Cigarette Lighter Plug woes....

This was my solution. I bought a battery tender extension cable and the usb adapter and ran it from under the seat through the fairings. When I want to hook the bike up to the battery tender I just unplug the extension under the seat and plug the battery tender in like normal. I have also washed the bike and it has been in the rain and it has held up well.

20200516-134400.jpg

20200516-134413.jpg

Edited by Zach26
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member

My first like this dual 5v USB / Volt Meter didn't survive but the 2nd is still functioning after 18 months or so...

The other pic is a standard cig-USB 5v power outlet in the OEM 12v outlet with USB cable tethered, which also works well.

20200428_164544.jpg

20180704_104808.jpg

• Premium Member

No advice to OP but if this is a poll I've had zero charging issues using the left side cigarette lighter port to charge my Garmin over 9,300 miles.  I have a wire off the battery but use it for heated gear or a battery tender in colder months.

On 5/16/2020 at 8:39 PM, Soullancer said:

Wish there was a nice solution to install at the right side of the dash, but all the usb charger ports that you see end up dead (alixp) or don't actually.fit that well

Mine is on the right,  just because it fits the entry point to my tank bag better, and the blanking plug is on the left. I have a dual USB charger port with voltage read out in the centre. It was an ebay purchase and has worked faultlessly. I had to enlarge the mounting hole with a round file, perhaps 1mm all round and then just used the OEM wiring.

• Thumbsup 1

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

2 hours ago, BBB said:

I had to enlarge the mounting hole with a round file, perhaps 1mm all round and then just used the OEM wiring.

I went the other - and I think easier - way, and using a flat file took off some of the plastic 'threads' on the plug by a mm or less.   Found this a great deal easier than filing the very hard metal of the hole!

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Premium Member
49 minutes ago, wordsmith said:

I went the other - and I think easier - way, and using a flat file took off some of the plastic 'threads' on the plug by a mm or less.   Found this a great deal easier than filing the very hard metal of the hole!

Is that something your wife taught you?

• Thumbsup 1