Wind noise

brider225

Yamaha should be paying us for doing R&D for em on how the majority of us fine tune the FJ-09 ?
C'mon!   They don't even outlay on their own R&D - witness crap seat, suspension, screen!
I am getting really bored with the complaints about the wind noise, spongy suspension or painful seat.  For the price point that Yamaha was trying to hit - and price is always an independent variable in the design of motorcycles except for the very, very expensive ones - I think Yamaha did an outstanding job.  Seats, suspension and screens are relatively easy to upgrade, upgrading a frame or an engine is not.  In my humble opinion, Yamaha put the right focus on the right features. 

2015 Yamaha FJ-09 and 2018 Yamaha XSR700

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Good find - that's new to me.

They also have other deflectors:
https://puig.tv/en/tuning-motos/deflectors-embellishers/front-deflector-windshield?bike=12092

I'd like to see a review or a "Puig" bike with all their kit..

Im curious to hear if putting a "beak" on changes the wind noise...
Nothing noticeable in my case. 

It just made the bike much more sexy looking......

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

They also have other deflectors:
https://puig.tv/en/tuning-motos/deflectors-embellishers/front-deflector-windshield?bike=12092

I'd like to see a review or a "Puig" bike with all their kit..

So would i, i have tried various screens  shimmed at various angles and have settled on the puig touring screen, i believe that the shape/angle of the headlight is were i am feeling turbulence cumming under the screen and up. So would be interested if anyone tries out any of the puig deflectors .... suncoaster, i only had one choice and now i have two .... Dam and blast .... Choices, choices, choices.  :)

C'mon!   They don't even outlay on their own R&D - witness crap seat, suspension, screen!
I am getting really bored with the complaints about the wind noise, spongy suspension or painful seat.  For the price point that Yamaha was trying to hit - and price is always an independent variable in the design of motorcycles except for the very, very expensive ones - I think Yamaha did an outstanding job.  Seats, suspension and screens are relatively easy to upgrade, upgrading a frame or an engine is not.  In my humble opinion, Yamaha put the right focus on the right features.
People here are entitled to put their views, opinions, experiences on any pertinent subject.   If particular posts or Threads are of no interest to you, don't read them!   I don't read posts about (f'rinstance, taking some recent examples) brake-pads or stainless-steel brake lines, but that doesn't mean that they aren't important to some - maybe many - members here. 
I note that among a number of your own upgrades, changes, and add-ons you have an aftermarket seat on your bike, a Cal Sci screen, modified hand-guards, and that your bike has been beaked - these are just a few of the modifications you've made, yet you claim that Yamaha has done an 'outstanding job'.   It doesn't seem to follow.

You saw fit to post these things, doubtless believing that others here may find interest or even inspiration in your activities.   Why not allow others the same courtesy?   Moaning for the sake of moaning may not be useful to others, but most often the moan is accompanied by some sort of solution, or at least a plea for help and guidance.

And it's worth noting that by far the most popular activity on this Forum, covering so far 204 pages of posts, is the "what did you do today to your FJ?" Thread.   If so many posts on these 204 pages express dissatisfaction with any aspect of the bike - seat, screen, suspension, whatever - that hardly validates your claim that Yamaha focussed on the 'right' features.   Sure, the engine is great, braking good, handling fine, looks - well, totally subjective, but I for one like the overall design - but they blew it in some other important areas.

I challenge you, sir, to dirty words at twenty paces! 

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

I think we are digressing here. All @hlmiskelly is saying is that it's easy to upgrade the windscreen, seat, etc... while the engine, chasis, etc were manufactured nicely. It's a fair trade off as opposed to getting a mediocre engine but amazing seat or windscreen.

Also, @wordsmith aren't you the person who sold your first FJ/MT only to buy another one a year later? You must agree with him on some level. And your point about the "what did you do to your FJ today?" thread doesn't necessarily indicate a dissatisfaction with the bike as much as the fact that it's fun to modify/customize your own.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

Not being an ass, just noting that all product designs involve trade-offs between various requirements - engine horsepower versus weight versus size versus fuel consumption, for example - and that price is one of them.  As a former design engineer, I made form and function trade-offs for literally hundreds of designs.  For me personally, I think that Yamaha made the correct trade-offs because the shortcomings that we all complaint about - myself included -are easily fixed.  My bike has a new windscreen and seat on it precisely to overcome those shortcomings.

Besides, who would want an absolutely perfect bike?  What would we play with?  How would we make it better?  For me, a major thrill of owning a motorcycle is constantly "tweeking" it to better suit my preferences.

2015 Yamaha FJ-09 and 2018 Yamaha XSR700

I can ride any bike and in 15 minutes come up with a list of poor design or style characteristics. Bad suspension, bad seat, bad air flow. Why the %$@!(&^@ can't bike manufactures do the same thing and get it right the first time? It would cost them next to nothing and you'd think they would sell a lot more bikes. I contribute it to engineers with computers who never leave their rooms and never ride what they design.

Personally, I really enjoy the FJ. The engine is super and the suspension is good enough for my skill level at this point. Seats, I always change them.... I just want someway to get cleaner air flow to quiet down the noise even with ear plugs. As previously stated when you stand up the noise dissipates into a clear rush of air that is smooth and quiet.

Not being an ass, just noting that all product designs involve trade-offs between various requirements - engine horsepower versus weight versus size versus fuel consumption, for example - and that price is one of them.  As a former design engineer, I made form and function trade-offs for literally hundreds of designs.  For me personally, I think that Yamaha made the correct trade-offs because the shortcomings that we all complaint about - myself included -are easily fixed.  My bike has a new windscreen and seat on it precisely to overcome those shortcomings. 
Besides, who would want an absolutely perfect bike?  What would we play with?  How would we make it better?  For me, a major thrill of owning a motorcycle is constantly "tweeking" it to better suit my preferences.

i think we can all agree that the FJ/ MT is a prime example of 'the curate's egg' - good in parts!

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

Thanks for posting that picture Wordsmith. I have been thinking that I will have to make something along those lines and that looks like a good idea to start with. Was hoping that someone has already figured it out and came up with a design to save me some time experimenting with different shapes.
Guess I will have to pick up some Lexan and starting cutting and shaping.
Naturally enough, I've been pondering this approach for the past day or so!   It would, as I said earlier, be easy enough to secure a dummy/ mock-up reflector to the bike with duct or double-sided tape (or similar to see how/ if it works), but then how to attach a permanent solution along those lines seems trickier.    
I could stand drilling a couple of small holes to take screws through the outboard edge of the black plastic under-screen support, then through the deflector, but I'm not sure then how to secure the deflector along the upper edge of the painted headlight fairing, which is 'too nice' to drill!   Maybe there, in conjunction with the two screws as described taking the bulk of the wind-generated pressures, some industrial-strength double-sided tape under the rear edge of the fairing might suffice, and be neatly hidden.   

But on further reflection if you used thick/ rigid enough Lexan the screws alone might be sufficient to hold the part securely and vibe-free, making secondary attachment to the fairing unnecessary - just tuck it in behind. 

But maybe better still, see also suncoaster's thoughts for a ready-made deflector.

Please keep us posted on your efforts and outcomes.

In my haste to cobble together some sort of wind-noise reducing device mounted off the screen mounting plate, I totally forgot that this part moves vertically by about an inch or more to give differing screen heights!   Aaaarrrggghhhhh!   It's a good job I don't suffer from wind noise and was looking to this as a solution!   Apologies to those who may have followed me up a blind alley...

• Supporting Member
In my haste to cobble together some sort of wind-noise reducing device mounted off the screen mounting plate, I totally forgot that this part moves vertically by about an inch or more to give differing screen heights!   Aaaarrrggghhhhh!   It's a good job I don't suffer from wind noise and was looking to this as a solution!   Apologies to those who may have followed me up a blind alley...
Haha, while following your write-up and photos, that aspect didn't dawn on me either.   

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Archived