It’s time to allow lane-filtering in North America

• Premium Member
Great article by Daniel Fritter regarding lane-filtering, safety and motorcyclist here in BC and around the world.

I am seeing more and more stories about this and our local BCCOM (British Columbia Coalition Of Motorcyclists) has been hard at work this year lobbying our MP's to get their support for this much needed legislation.

The Province Article

Anyone with a brain can figure out that lane-filtering and splitting when done properly is a good idea for everyone. Unfortunately its going to be a big up-hill battle in most US states.

I suggest sharing this video with non-motorcyclists to help educate everyone:

[video src=https://youtu.be/sLKx0oW5iSI]

I like the idea of filtering but up here in Canada most of our roads are full of potholes (especially this time of year). If you're filtering and traffic starts moving and you are beside a car that desides to dodge a pothole you're gonna have a bad day.

I 100% support lane splitting/filtering. Its better for everyone on the road. Statistically it is no more dangerous and reduces the amount of rear end collisions where a car runs into the back of a motorcycle. It is not legal where I live, but I will do it from time to time but only at slow speeds when traffic is extremely backed up.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

I just worry about States in the first couple years of adopting lane filtering.

There are a ton of arsehole cagers on the road. These are the same pricks who drive slow, but punch the gas the moment that you safely try to pass them, and then drop down slow again a mile later, rinse and repeat.

People do stupid shet behind the wheel and if your state passes lane filtering, don't just assume those cars will leave you room or not open their door at a traffic light. Be safe.

Anyone with a brain can figure out that lane-filtering and splitting when done properly is a good idea for everyone. Unfortunately its going to be a big up-hill battle in most US states.  
I agree it will be an uphill battle, not just from a legal perspective, but educating cage drivers.  It seem more and more drivers are clueless about being courteous to other drivers, like hanging out in the left lane when not passing another vehicle, or texting an driving.

I'm not as thrilled about lane-splitting personally, however I do like and can get behind the lane-filtering side of things.
Seems like around me there are always 2 cars that get next to each other and they can never pass each other. They will drive for miles and miles and never allow traffic backing up behind them through. This is when splitting come in handy. 

Here is my .02. It works in CA.

And the rest of the world for the most part.

It will work in the USA, it's just a matter of education, and time.
Sure, there will be problems, and it will not cure all problems, and create some, but it fixes way more issues than it creates.

Even with douche bag drivers around here in Idaho. (And you think there are fewer of them in CA? Right.....)

• Premium Member

Even with douche bag drivers around here in Idaho. (And you think there are fewer of them in CA? Right.....)
I live in South Florida and I'll put our douche bag drivers up against anyone's anywhere. :P 
And I will filter when I can. Even though it's not legal here....

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

I've been riding since I was 14, I'm now 61.  As far as lane splitting goes I am not a fan.  I believe the way things currently are make it a dangerous practice for several reasons.  One being aggravated car drivers who resent it and could possibly react to someone doing it.  With that said if the laws were changed to allow it I believe it could be a concept that would benefit all.  If car drivers were more aware based on the law allowing it I'd be more apt to do it.  I currently don't feel safe doing it because cagers aren't expecting it.  Personally I would prefer a dedicated "bike lane" for motorcycles only.  This would provide the benefits that are used to promote lane splitting and would remove any road rage factors caused by the practice.
Brad
Selbyville, DE

As a former CA resident I firmly believe in lane sharing/filtering/splitting. However, as mentioned before the largest concern would be the acceptance by general population as they adapt to the new laws. Getting door'd or swerved into is not on my to do list.

'15 FJ09

I've been riding since I was 14, I'm now 61.  As far as lane splitting goes I am not a fan.  I believe the way things currently are make it a dangerous practice for several reasons.  One being aggravated car drivers who resent it and could possibly react to someone doing it.  With that said if the laws were changed to allow it I believe it could be a concept that would benefit all.  If car drivers were more aware based on the law allowing it I'd be more apt to do it.  I currently don't feel safe doing it because cagers aren't expecting it.  Personally I would prefer a dedicated "bike lane" for motorcycles only.  This would provide the benefits that are used to promote lane splitting and would remove any road rage factors caused by the practice.
This more-or-less sums up my view. 
If it were legalized, I sure as hell wouldn't be first in line to start doing it.  I can't see any way it would go smoothly.  Drivers not aware or looking.  Drivers that aren't aware it's legal deciding to block you.  Drivers that just flat don't like motorcycles and cut you off on purpose.  I'm just not in that much of a hurry.  Also, traffic isn't really that much of an issue anywhere I ride.  If I lived in or near what passes for a Big City in Maine (any one of the four of them... :) ) it might be more of an issue.  

Archived