Cigarette Lighter Plug woes....

• Premium Member
I recently purchased a phone mount for my handlebar, and started riding with my iPhone as my GPS. It works fine for what I'm doing, and have been happy with the setup. I plug the USB cord from my iPhone into a cigarette lighter/USB adapter, and plug it into the cigarette lighter accessory on the FJ-09.

This all seems to work fine most of the time, but more than a few times, I have been surprised by messages on my phone saying I was running out of power. A quick glance at the phone shows it is definitely not charging, so I twist the adapter and it starts charging again. Sometimes one time solves the problem, sometimes, it takes 2-3 to get the charger to keep charging.

Anyone else experienced this, and short of hardwiring a USB plug to my bike, any ideas on how to make this more reliable?

• Premium Member
Anyone else experienced this, and short of hardwiring a USB plug to my bike, any ideas on how to make this more reliable?
Yes, I had the same experience with the USB power adapter jiggling out of the 12V plug. You already guessed how I solved it. I purchased a second 12V plug and wired a USB power adapter into it. 

2015 red FJ-09: Cal Sci screen, Sargent seat, ECU flash, slider combo, cruise, Rizoma bars, Matts forks, JRi shock, slipper clutch

• Premium Member
I recently purchased a phone mount for my handlebar, and started riding with my iPhone as my GPS. It works fine for what I'm doing, and have been happy with the setup. I plug the USB cord from my iPhone into a cigarette lighter/USB adapter, and plug it into the cigarette lighter accessory on the FJ-09. 
This all seems to work fine most of the time, but more than a few times, I have been surprised by messages on my phone saying I was running out of power. A quick glance at the phone shows it is definitely not charging, so I twist the adapter and it starts charging again. Sometimes one time solves the problem, sometimes, it takes 2-3 to get the charger to keep charging.

I had the same problem trying to keep my action cam powered.  My solution was to add a zip-tie over the top of the USB adapter, which is then run through the hole left after removing a push rivet.  it's worked for two seasons.

IMG_0640.jpg

Thanks everyone, at least I know I'm not crazy, I'll try the zip tie first and electrical work as a last resort.
On this matter, there appears to be a sort-of 'blank' or 'dummy' plug/ cap/ cover on the matching round hole on the rhs.   What's this for?   Does anyone use it - and if so for what may I ask?   Thanks..

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Supporting Member
Thanks everyone, at least I know I'm not crazy, I'll try the zip tie first and electrical work as a last resort.
On this matter, there appears to be a sort-of 'blank' or 'dummy' plug/ cap/ cover on the matching round hole on the rhs.   What's this for?   Does anyone use it - and if so for what may I ask?   Thanks..
That is for adding a 2nd 12v socket if you chose.  Its an optional Yamaha accessory. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
I have been surprised by messages on my phone saying I was running out of power. A quick glance at the phone shows it is definitely not charging, so I twist the adapter and it starts charging again. Sometimes one time solves the problem, sometimes, it takes 2-3 to get the charger to keep charging.
I haven't had to twist my GPS power adapter, but I have had to press it in firmly to re-seat it.  This only happens when I get to triple digits, its like the wind force actually pulls the power adapter out of the socket a few mm. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I removed the cigarrette lighter plug and replaced it with a dual USB socket which has a voltmeter read out between the sockets. I also swapped sides as it made sense for running the USB cable back to my tank bag.

The USB socket was very slightly bigger than the hole, but short work with a half-round file made it wide enough to slot in. Then just swap the wires over. USB cables seem to fit tighter so they don't vibrate out.

The voltmeter readout is very dim and can only really be seen at night, but the socket was very cheap on fleabay. Something like this one

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

• Supporting Member
@pcwizz - I know you said you want to avoid hardwiring a USB feed into the bike, but that's exactly what I did to power my bar-mounted iPhone, and I am really happy with how it worked out.

I put a USB outlet near the toolkit under the rear seat, which plugs into the Battery Tender wiring. Then routed a six foot right-angle USB to Apple Lightning cable along the left side wiring harness and out under the front of the tank. It's clean, simple, and has worked flawlessly so far.

4b3e68ebb0fa22d5778ebd501f62e0a9.jpg

e1d0f1d718827b0023adb1fbb5207110.jpg

I had a problem charging my phone the last time I went out riding.  It would stop charging until I removed the USB cord from the phone and plugged it in again.  Then it would only slow charge and eventually it barely provided any power to the phone at the point it was draining battery.  I wasn't sure if it was a problem with my phone or the bike or the adapter.  I don't think that it was because the charger was wiggling out.  I had that problem when I first got the bike and was using the adapter I had for my car.  This time I was using an some AUKEY flush fit car charger I got from Amazon and the only way to get that sucker out is by using my nails.IMAG0007.jpg

I wonder if the vibrations are rattling the cig adaptors apart mainly the cheap ones?
I've had this problem in the past.    When I use Powerlet/BMW style plugs and sockets, the problem was solved. When I first got my FJ, I used some cheap adapter in the OEM socket to power my GPS. For whatever reason, the fuse kept blowing.   Since installing a Powerlet socket in the OEM position, I haven't had a problem.  

Be aware that Yamaha have got some great things on this budget bike. Be aware that there are ready installed additional power take off points under the front nose fairing.

I have my gps plugged in there, freeing up the 12V socket.

I did post pictures and commentary, put photobucket no longer allows remote hosting, so everything I've have documented over the years on all sorts of forums has disappeared.

If you need it, I'll repost, let me know.

This site is great...I need to make a contribution....
Honda SS50, Kawasaki Z200, Honda 400/4, Yamaha TDM900, Yamaha XT660Z Tenere, KTM 990 Adventure, BMW R1200GS, Mr Stevens, and my favourite of all: Yamaha MT-09 Tracer...a bit like FJ-09 only properly named :¬P

• Premium Member

I had a problem charging my phone the last time I went out riding.  It would stop charging until I removed the USB cord from the phone and plugged it in again.  Then it would only slow charge and eventually it barely provided any power to the phone at the point it was draining battery.  I wasn't sure if it was a problem with my phone or the bike or the adapter.  I don't think that it was because the charger was wiggling out.  I had that problem when I first got the bike and was using the adapter I had for my car.  This time I was using an some AUKEY flush fit car charger I got from Amazon and the only way to get that sucker out is by using my nails. 

I got this adapter as well.  Haven't had a problem with it yet, although getting it out requires some "fa-nan-galin'"