundabouts too. They're proven to be more efficient, and I LOVE CURVES!
100% agree!

ROundabouts are awesome, they keep traffic flowing better than traffic lights. I grew up with them back east, but when they first started putting them in here in Idaho, people here were all confused and old ladies would just drive around 2-3 times all scared, lol.

• Premium Member
First I'm definitely in favor of this. However here in NASCAR county there are drivers who firmly believe that "This is MY road... how dare you pass me"! It's also the home of NASCAR corners = cut the corner even if it's across the double yellow! So that attitude carries over to city traffic! It's like taking your life in your hands!
... Education... we don't need none of that!!

I know... not all are that way but it only takes one to ruin your... life!

But if we don't start now we never will! Let's do it!

Brick
2015 Yamaha FJ-09 "Red Molly"
2014 Yamaha Super Tenere' ES
1999 Suzuki SV650

Educating the masses is how we'd get there. Just for fun I asked my GF about it and she gave me a typical answer like "it freaks me out when a motorcycle passes me on the highway and I don't see them , I don't want to hit them." Which is valid. I then explained the flow of traffic advantages and safety for riders ( being between two cars ). After that she was onboard with it. Seems to go that way with most people, until you find the stubborn "Well why should THEY GO FIRST" people.

First I'm definitely in favor of this. However here in NASCAR county there are drivers who firmly believe that "This is MY road... how dare you pass me"! It's also the home of NASCAR corners = cut the corner even if it's across the double yellow! So that attitude carries over to city traffic! It's like taking your life in your hands! ... Education... we don't need none of that!!

I know... not all are that way but it only takes one to ruin your... life!

But if we don't start now we never will! Let's do it!
"Education is important, but motorcycles is importanter." -author unknown. (or at least unwilling to become known)
Keep Asheville weird!

filtering has always been legal in the UK, but you will always encounter some one who tries to block your progress, and you will not convince these people that they are in the wrong, believe me i have tried, i have driven a car and rode a bike in the US and people seem to be more intolerant to other road users then even the UK, Boston and surrounding area comes to mind, as soon as some people climb in to their cars it's like a suit of armour and let battle commence. In Continental Europe blocking motorcycles is not such a problem, and in France it just does not happen, a French biker told me that blocking a bike is just not acceptable behaviour, even in countries in eastern Europe such as Roumania, Bulgaria were there is a Macho driving culture and every one wants to overtake to come out on top, if traffic is stopped or moving slowly people will actively move out of the way. As Motorcyclists i don't need to preach about paying attention to what is happening around you and riding accordingly, filtering is safe as long as you ride in a manner that you expect to have to react to unintentional and deliberately dangerous manoeuvres. I think what i'm trying to say is don't count on a change of law to change the driving culture in any particular country.

Archived