Not-So Obvious Differences between an FJR 1300 and an FJ-09

As most of you know I ride a '15 FJR 1300, and my wife has a '15 FJ-09. These two Yamaha sport-tourers compliment each other quite well for the style of riding we do. Both are capable of carrying luggage, both can easily gobble up miles on the freeway, both have plenty of horsepower to play around with. Purchase of these two bikes is the beginning of achieving our goal to ride our bikes to Alaska together in Summer of '18.

Of course, each of these bikes accomplishes a similar mission in a slightly different way. I don't need to go through the spec sheet and tell you all the cost and performance numbers of each bike, you can easily do that on your own. I just want to share a few of my observations about the bikes that aren't obvious unless you've ridden one or both.

Both bikes are model year 15 so in that way they are equivalent. I primarily ride the FJR, having put over 26K miles on mine since I bought it in October of 15. My wife's FJ-09 was purchased in August of '16. She has about 6,000 miles on it in that time. I haven't ridden her bike all the far or often. Primarily if I ride her bike its just before or after doing scheduled maintenance to verify that everything is good to go for her.

Well a few weeks ago there was

This incident led to me having to

During the time that my FJR was out of commission, I rode my wife's FJ-09 for a few days back to back. Here are my observations:

1. In cooler weather riding, say below 60 degrees, the FJR's coolant temperature sensor comes up off of 'Lo', much quicker than the FJ09. Additionally, the FJR reaches operating temp much quicker (160-180 F) much quicker than the FJ09. The FJ09 will rise to about 135 and then very slowly increase a few degrees at a time up to eventually arriving at 160 F range. Once they arrive at their operating temps the FJR will bounce around a lot inside of an acceptable range. The FJ09 coolant temp will be much more stable within a few degrees for sustained highway riding. I think this is primarily due to where the coolant temp sensor is in relation to the radiator/thermostat/engine block. Its not a problem in either case, just a difference.

2. The FJR, with its large inline 4, is smooth throughout the rev range. It will happily purr along at 75, 80, 90, 100, etc. The FJ09's triple motor seems to be the smoothest at certain speeds. Since its ridden by a profession driver on a closed course (AKA me on I-35), I have determined it is very happy near 6K revs, or about 88 mph. My wife has already named her bike Vixon, and its not changing. But if it were my bike I'd call it the DeLorean. 

3. I really hate to admit this, but with stock pipes, the FJ-09 has the cooler sound. The growl of the triple when you rev it high is a great sound. The FJR can't match it with stock pipes.

4. The FJ09 makes me want to be a hooligan more than my FJR for some reason. I don't really know why this is. Both bikes have similar acceleration capabilities, but something about the fact that the FJ09 is so light makes me want to just throw it around speed up and down city streets.

5. The FJR is still the best fit for me and I'm glad to have it fixed.

• Supporting Member
I have always liked the FJR, I rode one a bit while on a week long road trip last summer and it is a hell of a bike. I had seriously considered acquiring one until I was rolling one around the showroom floor... holy crap, potential hernia, slipped disc in my back and near dislocated shoulder, that mother is HEAVY, dead weight. Riding it is one thing, but when it is stationary it is a completely different animal.
I began looking for a smaller, semi-equivelant to the FJR which is what led me to the FJ-09.
I am taking off on another week long trip in a few weeks and look forward to swapping bikes and riding his FJR again.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

In regards to #4, IMHO, the FJ-09 is like a hooligan wearing a blazer. It's still very much a hooligan bike, but it's "wearing" the sport touring title, upright / tall seat and some luggage so it fools you at first glance. But make no mistake, it's a FZ under that subframe.

I had a FJR for about 18 months before sold it last week. It had been a great bike and I enjoyed in a few long cross states trip.
I have been looking at Mt-09 Tracer (FJ-09) once I arrive to my new assigned location, it is probably a better fit bike on those narrow streets in Japan.

After watching that video of your wife backing into your FJR I must say you have great self control. Also I think she needs to learn how to back up, that bike should have been clearly visible and she is lucky it's not a person or pet that can't be replaced. On a more positive note, atleast you got more seat time on the fj-09 because of it!
'15 FJ-09 with an aftermarket parts addiction

• Premium Member
A tool for every job... Each bike has their function. It's up to us to decide what we're using the bike for. Bummer about the mishap. Nobody was hurt and that's what's important .
A Motorcyclist's Church is the open road....

After watching that video of your wife backing into your FJR I must say you have great self control. Also I think she needs to learn how to back up, that bike should have been clearly visible and she is lucky it's not a person or pet that can't be replaced. On a more positive note, atleast you got more seat time on the fj-09 because of it!
...in here defense, to an extent or course...she was backing into a shadow from a fully sun-lit area... so shet happens, and lesson learned I'm sure. I drove trucks for some years and backing into docks in the shadow like this was always a bit dicey until the vehicle was fully inside the shadow. I'd normally come out and survey the spot. Of course I didn't have the luxury of a rear view camera or a rear view.

Yep sheet does happen and like you said, as long as a lesson was learned. I've sure as heck learned things the hard way before.

In regards to #4, IMHO, the FJ-09 is like a hooligan wearing a blazer. It's still very much a hooligan bike, but it's "wearing" the sport touring title, upright / tall seat and some luggage so it fools you at first glance. But make no mistake, it's a FZ under that subframe.

Couldn't have said it better??

• Premium Member
I found that once you've had your bike knocked over buy a car you tend to be a bit more cautious about where you park your bike. Shorter people driving some of these new cars and suv's with the tinted windows and all the headrest are lucky if they can see behind them at all. 
BLB

I'm pretty sure the issue is that once she made the corner around the pickup she quit looking behind her and started looking in front of her in order to make sure the nose of the car was aligned with our side of the driveway. Normally my bike would not have been sitting there, and we don't have any cats/dogs/children around our house so she just wasn't expecting it. Yes, she made a mistake, and she has learned her lesson. 

I'm pretty sure the issue is that once she made the corner around the pickup she quit looking behind her and started looking in front of her in order to make sure the nose of the car was aligned with our side of the driveway. Normally my bike would not have been sitting there, and we don't have any cats/dogs/children around our house so she just wasn't expecting it. Yes, she made a mistake, and she has learned her lesson. 

Sorry that came out harsher than I meant it. As long as the lesson was learned and no one was hurt, metal and plastic can be repaired. I've learned many lessons at the expense of metal and plastic.

The only thing I can quibble about in your original post was the comment about the FJ09 power band. That is a result of how your engine is tuned. I have 2WDW reflash, stock pipes, and APS adjusted and have a smooth power band from idle to red line, doesn't matter what gear, RPM, or speed.

The only thing I can quibble about in your original post was the comment about the FJ09 power band. That is a result of how your engine is tuned. I have 2WDW reflash, stock pipes, and APS adjusted and have a smooth power band from idle to red line, doesn't matter what gear, RPM, or speed.
I wasn't implying that the power band wasn't smooth or capable, more that the engine's vibrations were minimized at certain RPM's. It's just a sweet spot for the engine if you know what I mean. Almost every vehicle  I've ever driven has some sort of sweet spot. Eventually I'd like to get a 2WDW flash for our FJ-09, but that is on the back burner to some other items right now.

Couldn't have said it better??
I put it this way once - if the sport-tourer-designated MT/ FJ-09 was a cocktail it would be a drop of touring vermouth in a bucket of sport gin (or vodka) - shaken, not stirred of course! 

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Premium Member
I wasn't implying that the power band wasn't smooth or capable, more that the engine's vibrations were minimized at certain RPM's. It's just a sweet spot for the engine if you know what I mean. Almost every vehicle  I've ever driven has some sort of sweet spot. Eventually I'd like to get a 2WDW flash for our FJ-09, but that is on the back burner to some other items right now.
Consider David at Vcyclenut too who I highly recommend... 
http://www.vcyclenut.com/store/p2/FZ%2FFJ-09%2FXSR900_custom_flash.html

http://www.vcyclenut.com/store/p2/FZ%2FFJ-09%2FXSR900_custom_flash.html

Archived