Unrelated, but have you froze your credit yet? equifax hack

This isn't motorcycle related, but very important to Americans. Maybe Canadians too. And, I kinda care about you guys.

This summer, Equifax was hacked. Everyone in the USA and probably Canada who has ever applied for credit in any form or shape is affected. Names, SSN# 's Credit card numbers, DOB, address, everything about you and me is now in the hands of Russian or Asian hackers.

Within the next month, hackers will start selling this info to bad people who will then start buying things, charging things and financing things in other peoples names. This is gonna get really phucking ugly and it is gonna last for a long time. Get angry later, because first you need to protect yourself.

ASAP, call the three credit bureaus and have your credit frozen and keep it frozen for the near future.

Transunion- 888-909-8872
Equifax- 800-349-9960
Experian- 888-397-3742

All three will give you a pin when you lock your credit. DO NOT LOSE THAT PIN! You will need that someday to unlock your credit.

I plan on keeping my credit frozen for at least the next five years. This stops any credit checks or loans from being started in your name, until you call back in to unfreeze.

Does it cost? Yes, but it costs a hell of alot less than having your identity stolen.

Also, get a free credit report and NO NOT CREDIT KARMA OR ANY OF THOSE WEBSITES! Those websites sign you up for like 10 million telemarketing calls. This will allow you to prove that any new credit transaction wasn't done by you.

annualcreditreport.com This is the only website that will give you a free FULL credit report once per year, as per the US Govt, they contracted with thine one website. They will not put you on any telemarketing lists.

IF you do nothing, plan on your life becomming a living hell for 5-7 years, and to spend thousands trying to clear your name and your credit.

Take my advice, lock up your credit ASAP!!!! The window is short here folks. And, get your free credit report at the link above.

Put your pin#'s and the credit report in a safe place.

Also, if you don't have a passport yet, go get one ASAP. HAckers will be able to use your info and go get a password in your name, but if you already have an updated passport, this locks them out.

Don't be one of those who does nothing, and then has your identity stolen and discovers that someone ran up $50,000 in debt in your name. It is so very hard to get that removed.

Now for the shocker. The hack was easy to do. One of the Equifax servers had a password of :Password123. Yes, that is how they were protecting everyones financial info.

• Premium Member
So we need to call all three and pay all three to have our credit frozen? How about annual credit report.com do we pay to have it frozen there too?

Brick
2015 Yamaha FJ-09 "Red Molly"
2014 Yamaha Super Tenere' ES
1999 Suzuki SV650

FYI,

I called the Equifax number and was told "the system is too busy" and go to their website.

I called Experain and they gave a different number for Equifax (866 447 7559) and referred me to their website. $4.99/month to lock your credit.

I called Transunion and they referred me to their website. The cost is $10, but I don't know if it's a one time cost or monthly.

I read the terms and conditions for all the sites and they seem "one sided" at best.

I need to do some more research before I commit.

• Premium Member
FYI, 
I called the Equifax number and was told "the system is too busy" and go to their website.

I called Experain and they gave a different number for Equifax (866 447 7559) and referred me to their website. $4.99/month to lock your credit.

I called Transunion and they referred me to their website. The cost is $10, but I don't know if it's a one time cost or monthly.

I read the terms and conditions for all the sites and they seem "one sided" at best.

If you agree to their terms and conditions you will be waving your right to sue the bastards.
BLB

• Premium Member
FYI, 

Checked online with Equifax and they stated that I wasn't on their possibly hacked list. Read over their free (because of the hack) credit monitoring service. They no longer (and say it's retroactive) impose the arbitration and class action suit prohibition conditions that they previously included in their free offer. Went ahead and signed up, as well as freezing the equifax credit checking. Also checked my credit report from Experian and it looked ok (nothing unexpected), sooo so far so good...

So we need to call all three and pay all three to have our credit frozen? How about annual credit report.com do we pay to have it frozen there too?

Annual credit report is just that, a free honest credit report. Use it to see that nobody is running up bills in your name.

FYI, 

If you agree to their terms and conditions you will be waving your right to sue the bastards.

Good luck suing 100 billion dollar company with an army of evil soulless attorneys. You can join the class action suit, you might win $50 in three years or so. But a personal suit would cost you far more than you would win.

This country we live in is of the corporations, by the corporations and for the corporations.

Archived