GIVI RM2122KIT Mudflap Kit For Yamaha FJ-09

• Premium Member
Stumbled onto this new GIVI item today while browsing.
[a href=http://static.twisted-throttle.net/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/28496d0a14ec004b76332fd2427e3099/g/i/givi_rm2122kit_web.jpg]
[a href=http://www.twistedthrottle.ca/givi-rm2122kit-mudflap-kit-for-yamaha-fj-09-15-17]link

givi_rm2122kit_web.jpg[/a]

[/a]

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

hmmm the Givi one is only mounted via 1 side and the other is mounted on both sides...Bad scenarios are playing out in my head
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

Looks like it will do a good job of keeping spray off the rear bracket. What I'd like to see protected is everything forward of that. It gets old cleaning out the stuff in the rectifier hole and the shock area.
I wish the guys that make the beak would make a matching hugger (and sell the set for under 200 bucks since I'm just wishing stuff here).

Yikes! That video looks llike a solution to a problem where your arse is on fire and needs cooling quickly.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

...saw this video some time ago (someone posted) showing similar product channeling water all over the under-tail section (and maybe more)... The Givi could perform better though. 
[video size=small" src="https://youtu.be/1W2bVE91ijg]

Yeah.. they should have done a video without the guard installed and then with the guard installed so we could tell if and how much more that under tail gets drenched. I think its unavoidable that the underside is getting soaked if you are riding in rain, but I still think it would be good to see a comparison.

The Givi seems to sit a little further down the tire and more vertical than the Leon Esatto guard

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

I have been kicking this idea around for awhile.

Problem with our ride is that it's very windy back there, and any spray just becomes caught up in the draft, and then is stuck right to your back and backside.

To CURE the problem, a simple fix is to make a "hugger" or rear fender that goes from the stock hugger to about where these add on bits are hanging out in the breeze. (And I like how the FZ09 has it with lights/lamps and mounts the plate there.

To do our bikes right, it should have a long one part plastic "hugger" that takes the stock lamps, and license plate holder/lamp. turns the plate sideways if you want to keep it "narrow" looking or set normal if you want.

To do it right, a complete plastic part would be needed, and a simple aluminum or stainless stamped and bent mount to the rear axle. The metal part could be made of bent medium gauge wire, since it's there to hold light stuff with very little loading. (Like they do on city pedal bikes with fenders.)

Mold in a simple chase for wires and build up wire looms for plug and play easy install. (Moves your stock tail stuff down to the new plastic fender, bolt up the metal support, attach to the front hugger location, plug it all in, and you are done.)

No more wet but, no more dirty bike every time you ride in the rain or catch a wet puddle.

With some design work, it might even fit with side cases? (But not with the lamps, just the longer fender, but that's fine, if you have cases, you want the wider stock lamps anyway.)

I have been kicking this idea around for awhile. 
Problem with our ride is that it's very windy back there, and any spray just becomes caught up in the draft, and then is stuck right to your back and backside.

To CURE the problem, a simple fix is to make a "hugger" or rear fender that goes from the stock hugger to about where these add on bits are hanging out in the breeze. (And I like how the FZ09 has it with lights/lamps and mounts the plate there.

To do our bikes right, it should have a long one part plastic "hugger" that takes the stock lamps, and license plate holder/lamp. turns the plate sideways if you want to keep it "narrow" looking or set normal if you want.

To do it right, a complete plastic part would be needed, and a simple aluminum or stainless stamped and bent mount to the rear axle. The metal part could be made of bent medium gauge wire, since it's there to hold light stuff with very little loading. (Like they do on city pedal bikes with fenders.)

Mold in a simple chase for wires and build up wire looms for plug and play easy install. (Moves your stock tail stuff down to the new plastic fender, bolt up the metal support, attach to the front hugger location, plug it all in, and you are done.)

No more wet but, no more dirty bike every time you ride in the rain or catch a wet puddle.

With some design work, it might even fit with side cases? (But not with the lamps, just the longer fender, but that's fine, if you have cases, you want the wider stock lamps anyway.)
I have also thought long and hard and often about this, being an avid tinkerer and farkler.   I reckon that one could buy a cheap plastic after-market front mudguard for a trail/ dirt bike - casual looking indicates they are dirt cheap.   This, if carefully selected, might have the correct diameter to suit our tyre size, and would be very easy to paint.  Some means of fixing it at the front would be necessary - the inside mounting bolts for the pillion-peg hangers and some made-up brackets would make a good starting point.  I have OE panniers on my bike, and they are attached by very chunky steel plates and a round cross-tube, other solid points to possibly fasten a new hugger as suggested... 
Once my current farkling is done I'll go further into this.   I've had aftermarket (PUIG) huggers on other bikes and they do seem to work quite well, as well as filling that empty hole between the top of the rear tyre and the underside of the back of the bike.   I wouldn't mind getting this done before I head north in about six weeks - stay tuned.....! 

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

Has anyone installed the Givi one yet? And do you think it will shoot more water in to your rectum?
Edited for accuracy ??

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

Archived