Well... could have been a LOT worse.

• Supporting Member
Back pressure is magic. Trust me, I'm an engineer.
Engineering and magic don't reconcile well in my head :P . Wouldn't the rest of the missing exhaust system provide the restriction that would yield similar dyno results? Like I said... incomplete system. 

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

Engineering and magic don't reconcile well in my head tongue.png . Wouldn't the rest of the missing exhaust system provide the restriction that would yield similar dyno results? Like I said... incomplete system.
You are right in this case. The system is too open and needs some kind of 'back pressure'.  
I consider anything that cannot be solved analytically (conventionally) to be magic. The math regarding back pressure CANNOT be solved in the conventional sense. Computer simulations, (Computational Fluid Dynamics, CFD) are run to best approximate what the system *should* do. But at the end of the day, high temperature thermofluid problems are chaotic and have to be empirically tested. No amount of computers or math will suffice. 

This youtube provides a nice explanation. It may also give you a headache.

jjPeP_Nn2B4

'15 FJ09

• Premium Member
You are right in this case. The system is too open and needs some kind of 'back pressure'.  
I consider anything that cannot be solved analytically (conventionally) to be magic. The math regarding back pressure CANNOT be solved in the conventional sense. Computer simulations, (Computational Fluid Dynamics, CFD) are run to best approximate what the system *should* do. But at the end of the day, high temperature thermofluid problems are chaotic and have to be empirically tested. No amount of computers or math will suffice....
Great video... I'd seen this before and actually enjoyed it. I recall driving behind a BMW car a couple of years ago, and noticed that the exhaust system had a butterfly valve on one of the muffler exit pipes. It would close when stopped and open when the car was at speed. That was apparently to 'regulate' exhaust velocity. We digress of course... I am sure @joeszup had already taken a hammer to the other two pipes. grin.png
LOL... 
Actually, I bought those pipes up for sale from empire00.  When I get them, they are going to be sanded and repainted black (with Rustoleum High Heat Automotive paints).  I also ordered a Higdonion "Trail cage and skidplate" in flat black.  Probably won't get around to setting up my paint tent until spring, but I'll post pictures when it's put together.  For now, I'll just ride with the unintended increased performance :)

Archived