Not-So Obvious Differences between an FJR 1300 and an FJ-09

@2and3cylinders I have heard great things about Vcyclenut and plan on using him. Did you use him? Also, I have read 1 (yes only 1) review that stated the throttle was almost too smooth even in A-mode? Can you confirm or deny? I ride exclusively in A-mode and have gotten to the point that I am able to be very smooth with it on the stock ECU flash. Not sure if I want to lose any of the hooligan present in A-mode.

Edit: I guess I should probably just email David about it..

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

@2and3cylinders I have heard great things about Vcyclenut and plan on using him. Did you use him? Also, I have read 1 (yes only 1) review that stated the throttle was almost too smooth even in A-mode? Can you confirm or deny? I ride exclusively in A-mode and have gotten to the point that I am able to be very smooth with it on the stock ECU flash. Not sure if I want to lose any of the hooligan present in A-mode. 
Edit: I guess I should probably just email David about it..
I for one can vouch for David's work. No, the flash will not turn the FJ into a scooter. I didn't find the stock throttle map/response particularly "exciting"... just needlessly twitchy and unrefined. 
The quick-turn option for the A-mode makes the bike pretty exiting in a hurry, but in a controlled way... so you can go hooligan anytime you feel like it. Love this mode on the freeway personally as it makes for a quick getaway from dodgy spots.

And if you like A mode so much, wouldn't it be nice if it started out in A?  David will do that for you as well.  He reflashed my ECU a couple of months ago and it has been a great improvement in all aspects.

• Premium Member
When I can stop riding my FJ for long enough (as I'm currently at the rate of about 2,000 miles per month), I will return the ECU to David for a quickening (not a Highlander thing) of all 3 modes; particularly A mode.  I'm used to sport bikes with significantly more torque if not also more horsepower and have thus have very refined right wrist control.

David said to me the following in response to me asking if he could make the throttle response snappier, "The initial throttle could be quicker but once its over 20% throttle it is as aggressive as possible.
This is why I asked are we talking about initial throttle or the entire throttle."

To which I replied "OK, by "snappy" I meant quicker or more "aggressive" response to initial throttle rotation.  As much as 15% for Standard and 25% for A Mode and maybe 10% for B mode. Is that sufficiently quantifiable?

Regardless, I'll ride it for a while longer and then contact you about returning my ECU for a more snappy tune."

To which David then responded "OK, cool, yep that is sufficiently quantifiable."

So yes, David can adjust initial response to be quicker than his normal "quick throttle" in any of the 3 modes, and I for one will take him up on his free life-time "tune adjustments" (my term).

And if you like A mode so much, wouldn't it be nice if it started out in A?  David will do that for you as well.  He reflashed my ECU a couple of months ago and it has been a great improvement in all aspects.

Btw in the 2017, the bike starts in the mode you switch it off in :)

When I can stop riding my FJ for long enough (as I'm currently at the rate of about 2,000 miles per month), I will return the ECU to David for a quickening (not a Highlander thing) of all 3 modes; particularly A mode.  I'm used to sport bikes with significantly more torque if not also more horsepower and have thus have very refined right wrist control.  
David said to me the following in response to me asking if he could make the throttle response snappier, "The initial throttle could be quicker but once its over 20% throttle it is as aggressive as possible.
This is why I asked are we talking about initial throttle or the entire throttle."

To which I replied "OK, by "snappy" I meant quicker or more "aggressive" response to initial throttle rotation.  As much as 15% for Standard and 25% for A Mode and maybe 10% for B mode. Is that sufficiently quantifiable?

Regardless, I'll ride it for a while longer and then contact you about returning my ECU for a more snappy tune."

To which David then responded "OK, cool, yep that is sufficiently quantifiable."

So yes, David can adjust initial response to be quicker than his normal "quick throttle" in any of the 3 modes, and I for one will take him up on his free life-time "tune adjustments" (my term).

Thanks! This is exactly what I was referring to. I think I will have that conversation with him up front to get that "snappy-ness" that I have come to love about A-Mode...

Also, @urbannomad I do not understand why that wasn't the case from day 1!

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

I have both an 05 FJR and a 15 FJ-09.  I have logged over 220,000 miles on the FJR and am now at 43,000 on the FJ.  When I ride the FJR, I feel the love I had for that bike, but come time to choice between the two for a ride, whether a 150 miler to Carson and Cougar or a two week 4-5,000 mile trip, I now choice the FJ.  Although I will be making improvements on the FJ, as I did the FJR, the stock fit is better for my 150-160 lb. body.  I'm happy with the stock trottle and engine performance, but may alter that in the future, just don't feel a need at this point.  The new Gen 3 - FJR's are much smoother than the Gen 1's, almost to a boring level, but that is good for long distance riding.  New or old FJR's kick ass in the twisties with the right pilot.  A lot of the performance and handling properties of a motorcycle are only challenged by a few people, as most of the time we are limited to street conditions and therefore really can't ride to the max safely.  Given I'm now older, I tend to be less agressive, and focus more on being smooth.  I can ride either of these two bike fast and smooth and be very satisfied with the OEM set up.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

I was on the Blue ridge with one of my riding partners and he had his FJR. We swapped for a hour, he had his suspension all done up from Traxxion . Penski rear AK20 front forks and my bike was stock.The first thing I noticed was the weight , the FJR felt heavy. But the way he had the bike set up it cornered very good.My stock FJ09 felt more nimble around the curves. The motor on the FJR was smooth but for all the horsepower the bike has it didn't feel faster than my FJ09. The riding position on the FJR was a little more sporty still comfortable .When I got back on my bike and thought about the difference , if I was going on a long trip and it was ALL highway I would like the FJR more due to the smooth motor and more wind protection . If I was going on a long trip and there was curvy roads I would prefer the FJ09 due to the nimble feel and outstanding midrange of the bike.

I live in the middle of Iowa so there aren't a lot of really curvy roads nearby. That being said, when the opportunity presents itself I love leaning over to scrape my pegs. For me, it is easier to do this with the FJR because it is a slightly sportier riding position. Plus, I'm way more familiar with the FJR than the FJ09 so that's probably a big factor. Either bike is certainly capable of leaning way over, the FJR just does it a touch easier for me.

• Premium Member
I live in the middle of Iowa so there aren't a lot of really curvy roads nearby. That being said, when the opportunity presents itself I love leaning over to scrape my pegs. For me, it is easier to do this with the FJR because it is a slightly sportier riding position. Plus, I'm way more familiar with the FJR than the FJ09 so that's probably a big factor. Either bike is certainly capable of leaning way over, the FJR just does it a touch easier for me.

That is why coming from my VTR1000F that I modified into a sport tourer I installed 1.5" lower bars with a bit more sweep and flipped the risers to move the bars back 10 mm on the FJ09, as well as raised the forks 5 mm in the clamps for a more sporty stance and to load up the front wheel more to better rock the turns without loss of comfort to me. BBs packed solid inside the bars also help a lot with quelling the vibes.

I used to do that, but after putting on the Penske rear shock and GP front forks, the scraping the pegs stopped.  The Penke raised the rear and I went from flat footing it to having to use my toes at stops.  If I move forward in the seat I could get both feet flat on the ground.  As jovrider noted, a custom suspension does improve the FJR's feel in the corners.  (can't say it makes you faster, but it feel better) Of course my back to back was coming off worn out rear shock to new penske, and the raising of the rear which loaded the front more in the turns.  It also made it easier to get the bike on the center stand. 

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

Hey, nsmiller, thanks for the post. I have an FJR which I have ridden from SoCal to Alaska...and back...twice. I don't recommend the FJR for the Dalton but it is do-able. Then, again, John Ryan took three (or was it four?) tries. I have been seriously looking at the FJ09 for a couple years, while still happily riding the FJR, and your comments (and the other posts) are quite helpful

I don't imagine we'll go all the way up the Dalton when we make our trip, partially due to limited vacation time. If I did go up the Dalton, I'd probably rent a R1200GS in Anchorage or Fairbanks.

If you have any FJR vs FJ-09 specific questions, let me know and I'll do my best to answer.

Archived