Cool/cold weather gloves?

morkys

I don't have heated grips and while I may get some, I am first wondering about better gloves for cold weather. I bought a pair of larger gloves by Oxford and I thought they would be ok for colder weather but they don't seem to quite do it. They are definitely better than my regular gloves but not warm enough for longer rides. I will generally only ride above 5 C (41 F).

Any advice?
2017 FJ-09 - Yoshimura Y-series Exhaust / MRA Sport Screen / Evotech Rad Guard & Fork Sliders / Custom LED Rear Tail Light / Lowering Links / Mirror Extenders / Low Seat / Tail Tidy / Shogun Swingarm Sliders - Touring mods > Madstad 20" screen (on standby) / SHAD SH36 Hard Cases / SW-Motech Rear Alu-rack - Mods not yet installed > Fender Extender - Mods on the way > MT09 Adventure Pegs / Sargent seats / Knuckle Guard leds / Speedtech Photon Flush Mount LED signals / SW Motech Frame Sliders

I personally hate thick winter gloves as you lose so much feel, so I have a pair of Alpinestar goretex to keep them dry and use heated grips.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

• Supporting Member
I personally hate thick winter gloves as you lose so much feel, so I have a pair of Alpinestar goretex to keep them dry and use heated grips.
I also use Goretex Alpinestar gloves and heated grips.  One thing you might also look at is getting hand guards that are a more effective at blocking wind than what comes stock, I found them useless.  I have been using VStrom Hand Guards during the colder months.  They are just a plastic shield but they block cold air very effectively.  Last week I got stuck in freezing fog, the air temp sensor was reading 30 degrees and I had crunchy ice building up on my visor.  I had the grips set to a low heat setting and my hands were plenty warm. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
I hate being cold so I have it all. Heated grips, heated jacket liner (https://gordonsheated.com/) which I LOVE! I have tried many glove options and also dislike the thick gloves because of lack of feel. It’s also important for me to find protection... aka armor in gloves. Many of the better known heated gear companies gloves don’t have good protection. So shop around. Another option is heated glove liners. With the advent of the micro wires these heated glove liners really work. The idea is that these heated liners are thin enough to fit under a glove that is both not to bulky and has good armor protection. I think my liners are made by First Gear. The only heated option I have not tried is the heated seat option.
All of these options work and are used for different weather conditions.
Get what you need to stay comfortable in the colder temperatures. And then ride!

Brick
2015 Yamaha FJ-09 "Red Molly"
2014 Yamaha Super Tenere' ES
1999 Suzuki SV650

I also use Goretex Alpinestar gloves and heated grips.  One thing you might also look at is getting hand guards that are a more effective at blocking wind than what comes stock, I found them useless.  I have been using VStrom Hand Guards during the colder months.  They are just a plastic shield but they block cold air very effectively.  Last week I got stuck in freezing fog, the air temp sensor was reading 30 degrees and I had crunchy ice building up on my visor.  I had the grips set to a low heat setting and my hands were plenty warm. 

Got any pics of those hand guards on the bike?

• Premium Member
Check out these at Warm & Safe:
http://www.warmnsafe.com/ultimate-sport-mens-heated-gloves/

WnS actually manufactures the Firstgear heated gloves and heatroller.

I have been using their heated gloves and liners about 10 years.

If you are serious about riding in the cold, get the gloves, jacket liner and DUAL heatroller. Dual heatroller allows you to run gloves at one temp, liner at another. You will usually run gloves hotter than jacket.

WnS is not cheap (but the gloves in the link are on sale!) But they make quality stuff and back it up! My first pair of gloves lasted 9 years! Still have my original liner and heatroller.

Other great thing is that you can use it on multiple bikes, just by adding a connector. Hard to move heated grips from bike to bike. My St1100 does not have heated grips. I need to get a connector on the FJ soon...

I've ridden hundreds of miles in temps below 30f. Coldest for me was 13f. That was cold enough even with 'letrics.

Pop for them! You will wonder why you didn't do it sooner!

Now... if only I could stop my eye glasses from fogging up.
LASIK eye surgery ?? Had mine done in 2000 and it’s been amazing.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

• Supporting Member

Got any pics of those hand guards on the bike?
Here ya go. 

IMG_0264.jpgIMG_0273_2.jpgIMG_0274.jpg

• Supporting Member
IMG_0273_2.jpg
They seem like they'd shield well, and look alright too... do they bolt straight on or did you have to do any hacking?
@piotrek  They use the lever pivot bolts as the inside mount and bar end weights (or whatever you thread into your bar end) as the outside mount.  They dont have a metal backbone, but I dont ride my bike offroad, the plastic shield offers more than adequate protection from cold wind as well as flying road debris. 

Thanks everybody! This is very useful. I do intend to replace the stock hand guards too so good to include that info also.
2017 FJ-09 - Yoshimura Y-series Exhaust / MRA Sport Screen / Evotech Rad Guard & Fork Sliders / Custom LED Rear Tail Light / Lowering Links / Mirror Extenders / Low Seat / Tail Tidy / Shogun Swingarm Sliders - Touring mods > Madstad 20" screen (on standby) / SHAD SH36 Hard Cases / SW-Motech Rear Alu-rack - Mods not yet installed > Fender Extender - Mods on the way > MT09 Adventure Pegs / Sargent seats / Knuckle Guard leds / Speedtech Photon Flush Mount LED signals / SW Motech Frame Sliders

I have a pair of Alpinestar Goretex gloves as well, I am not so certain how they will do as the weather approaches freezing but for most of the winter mornings around here in the high 40 range I do believe they will serve me well. The few rides I've done in mid 50 weather with them have proven that they do not let my hands get cold, but rather the feeling is more of a high 70's day with plain summer leathers. 

Those are the warmest best winter gloves I have ever owned. And some asshole stole them.

Get some, and then hide them!

Archived