Wind noise

brider225

So after having my FJ for a little over 2 months I like it more now than when I first started riding it...except for one thing....Wind noise.
I'm not talking about buffeting, I've experienced that from fairings on other bikes. I mean flat out wind noise even with no windscreen at all. 
I have tried 2 aftermarket windscreens and while a mild improvement over stock, I am not happy with the results.
Yes, I've read through many of the windshield threads but have not found anyone saying they have found an option that will give you "clean air" on your helmet.
I prefer not to run a windshield that does not  permit any air flow on my head/body because it gets hot very quickly in my helmet>
Anybody have a solution to this that I have not read yet?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I always ride with ear plugs. I like to protect my hearing.
My helmet is a Shoei RF-1200 but it's not a helmet issue.
I use the same helmet on my other bike as well and do not have this issue.
It is not normal wind noise, the best way I can describe it is like a roar. If I stand up while riding,the air is clean it quiets down dramatically.

• Premium Member
I always ride with ear plugs. I like to protect my hearing. My helmet is a Shoei RF-1200 but it's not a helmet issue.
I use the same helmet on my other bike as well and do not have this issue.
It is not normal wind noise, the best way I can describe it is like a roar. If I stand up while riding,the air is clean it quiets down dramatically.
It sounds like you're describing intake roar.  Does it change at all with RPM - more throttle = more roar?

does the noise get louder if you get into a tuck?

there is a piece of foam under the gas tank that dampens the intake noise...unfortunately I removed it long ago...
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

It's a very common problem with this bike and seems to be due to turbulent air from the nose design. Windshields that increase the gap between the instrument panel and the underside of the windscreen seem to help (or use spacers) and taller/wider screens push the airflow higher so the turbulence doesn't arrrive under your chin.

The alternative, which works really well is to go short or no screen at all, but IMHO it's only a solution for warmer weather.

I have a tall Puig screen, with a little adjustable spoiler on the top and that works for me (6ft 2), Schuberth C3 helmet and pinlock earplugs. I can easily listen to music and even take a phone call with this setup so the noise is acceptable.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

• Supporting Member
@brider225 - I've experienced the same thing from day one with the FJ, and am particularly surprised at how much wind noise there is even at very low speeds. The road out of my neighborhood is a strictly-enforced 30 mph speed zone, and it's very noticeable even at those speeds. I haven't experienced the buffeting that some members complain of, just the noise.

I've run without a screen at all for the last few months, and I feel it's an across-the-board improvement from stock. Even at an 80+ mph cruise, the wind blast isn't bad at all. I'm 6'1", 225 lbs, run the seat in the tall position and the bars forward... your mileage may vary. I do want to put some kind of screen back on, however, and am leaning towards a Cal Sci shorty... we shall see how that works for me. In the meantime, I always use earplugs, and periodically stand up on the pegs at speed to remind myself that the natural airflow really isn't that bad after all.

Thanks BBB, Suncoaster, and Texscottyrd...
What you have shared has been my exact experience.
I did cut down the stock screen and also have run with no screeen as well. It is definitely an improvement but it's still noisy due to the front nose shape. Which looks cool, but It apparently is not the best aero design. Running no screen is ok in the summer but not the best for the highways. I was hoping someone found a screen design that will be the "Magic Bullet". At least a large improvement...

Thanks BBB, Suncoaster, and Texscottyrd... What you have shared has been my exact experience.
I did cut down the stock screen and also have run with no screeen as well. It is definitely an improvement but it's still noisy due to the front nose shape. Which looks cool, but It apparently is not the best aero design. Running no screen is ok in the summer but not the best for the highways. I was hoping someone found a screen design that will be the "Magic Bullet". At least a large improvement...
It's mighty strange, isn't it, how one man's meat is another man's poison!   I have never been backward in coming forward to criticise the Tracer's abomination of a stock seat, and its harsh out-of-the-box suspension, but now on my third Tracer I have no issues whatsoever with the stock screen.  I should qualify it with the fact that I am solely a recreational rider - day-in day-out commuting may be a different matter.   Also I'm blessed (as is suncoaster) to live in a climate that's pretty balmy and benign year-round - again, given frequent outings in snow, hail, rain, etc., it might be a different story!   I also have an efficiently-shaped helmet and always wear custom ear-plugs, and don't ride at warp speeds! 
There is no 'Magic Bullet', I fear.   But let me comment on the suggested cause of the problem being at least in part due to the shape of the bike's nose design.  It seems it would be simplicity itself to attach a couple of triangular fairing pieces (one each side) just above each headlight lens - see my photo below.   These might smooth the air-flow and help things along.   

A couple of temporary trial pieces might be made of stiff cardboard, a piece of MDF, whatever, and duct-taped to the bike to try it.   If it works, a permanent neater job using perspex/ Lucite/ whatever would look OK, IMHO, or a solid piece painted to match the nose, or with some carbon-look vinyl sheet stuck on it to match the adjacent faux carbon at the side of the fairing (which would be my choice). 

Eyeballing it on my bike it doesn't foul the hand-guards at all.   I'm almost disappointed that I don't have the problem as otherwise I'd like to try this suggested remedy - I do like 'fiddling'! 

P1040049.jpg

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

I have the same problem, have tried several different things, cut down stock windshield, and 2 different brands of tall windshields. My next thing to try is something like side deflectors in the post above. I also want to try to block off air flow which may be coming up through the hole where the forks are.

Thanks for posting that picture Wordsmith.
I have been thinking that I will have to make something along those lines and that looks like a good idea to start with. Was hoping that someone has already figured it out and came up with a design to save me some time experimenting with different shapes.
Guess I will have to pick up some Lexan and starting cutting and shaping.

Archived