Lurker

okyammy

Just lurking around and probably will for awhile so I decided to register. Been around bikes for a while and have owned a few bikes over the years. My present bikes are a 2017 Z900 (Hooligan bike), 2016 Ducati XDS (Hot Rod) and my commuter/touring bike is a 2015 BMW R1200RS. Changed to the Beemer from a long run with several Concours 1400's, in large part because of weight. The Beemer is a very nice bike, handles very well, exceptional breaks, looks great, very comfortable and has all the bells and whistles i.e. cruise, heated grips, ESA suspension, etc. The things I don't like is the clunky, loose transmission and the sound of the boxer motor. Motor characteristics aren't bad but I really miss being able to rev out an inline four or triple. Oh, and the instrument cluster pretty much sucks for such a high end bike.

So, this brings me to why I'm here. Been keeping Tabs on the new models being released next year and the one that really caught my eye is the Tracer 900GT. The Tracer ticks all the boxes for me and I have ridden a 2015 FJ-09 so I am familiar with the motor and ergos. Just going to hang around here until the GT is available and then I'm pretty sure I will sale my RS and pick one up. Looking forward to getting to know the Yammy, it will be my first one. Well if you don't count the two PW50's in the garage for the grandkids. 

You dont need to wait till the new Tracer900 GT is out...

Buy a leftover FJ-09
- install upgraded suspension of your choice
- install heated grips
- buy bags of your choice
- buy the 2WDW ECU tune with QS unit
- seat and windshield are almost changed out as its quite a personal touch...
- Higdonion Cage
- install Cruise Control
- aftermarket exhaust if you want

×× end results are a custom fit bike for you at less then a cost of a new Tracer900 GT before you start even farkling that bike...

your only gonna miss out on a fancy color display dash and 2 more lvls of Traction Control, from what I can see...
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

• Premium Member
Welcome aboard, I guess with all the rumors and speculation, I think I would wait until you can see/ride the new bike before deciding. The used/older FJ-09's aren't going to get more expensive, although you may find it harder to find them if you wait too long.

Buy a leftover FJ-09
- install heated grips
- Higdonion Cage
- install Cruise Control

×× end results are a custom fit bike for you at less then a cost of a new Tracer900 GT before you start even farkling that bike...

your only gonna miss out on a fancy color display dash and 2 more lvls of Traction Control, from what I can see...
This. Brand new '15's and '16's can be found for used bike prices (ish) if you look hard enough. Plenty of $$ left over to the above listed mods. Of course, if you need the next year or so to save, that's a different story. 

'15 FJ09

• Supporting Member
Buy a leftover FJ-09
- install heated grips
- Higdonion Cage
- install Cruise Control

Exactly this^^^ Except for the factory quick shifter, I have already made every change/upgrade to my leftover 2015 that they are offering on the GT.  It has the monochrome LCD display but it IS the GT model in practically every way.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Buy a leftover FJ-09
- install heated grips
- Higdonion Cage
- install Cruise Control

Exactly this^^^ Except for the factory quick shifter, I have already made every change/upgrade to my leftover 2015 that they are offering on the GT.  It has the monochrome LCD display but it IS the GT model in practically every way.

Not to mention I need to sale the Beemer and that likely is not going to happen until this Spring. You guys provide good advice but I will have the money so money not being an issue I would rather purchase the bike as-is and just ride. I've been there and done that with a dozen other bikes already. My day's of extensive mods to create the "bike" are gone. I know that the GT is the one as-is. I find myself riding a lot more and wrenching less except for maintenance.

• Supporting Member
I would rather purchase the bike as-is and just ride. I've been there and done that with a dozen other bikes already. My day's of extensive mods to create the "bike" are gone. I know that the GT is the one as-is. I find myself riding a lot more and wrenching less except for maintenance.
I sure respect that mindset of "buy it and ride it as-is".  The GT will be one hell of a bike!  I'm the type that loves to tweak and tinker, I can never leave well enough alone.   

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I sure respect that mindset of "buy it and ride it as-is".  The GT will be one hell of a bike!  I'm the type that loves to tweak and tinker, I can never leave well enough alone.   

I understand, I'm that way myself. So far I have only managed to add a tail tidy and a slip-on exhaust on the Z900. Pretty happy with the bike so likely not to do much more other than well, maybe suspension. Crap, here I go again.  ::)

• Premium Member
I hope the new seat for the GT is comfortable and not like the previous seat. When I first Demoed the FJ09 back in 2015 I knew right away the seat had to go. What is it with Yamaha and their idea of a seat? In all fairness It's the same with Harley's. Their stock seats suck too...
A Motorcyclist's Church is the open road....

• Premium Member
I hope the new seat for the GT is comfortable and not like the previous seat. When I first Demoed the FJ09 back in 2015 I knew right away the seat had to go. What is it with Yamaha and their idea of a seat? In all fairness It's the same with Harley's. Their stock seats suck too...
I wouldn't get my hopes up martyl since even Yamahas comfort seats are uncomfortable, but they do make great pianos
BLB

even Yamahas comfort seats are uncomfortable, but they do make great pianos

Well, when you make hard-wood benches for a living are you surprised they don't know how to do padding? I think we've been riding it all wrong - put on your swallow tail tuxes, toss them behind you in a flourish as you mount, and let your fingers dance on the color LCD keyboard/buttons. Only thing missing is the paying audience and applause as you seamlessly accelerate into the distance.

I wouldn't get my hopes up martyl since even Yamahas comfort seats are uncomfortable, but they do make great pianos
Those piano benches are not exactly comfortable either.  :) 

• Premium Member
Helping: the Yamaha dealer in Sublimity, OR has a couple of 2016s in stock advertised for $7999 with no added freight/setup. Oregon doesn't have sales tax so out-of-state purchases should be easy. Even if you pay Oregon title/registration you're looking at $8289 OTD, maybe less with haggling.

• Supporting Member
Helping: the Yamaha dealer in Sublimity, OR has a couple of 2016s in stock advertised for $7999 with no added freight/setup. Oregon doesn't have sales tax so out-of-state purchases should be easy. Even if you pay Oregon title/registration you're looking at $8289 OTD, maybe less with haggling.

I’ve never heard of Sublimity, but what an awesome name for a town...

That’s a great deal on a great motorcycle. It amazes me that there’s still so much excess FJ09 inventory scattered around the country.

• Premium Member
I’ve never heard of Sublimity, but what an awesome name for a town... 
That’s a great deal on a great motorcycle. It amazes me that there’s still so much excess FJ09 inventory scattered around the country.
Sublimity certainly sounds better than "Boring." We have one of those, too.

The dealer is Power Yamaha. It's a few miles east of Salem. They're a larger dealer and seemed to have bucked the national trend, selling through quite a few FJs. At one time they had 20+ 2015s in stock and sold through all of them.

They did a crappy job of prepping my FJ when I bought it, but otherwise they've been fine. I like that their advertised prices include freight+setup, helps cut through the BS.

Archived