Auto canceling turn signals.

'cos they're a feckin PITA.   My BMW had them. 

Police training tells you that before you change any direction at least three flashes - this gives time to the cretins around you to consider what you might do next - then the brake light comes on (if needed) even if you're not braking very much, progressive braking (no sharp stabs).

99% of the time it's fine.  But on longer more complex manoeuvres (particularly slip roads off the motorway (freeway)) where you would reasonably expect to start to indicate at the 300yd marker, then just as you come to actually make your move the indicator is off! (switching the indicator on twice for the same thing just isn't natural!)

The thing to do is learn to ride your bike so turning off the indicator is part of a fixed procedure, so it just becomes a natural part of EVERY manoeuvre (even if the decision is not to indicate...if there are no other road users around, why would you?)

TUG (Take Understand Give) that's all about mirrors, signals,...including body and bike position to reinforce your message...this applies all through the other stages of "The System".

And "The System" is .. IPSGA = Information (TUG), Position, Speed, Gear, Acceleration (final speed choice really)

That is every single thing you see, you start the IPSGA steps again (even if you're part way through from your first observation).  that way you have a procedure which becomes second nature and you don't have to "remember" to do something.

Honda SS50, Kawasaki Z200, Honda 400/4, Yamaha TDM900, Yamaha XT660Z Tenere, KTM 990 Adventure, BMW R1200GS, Mr Stevens, and my favourite of all: Yamaha MT-09 Tracer...a bit like FJ-09 only properly named :¬P

• Supporting Member
they are real...https://www.safer-turn.com/us/
Just checked out their website.  When you do a “check for compatibility”, they will email you a promo code for 10% discount and free shipping. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I purchased a safer turn module. I did not install it because it required cutting cables to install and a flat horizontal location for the module. I was hoping for an easier install and could not bring myself to cut wires. Also, the install required that foam inserts to be placed inside the turn signal switch box. Seems like a major hack to get it to work. 

I had them on my beemers.  Still manually canceled the signals because they stayed on too long.
Yes, I agree. Too long,...or not long enough....never just right!
Honda SS50, Kawasaki Z200, Honda 400/4, Yamaha TDM900, Yamaha XT660Z Tenere, KTM 990 Adventure, BMW R1200GS, Mr Stevens, and my favourite of all: Yamaha MT-09 Tracer...a bit like FJ-09 only properly named :¬P

My 1977 Yamaha RD400 has them. Never understood why all bikes don't have them like cars.
My 1979 RD has some sort of detector mounted in the speedometer to cancel them when the bike moves a certain distance along with a timed cancel unit. I am one of the ones who always forgets them on when riding the FJ!

• Supporting Member
I purchased a safer turn module. I did not install it because it required cutting cables to install and a flat horizontal location for the module. I was hoping for an easier install and could not bring myself to cut wires. Also, the install required that foam inserts to be placed inside the turn signal switch box. Seems like a major hack to get it to work. 
That sounds like a total PITA... I think I will save the $100. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• 3 months later...
I got an STS module for my ST1300. Followed the instructions and discovered that I lost the emergency flashers. This was a defect in the instructions. Their customer service guy answered all my questions, and provided conflicting information on how to correct this. The proper info was eventually posted on the ST website but when I made the modifications, I might have crossed two wires and blew up the module. They replaced it free, but there were quite a few back an forth emails and several other guys were having the same (no flashers) problem - short story group pressure probably got me the replacement, and corrected instructions.

The thickness of the foam pads in the turn switch is critical - at least on the ST. Yes it takes fiddling around and cutting the wiring harness. IN the end, most of the guys who got theirs to work on the ST website were happy with them.

When I installed mine, I cut the bike's harness and put in bullet connectors so that I could just plug in the STS module or remove it and run stock. I'm currently not using it. I have to clean and lube my turn signal switch and get it to operate properly with the foam pads - this will happen next winter's layup.

The STS is one solution to a problem that might not exist. Some guys operate well without self cancelling signals, some of us leave them on far, far too long. Installing the module is not plug and play - only you can decide if its worth the work. FWIW, working on the ST is a bit of a pita because fairing removal is needed to get to the wiring harness, yet more than a few guys have made the modifications and use the STS module happily. The FJ install should be easier....

Archived